deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Momma's Angels  (Read 710 times)

gomommago

• Decks
[Modern] Momma's Angels
« on: December 04, 2015, 04:36:01 am »
Momma's Angels

Momma likes flyers...and Angels...and Control.  I built this deck as an answer to the Dark Art that was so prevalent in my son's first magic decks. I've found it has some staying power, even if it's greatest strength is its surprise factor.  The sideboard's still a bit weak, but I'm working on it!

mb

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: [Modern] Momma's Angels
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 06:42:48 am »
     Hello Mother, I am referred to as G. Moto and it is a pleasure to meet you. I want to first start off by saying that I feel that it is commendable that you are taking a positive and proactive approach towards your son's situation. I know and I hope that you understand that Magic the Gathering is simply an ever growing story based off of fiction that was turned into a card game. Knowing all this I would like to engage this topic from a multi-faceted view. Most Japanese fiction involves the supernatural to some extent. This is mostly because humans fight the monsters that in some scenarios people become or produce. People aren't bad and we sometimes walk in the darkness because we're trying to find our own path to walk, our own path to power so that we might be able to stand on our own two feet. To what degree the fiction delves depends solely on the story itself and the depth of the culture that it comes from.

I personally started out by playing yugioh (a similar card game) and has similar story/ philosophical themes to it. My own famiy had similar feelings on the subject. I understand the world of Magic the Gathering because I took the time to learn the truth behind it and the way that it is viewed from a world perspective. I myself are a christian so I understand why you would choose to oppose the darkness at the level you are engaging it. Darkness takes many fearsome shapes but similar to humans and their own inner natures we go through phases and growing pains which can seem at times frightening. I myself, who chose a White/Black vampire as my avatar used to once traverse the darkness on my own. My path was lonely and at a time darkness was all that I knew. However after learning to engage with other people and learning about how others live and feel I also learned how to grow as an individual. The darkness has influence but the fact is that it's a symbol of power gained from loneliness. That's why knowing what the colors mean and how they reflect with each and every individual changes.

I think that it's good of you mom to remind your son that the light still exists in the world. That is why I wish to help you if you would have me. But before you decide to make that choice let me first assist you in strengthening this deck;
    Firstly I believe that you are taking a good approach with this being your first deck. The light is good and it is pure, however it is not without its strengths and protections. Mono white is the epitome of protection so adding cards such as divine favor, armored ascension, divine verdict, indestructibility, undead slayer, white knight, cloud crusader, honor of the pure, aegis angel, grand abolisher, spirit mantle, angelic benediction, intrepid hero, Odric, master tactician, show of valor, angelic wall, banisher priest, brave the elements, celestial flare, dawnstrike paladin, fiendslayer paladin, imposing sovereign, seraph of the sword, soulmender, ephemeral shields, and marked by honor. Cards such as these give you a strong field presence and gives your deck the flexibility and strength.

The thing about white in magic the gathering is that the concept of protection goes far beyond just the creatures and the players. Really when you build your deck you are trying to send a message to the person that you are playing against. If you are doing this to show your son that you love him and want the best for him then use what he also loves and lead by example. He may be fond of the darkness now but that may be  him just trying to find himself. There is darkness in everyone but don't let that frighten you, you just have to show him that there's more to life than the dark side, and if you are even willing to give him some company then maybe he won't feel like that he has to stay there by himself. I know that I have never met you or your son before but I speak from experience; The darkness is only as welcoming as the person is to receive it. It's like a mirror but it only shows the negative. So once you step up from being mono white try out some new colors as well. Just show your son that you love and support him and that even you are willing to walk in the dark if it means showing him that there is a brighter side. Let me know what you think about our discussion and deck tips and i'll be more than glad to hear from you mother. And remember, people like you are always appreciated.   

gomommago

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 05:01:49 pm »
Hello, G.  And thanks for all of your comments!  I'm not really sure that my son has a "situation" - he's a pretty normal kid, though a bit smart for his own good sometimes.  His decks are varied...and he even has is own mono-white EDH deck that he regularly kicks my butt with.  No concerns with his flirting with the dark...I've done that a bit myself with other decks, though the white art will always be my favorite...

I do understand that there is quite a bit of lore around MTG - I was fortunate enough to share an evening with a couple of amazing players/judges/story tellers this summer.  Their knowledge of the lore was amazing, and I walked away from the evening with a new appreciation for the stories of the game.  Oh, if I had enough time to really dig into it!

Your deck recommendations are very good...and I've tried a few of your recommended cards as the deck has evolved over the last couple of years.  I'm sure I'll try a few more soon!

Two changes I made this weekend to the deck were to add one Chalice of the Void to my main board and one to my side; and 2x Suppression Field to the side.  I took the deck to the Denver SCG Modern IQ on Sunday, and the Chalice was responsible for more than one win.  Went 3-3 before I dropped, but my three wins were against some of my deck's worst matchups - tron, merfolk, and elves.  The deck performed admirably against burn and twin, but was blown out by jund (I never did get any of my sideboard on the table...).  So, I was more than pleased with how this worked.  Hopefully the deck continues to evolve as it matches against more decks.  Fun!

Thanks again for the feedback...and your thoughts on the game!

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 05:22:45 pm »
It's no problem and i'm just glad that i could help. Card games are a way for people to interact so if we're not growing as people then there's not much point to playing. I wish you the best of luck in thee future. If you ever have any other ideas feel free to send me a friend request or post on the forum and i'll be glad to help.