deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] My very first deck - Turbo Fog WUG  (Read 761 times)

isioo

• Decks
[Modern] My very first deck - Turbo Fog WUG
« on: December 05, 2015, 02:11:08 am »
WUG Turbo Fog - Modern ( http://deck.tk/0xOC6BLp )
by isioo

//Lands\
1 Adarkar Wastes\
1 Brushland\
4 Glacial Fortress\
3 Halimar Depths\
7 Plains\
2 Reliquary Tower\
2 Seaside Citadel\
3 Sunpetal Grove\
1 Yavimaya Coast\

//Spells\
3 Archive Trap\
2 Elixir of Immortality\
3 Ethereal Haze\
4 Fog\
4 Holy Day\
3 Howling Mine\
2 Jace Beleren\
3 Luminarch Ascension\
2 Rites of Flourishing\
1 Supreme Verdict\
3 Wrath of God\

//Creatures\
2 Hedron Crab\
2 Kami of False Hope\
2 Wall of Omens\

//Sideboard\
SB: 2 Surgical Extraction\
SB: 3 Story Circle\
SB: 2 Silence\
SB: 2 Day's Undoing\
SB: 2 Sphinx's Tutelage\
SB: 4 Leyline of Sanctity\

Hi. Here's my first deck. I restarted playing MTG, after about 15 years, just about some weeks ago. I was looking for a kinda cheap modern deck for local tournaments, what do you think about mine?

Stategy (kinda easy):
- start drawing every single card of my deck, while my opponent does so, avoiding damages when HPs become low using fogs
- Elixir of immortality, if necessary
- finish him with Jace, Archive Trap or Luminarch Ascension.

Any suggestion? :D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:20:36 am by isioo »

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: [Modern] My very first deck - Turbo Fog WUG
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 08:52:22 am »
I do have a few suggestions that may help you in the future;

1) as you use this deck keep in mind that there are many different color combinations that could benefit from you dropping cards in their graveyards. Even something as simple as a Golgari (B/G) or mono black deck can get stronger if you archive trap someone at the wrong moment. What i'm trying to say is cover your bases, if you're going for the mill then EXILE their graveyard as you do it. This way you can mill 13-20 cards in a single turn and not have to worry about revenant, pharika's mender or something nasty that could be a negative game changer for you.

2) Besides simply milling their deck you should incorporate a stronger control aspect to this deck. If you're going to play cards that protect your health then you should be doing something with the time that your cards are giving you. use the dual lands from tarkir instead of the lands that deal you health, and play some offensive creatures that give you a foot hold in the duel. If creature offense is not your main objective then use creatures that actually assist in this process such as the creatures from the azorius senate and the house dimir guilds. Their creatures are not necessarily combat oriented but their effects work well with creature, field AND milling.

3) Lastly play to the strengths of the colors themselves. With this deck you could use almost any card simply because of your elves. However because of this easy targeting might be a weakness for you. It would be no problem for someone to discard your hand, DRAIN your health or even mill you out. Cover your weaknesses and provide your deck some sort of offense as to make an appearance of strength and if you're going to play control then limit your opponent as much as possible. That means discarding, bouncing creatures, exiling cards and milling. That's how you should run this deck.   

isioo

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 01:05:23 pm »
Thanks for suggestions, sir.
How do you see for exemple one or two copies of Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger for the late-game in this kind of deck?
I think I could be able to play it kinda easily in the late game because of Rites of Flourishing.

And also, for the first point, I thought to four copies of Rest in Peace in my SB. How do you see it?
Imagine something like Elixir of immortality+Rest in Peace on the same turn, sounds cool, don't you think so?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 01:12:56 pm by isioo »

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 02:12:20 pm »
     As far as ulamog goes this is my feeling on him (and i say this because i actually have one but i choose not to use it); Ulamog, the ceaseless hunger is a LEGENDARY creature that you would normally tailor your around as its own deck focus. If you add ulamog to this deck then it would most likely throw off the flow of the deck because you're potentially tapping yourself out to get this behemoth of a creature on to the board. Now  I'm not saying you can not use it because its effect works every time it ATTACKS and not when it DEALS DAMAGE so that is an upside but really It would be best used in an all eldrazi deck. My own negativity towards him being in this deck is that all the colors being made are being put towards a colorless creature. If you do choose to play him then make sure you have plenty of dispel, cancel and maybe even some rashaka's disdain to make getting him on the board easier. Also if you played ulamog with alpha authority then he'd have hexproof and all he would need at that point would be to have trample. By that point the game would probably be over simply due to damage. I'm not going to say "don't use that card", what i'm going to say is "if you ARE going to use that card, make sure that it doesn't slow down or put too much strain on the deck itself". Last thing you need is a strong high drop creature in your hand and not be able to play it because your mana ramp creatures are getting blown away early game.

Also referring to the rest in piece that actually would make a good combo in this deck. Play at least 3 copies of elixir of immortality, that way you can have a a constant elixir loop going as long as you are playing. Adding cards like drake familiar, auramancer, griffin dreamfinder and other creatures that utilize the use of such enchantments can work in your favor. Honestly as far as exiling goes the methods that i most prefer are either; a) exile straight from the deck, this is where ulamog and other eldrazi with the ingest effect would be helpful, or b) drop cards from the deck to the graveyard and then exile at once. Playing cards like tome scour, mind sculpt, dreadwaters and maybe even trepnation blade on a flying shriekgeist would be dangerous as far as milling with creatures goes. If you wanted to you can place greater emphases on the NO HAND LIMIT aspect of the deck and play creatures like kruphix, the prophet of kruphix, strumgeist, divination, brilliant spectrum, and graceful adept would aid you in this process. Also if you played howlgeist and then played empyrial armor or righteous authority then you'd have a dangerous combo on your hands, even more so then ulamog. For life gain in this process phosphorescent feast and presence of the wise would suit this deck well. How does this sound to you so far?