deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] RDW  (Read 1750 times)

myhaiva

• Decks
[Standard] RDW
« on: December 06, 2015, 11:08:03 pm »
RDW (<= click this link to see decklist)

As all RDW decks the strategy is to strike before the ennemy can react and for that a Titan's Strength coupled with a Temur Battle Rage can boost a Monastery Swift Spear to a 6/5 Double Strike, Haste, Trample and Prowess.
The burn (Exquisite Firecrafts, Wild Slashes, Fiery Impulses) is mainly focused to bring down blockers, but can be used to finish an enemy.
Impact Tremors and Outpost Siege (sideboard in matchups versus control decks) verywell with the dragon fodders, hordeling outbursts, and dash creatures like Ligthning Berserkers, Zurgo, Bellstriker, and Goblin Heelcutters (sideboard in case of match ups with multiple blockers), the first dealing direct damage when creatures enter the battle field, and the second, when they leave it.
Wooded Foothills and Bloodstained Mires let you thin the number of lands. Since you only need four lands to play, when you start to have 4 lands (fecthes included), its time to fecth.
Sideboard:
Scab-Clan Berserkers is good against Control, dealing a hefty 2 damage each time your opponent counters a spell.
Goblin Heelcutter was mentionned above as well as Outpost Siege.
Roast is Good against decks with many blockers and Abzan Aggro Decks, burning trough Anafenza's and Siege Rhinos.
Reding Volley also, is good against decks with many blockers, but only if the creatures are white or blue, hence why there's two rather than three. It's also good to bring down an attacking Dragonlord Ojutai when playing versus Esper Dragons.
Boiling Earth is good against decks like yours, armies with small but numerous creatures

I just Wonder if i should remove the 2 Fiery Impulses and 2 Mountains and add a Cinder Glade, a Atarka's Command, a Smoldering Marsh, and a Kolaghan's Command. Since all my fetch could fetch these two nonbasic lands, its as if i had 9 of each (8 fetches that fecthes mountains and one of itself). so 9 out of 18 is okay. i wouldnt splash more than that though. so Should I?

feel free to make suggestion on how to make it better¸
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:53:12 am by myhaiva »

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: [Standard] RDW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 03:04:17 pm »
I think that you should keep the fiery impulse because with all the instances you already have you'd be dealing 3 damage for one mana every time. Also if you added evolving wilds instead of the fetches that deal 1 damage to you AND add akoum hellkite you'd be dealing damage every time a mountain enters your field. This would give you more incentive to play basic lands and you'd be dealing damage instead taking damage from your own cards.  Also if you play break through the line then your creatures that have 2 or less attack basically become unblockable. The best part is, once they fit that requirement then you can boost them up mid combat phase and you could have a 5/5 with double strike swing for 10 damage. All because of your 2 attack creature had titan's strength and temur battle rage. How do these suggestions sound to you?

myhaiva

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 04:41:00 pm »
Break through the lines: seems like a good option in some situation (like if i have a titans strength or two and a temurs)
Akoum hellkite: i find it too high on the mana curve for what it does, its like a thunderbreak regent but costs 2 more mana, and trades the 3 dps each time time its targeted for 2 dps when lands enter the battlefield.
Evolving wilds: the problem with it is that the lands enter the battlefield tapped, which causes a loss of tempo if i need the land right away. If it wasnt for that, id consider it. Also i dont mind losing 4-5 life to this the chances to draw a land.

I considered adding two thunderbreak regents and four draconic roars while removing two exquisite firecraft (with the dragons roar at instant speed rather than sorcery, it deals more damage per mana spent if i have a dragon), a zurgo (legendary creature, so down to two. I always end up having one in hand when i dont need it), 2 fiery impulse (because the dragons roars compensate, i keep the same number of burns but for one more mana i get to destroy a blocker AND throwing a lightning bolt straight in the face of my opponent), and just remove a chandra, while keeping one in the side (because she's too situationnal to go in the main deck). I also plan of removing a roast (because 3 would be too many) and the heelcutters (because i wouldnt side them many times) from side while adding three mardu scouts (three power for two manas fits well if i need to be even more aggressive) to it
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:51:50 pm by myhaiva »

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 05:18:41 pm »
Ok i understand what you're going for. So you want low drop spells AND creatures and the ability to constantly deal damage. Are you mostly going for the direct damage or the creature burn? Depending on what course you take the deck could quite possibly run differently.

myhaiva

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 07:53:30 pm »
Im going for beatdown :) drop low creatures, most often with haste, and use burn on blockers, tho i want to stay versatile on butns so that i can deal direct damage to finish/soften the ennemy. Tho the main strategy its to attack often and a lot. The biggest the punch the better. Impact tremord synergize well with the dragon fodder and hordeling outburst as well as dash costs because it deals soften the ennemy.
To answer your question: the burn is used to destroy blockers 75% of the time. But if it can deal direct damage at the szme time or instead of killing a blocket. Its better.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:01:41 pm by myhaiva »

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 08:36:19 pm »
Gotcha.Would you be willing to add black or white to this deck? I feel that if you had one more color you'd have faster plays and better coverage as far as effects go. Since your deck is standard and the blocks are tarkir and zendikar the general direction for most decks would be multi-colored. Mono red is ok if that's your choice but you will be limiting yourself heavily later on against most control and midranged based decks. Just food for thought.

myhaiva

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 09:43:17 pm »
Maybe for both, but i guess black would be easier with the fetches :)i prefer white though :)

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 10:11:29 pm »
Black is more straight forward while white has mass coverage. If you build mardu then you could really make a great deck using only low drop creatures. I actually have  a mardu deck if you want to take a look at it on my main page. You could play red creatures that have first strike and then use the black for death touch. That's an age old combo that never fails.

myhaiva

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 10:14:02 pm »
Ill test that new decklist (click the link again) on friday, then ill post how i do. I think Black is very appealing

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 10:17:54 pm »
ok i look forward to seeing it.

myhaiva

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 10:34:16 pm »
Made some morr changes because i dont like zurgo :) id prefer my deck to stay mono red unless the deck isnt competitive :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:36:21 pm by myhaiva »

myhaiva

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 09:18:12 pm »
Worked well, finished fourth out of 10. 2-0 vs a control deck, 2-0 vs an abzan aggro deck, 0-2 vs a landfall, and 0-2 versus dome kind of planeswalker control deck.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 11:39:20 pm »
Sounds like mission accomplished. Anything else you think you might need to change about it?

myhaiva

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 11:41:57 pm »
Ive put some abbots. Would neef to put some makindi sliderunner , become immense, cinder glade and scab-clan beserker in main board. Rather than dragon foddet or hordeling. These goblins are what they are: fodder.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 11:44:45 pm »
Alright and if you want try to add some more of the Gruul Clan cards for creature removal, strength and overall destruction.