deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] [Red/White/Blue] Jeskai Monks (Tempo/Anti-Tempo)  (Read 617 times)

Bane2k4

• Decks
[Standard] [Red/White/Blue] Jeskai Monks (Tempo/Anti-Tempo)
« on: December 19, 2015, 11:06:10 am »
[Red/White/Blue] Jeskai Monks (Tempo/Anti-Tempo)

Hey folks, just wanted to get some feedback on my decklist here; I've been running it at my local FNMs to great success, but wanted to get opinions from outside my local meta. So, without further ado:

Theme is Monks and Prowess. It's a tempo/anti-tempo deck that's designed to burn or bounce opponent's minions to clear a path for my minions to hit face with prowess triggers. Maintain your own tempo by screwing with your opponents!

Creatures:
4x Monastery Swiftspear are an obvious pick that I don't think needs explaining.

2x Elusive Spellfist - these were originally placeholders as I gathered Mantis Riders and Shu Yuns, but I've developed a love for them, so have kept 2 in; he can win you games with his unblockable prowess trigger.

4x Monastery Mentor should be an obvious choice as well - more sources of monks, more sources of prowess, more bodies on board.

4x Mantis Rider - is there any reason not to run these in Jeskai?

2x Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest - originally at 4, dropped to 2 as he can sometimes be a dead draw, and I wanted the Spellfists. Fantastic (and I honestly think underrated) card that can allow for a lot of burst damage. Seals the game a lot of the time.

Spells:
3x Twin Bolt, 2x Wild Slash, 2x Fiery Impulse for the burn core, all excellent and cheap ways to burn off enemy creatures so you can hit face. The former two can also be used to go for face, which is particularly handy against low creature count control decks.

4x Jeskai Charm because there is absolutely no reason to not run 4 of these in Jeskai - they're the MVP! All 3 choices are very strong, you just need to know when to use them; the bounce and the direct burn are the two I most commonly use, but the +1/+1 and lifelink is getting used more and more often and is swinging games in my favour.

3x Anticipate to fetch the answer you need. I have a love/hate relationship with this card, but feel it's strong enough and consistent enough to take the spots.

1x Treasure Cruise for that ridiculous card draw.

1x Dispel - this card has won me games so many times. Save it for when they attempt to interfere with you bouncing/burning/hitting face, or for when they attempt their own combo play, and you'd be surprised how much of an advantage it gives you.

2 Deflecting Palm - new additions I'm testing out currently, but am really enjoying it. Provides protection from unexpected OTKs, as well as giving you a potential surprise finisher.

Planeswalkers:
1 offs of both Narset and Chandra, because they're awesome and fit the deck perfectly. The former combos extremely well in multiple ways, the latter can generate phenomenal tempo and pressure. Either can become a win condition in their own right, but neither are required to win.

Lands:
I ran with a 20 land base for quite a while, but have just upped it to 24 to test consistency, and am liking it. All sources of white are from multi lands as I only have Mentors that are mono-white; 4 Battlefield Forges, 4 Prairie Streams, and 4 Mystic Monasteries give a solid core, and 6 Mountains & 6 Islands round out the base. I'm considering trying fetch lands, but I don't actually think it's quite necessary after upping to 24.

Sideboard has some obvious choices in it - 1 Crater's Claws for either blowing up a creature I wouldn't otherwise be able to deal with, or extra reach to finish my opponent; 2 Dispel, Horribly Awry, and Ojutai's Command to give me a variety of counters to adapt to my opponent; 2 Stasis Snare if they have minions that need dealing with straight away that I otherwise can't deal with; 2 Clutch of Currents for anti-tempo plays and to tech against bolster/etc mechanics; and finally, 2 Fate Forgotten and 2 Smash to Smithereens to give me a bit of artifact/enchantment hate.

Bane2k4

• Decks
Re: [Standard] [Red/White/Blue] Jeskai Monks (Tempo/Anti-Tempo)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 10:22:32 pm »
Is there no feedback on this then, folks? :(