deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Suggestions for a Worldslayer Lockdown Deck?  (Read 1912 times)

argetlam99

• Decks
Suggestions for a Worldslayer Lockdown Deck?
« on: January 23, 2016, 06:34:46 pm »
Worldslayer Lockdown

Lock down the opponent by swinging every turn with Worldslayer + indestructable creature. Lure + Darksteel Myr clears the way for an attack.

And it's $25. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

(I got the idea for the deck here, with minor changes: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/worldslayer-is-finally-playable/ )

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: Suggestions for a Worldslayer Lockdown Deck?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 05:43:45 pm »
      I do have a few suggestions for you that may give you some new ideas for this deck:

1) Firstly your choice for mono- Green was an interesting choice. If you add BLUE to this deck then you'll be able to use cards that have an affinity for artifacts. This way you can play your artifact spells and get an incentive for doing so. Assert authority would be a cheaper way of playing cancel, Chromescale drake helps you get your artifacts faster, Into thin air returns something you want to save and Quicksilver behemoth saves itself after combat.

2) Secondly Worldslayer's effect only works if the creature deals damage so you'll want to give it to a creature that either has trample, flying or unblockable. Personally green would be good at this and it wouldn't be hard to find an artifact creature that has that effect But Blue & White would probably serve you best in that regard. Also if you add white then you can play indestructibility and gift of immortality.

3) Lastly your signature card in this deck is an artifact that can destroy EVERYTHING. You'll not only want to play around this but you'll want to use this to your advantage. It destroys all permanents (including lands) so if you can find some indestructible mana sources then it would greatly help. Also if you added creatures that had PERSIST or UNDYING then you'll have an army of creatures that's ready for a swing to win the game AFTER you've already wiped the board. A great card to add to this deck (if you do play blue) would be to add psychic spiral. This way every single card in your graveyard that just got sent their, and throughout the game for that matter, can all be returned BACK to your deck. This way you can destroy all you want and not worry because you'll have deck recursion.

All of these suggestions were made with the idea of blue but if you don't choose to go this route then you can still use similar tactics with cards that fit this mechanic. Also if you're going to be blowing up fields then try some recursion tactics for your own deck and maybe implementing some discard and/mill against your opponent. This way they don't top deck into what they need or save anything in their hands for after you board wipe the field. These are just some ideas that I had, I hope that they help. 

argetlam99

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 07:33:26 pm »
Thank you so much for your time and ideas! Here are some of my thoughts:

It sounds like you might be a blue fan....so I'm sorry. I'm hesitant to splash it in, as there aren't very many low-cost artifacts to make affinity work in the deck, and the creatures die to Worldslayer. It's also partly personal preference, since I have more experience with faster, creature based decks, though I think you're totally right that adding control and taking time to set up the combo would work equally well in the long run.

Enchantments like Indestructibility and Gift of Immortality also die to Worldslayer, though maybe Rancor would work to get trample damage in? Not sure...

However, I think splashing black for discard and removal is a brilliant idea, to take care of any remaining threats in the hand (or field). The first things that came to mind were Dismember and Inquisition of Kozilek, though there are probably better options.

Because lands get destroyed with Worldslayer I think I should replace Rampant Growth with Darksteel ingot, and 4 Forests with Darksteel Citadel, so that I can play Inquisition of Kozilek (get rid of cheap spells) or Dismember (maybe on an indestructable creature?) even after wiping the board.

Probably not exactly what you had in mind, my apologies, but thank you again for the great suggestions. Cheers, and godspeed :)

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 10:36:17 pm »
     No it's fine man. Also it's not that I'm a blue fan its just that I saw the cards you were playing and I thought they'd have the  better interaction and playability considering the cards that you're using. But Green would work equally as well if you use some of the cards from the scars of miridin set. If you ran a Golgari (B/G) destruction deck then you'd be able to take advantage over your graveyard and the opponent's graveyards, destroy the field with no worries and still have the hand hate action going. Playing creatures like drainpipe vermin, black cat and slate street ruffian would all be good additions because win or lose your opponent is still losing cards. How do these suggestions sound? Also I'm a BLACK fan, I just tend to use Blue play styles and tactics when I build my decks. It throws the enemy off when one color behaves or plays like another one, you follow?

argetlam99

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 04:43:08 am »
Haha sorry for wrongly labelling you - I meant no offense by naming you a "Blue fan." :)

Thank you for the suggestions! I think I'll swap out Viridian Emissary for Black Cat, for a start. The one problem is that the whole deck would have to be redesigned to work with the graveyard more, and there's the issue of all mana being destroyed with each board wipe, which is a bit frustrating (it could be white and use Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Terra Eternal & Faith's reward? ...maybe another time).

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 04:54:31 am »
     Those actually would be better alternatives. With the way the deck is there are three methods that I see happening here;

1) Use white and use indestructible permanents (like any version of gideon jura who becomes an indestructible planeswalker or the version of avacyn you mentioned).

2) Play a deck that uses affinity for artifacts and artifacts that let you draw extra cards so that when you do blow up the field then your hand is already fully loaded.

3) Make a deck using black so that when you blow up their field you LOCKDOWN their hand by forcing them to discard their hand.

No matter which choice you take all are possible so long as you choose the right colors and cards for the job. Also sometimes you may have to break down the deck to build it up better. It's nothing that you're doing wrong its just a way to grow and learn. Just look at the three points that I just gave you, look at the cards you have and think, What would be the most efficient and productive way for me to play?