deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] G/R Omnath Ramp  (Read 1577 times)

PanicButton

• Decks
[Standard] G/R Omnath Ramp
« on: January 25, 2016, 11:02:02 pm »
G/R Omnath Ramp

An update to an Omnath deck that I have been running since BFZ.  Still has many problems, but with the new set I can start making it into a more robust landfall deck.

Focus is on ramping quickly with Sylvan Scrying, Nissa's Pilgrimage. Beastcaller Savant and Shaman of Forgotten Ways help ramp into larger creatures. Later game, Nissa's Renewal and Pulse of Murasa can provide much needed life or more landfall triggers.

Landfall takes a big role with Embodiment of Insight, Embodiment of Fury, Undergrowth Champion and Omnath, Locus of Rage all having enormous potential whenever a land is played.  These triggers are assisted by Mina and Denn, Wildborn and Sylvan Advocate.

A possible win condition involves using Temur Battle Rage and Become Immense to turn even a small creature into massive damage.

Sideboard is meant to be able to adapt to creature heavy aggro decks, although I think it still needs work.

In fact, I'm sure that the whole deck has more than a few problems, so if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:26:47 am by PanicButton »

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: [Standard] G/R Omnath Ramp
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 11:22:35 pm »
     I have a similar deck to this so I may offer some helpful advice for you.

1) The main key of this deck is to get those landfall triggers as often and consistent as possible. If you add slab hammer to this deck you can keep bouncing the same land back to your hand for that repeat landfall. This works especially great with rugged highlands because you'll be gaining life as you do so. Also if you add swell of growth then you can get landfall triggers on your opponent's turn as well. Add some seek the horizon and the cards that I suggested and you should be good as far as the landfall goes.

2) If you're playing omnath And the elf twins then landfall and elementals need to be a big component of the deck. Zendikar incarnate, grove rumbler, Akoum stonewaker, valakut predator and such creatures would be excellent because their effects work with the deck and there's an overall benefit when they survive combat and/or die (due to Omnath's death trigger).

3) The eldrazi PLEASE take those out of this deck. Those two cards are literal mana sinks for this deck and will only be a ink in your grand scheme. You'd be better off making this deck JUND or TEMUR than adding those cards. They've gt great effects but it would shift the focus of your deck way too much. Just focus on your elementals and the deck will be more streamlined and play better.

4) Lastly if you're going to be turning your lands into creatures then make sure you can protect those. Use cards like first strike and keep them out of combat as often as possible to avoid losing valuable mana sources.

How do these suggestions sound to you so far?

PanicButton

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 12:18:09 am »
Thanks for taking the time to help out, and yes, your suggestions make a lot of sense.

Honestly, I threw in the eldarazi just because I'm still not very good at deck building and get caught up in the whole "oooo, pretty..." mentality.

I was considering either Slab Hammer or Sword of the Animist for extra landfall triggers. I feel like both could help, but Slab Hammer might be more useful, especially if I have Mina and Denn out.

I'll fiddle around with the pieces a bit more until I have it ready to go.  Thanks again, I really appreciate your help

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 02:43:59 am »
     IT's no problem. Personally I'd prefer the slab hammer over the sword of the animist because with the sword if you're playing against an experienced player then the dual will most likely drag out and you'll run out of lands to fetch. If yo use the slab hammer then you can simply keep reusing the lands that you have. This way if you use the scry lands from Theros or the life gain lands from Tarkir you'll get that repeated effect AND the guaranteed land drop. Also the sword only works on basic lands while the hammer works on ANY land. Just food for thought.