deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Standard State Tourneys  (Read 4597 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Standard State Tourneys
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 07:24:04 am »
Pretty much nailed it on the head.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 07:37:51 am »
   Hah, and I don't even play meta magic. Best way to get rid of decks like that are as follows (in my opinion and from experience);

1) MATCH their creature output with token producers or dropping low drops as well.

2) Going after the player with direct damage. Hold off their creatures but focus on the PLAYER.

3) Rip their decks apart (not literally) but using mill, card discarding and wide scale burn damage that does not target. This can also be done by -x/-x creatures on the board (this works best if creatures are indestructible).

Your thoughts on this?

Frimmel

• Decks
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 01:48:50 pm »
  I'm not surprised, G/W humans in of themselves tend to have strong synergies regardless of the block. Are they seeing popularity because of collected company?

Not just Collected Company (COCO) but because of all the good removal white has at the moment chiefly Declaration in Stone which is Wrath of God to token creatures and of course Descend upon the sinful which just exiles everything. And there is some angel card that is supposed to be really good and she can be played at instant speed to save all your creatures.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 03:58:39 pm »
   Hah, and I don't even play meta magic. Best way to get rid of decks like that are as follows (in my opinion and from experience);

1) MATCH their creature output with token producers or dropping low drops as well.

2) Going after the player with direct damage. Hold off their creatures but focus on the PLAYER.

3) Rip their decks apart (not literally) but using mill, card discarding and wide scale burn damage that does not target. This can also be done by -x/-x creatures on the board (this works best if creatures are indestructible).

Your thoughts on this?

This is pretty much my philosophy as well. Usually I concentrate on field presence and disruption of some sort. I've even been known to include something in a deck that fits the deck but that isn't necessarily part of my win-cons as a distraction (Xenagos PW in Gruul aggro shell, fits the deck and is useful but gain the opponents attention while you do something different).
This space for rent.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 04:04:06 pm »
  I'm not surprised, G/W humans in of themselves tend to have strong synergies regardless of the block. Are they seeing popularity because of collected company?

Not just Collected Company (COCO) but because of all the good removal white has at the moment chiefly Declaration in Stone which is Wrath of God to token creatures and of course Descend upon the sinful which just exiles everything. And there is some angel card that is supposed to be really good and she can be played at instant speed to save all your creatures.

Exactly.

White has the best removal right now with green (IMO) a distant second. Combine that with the synergy of the humans in the two colors and it makes a pretty formidable deck.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 06:22:49 pm »
   This all makes sense. So really ALL the tribes have the potential to take over the meta but G/W humans have the most synergies and power supporting them. This is what I see when it comes to the tribal decks;

W/U- Spirits      U/R- Self mill/burn       B/R- Devils/Vampires         R/W- Angels/Humans          G/W- Humans
W/B- Clerics      U/B- Zombies              B/G- Horrors                     R/G- Werewolves                G/U- Investigation

Most of these are pretty good and get even better if you add a 3rd color to the decks. Fr example, the Spirits seem a bit lacking but just by adding Black or Red changes the whole outlook and play style of the deck. I think once people find the right combos AROUND the meta but can still give their decks a concrete core COCO decks may have a fearsome challenge.