deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: How many counterspells is "too many"?  (Read 10734 times)

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
How many counterspells is "too many"?
« on: February 16, 2016, 09:04:19 pm »
Let's call this a "Modern" question, although I suppose it is applicable in any of the formats. 

I have a lot of decks that just do stupid stuff (really fun, but stupid).  A couple of them are pure control.  All they do is stop the opponent from doing what the opponent wants to do.  Part of this strategy is counterspells.  I frequently (almost exclusively) run two different ones.  Remand and Rune Snag.  the decks that are pure control typically run 8 counterspells.  Because reasons. 

The amount of counterspells stems from my paper magic playgroup, which is comprised of basically 3 guys who just build dumb decks that do ridiculous stuff (emrakul turn 2, etc.).  So part of it stemmed from necessity.  They all run 4+ counters. 

When I transition to playing these same decks on MTGO or at my LGS, i see a lot of people are not ok with counters.  I'm running about 30% of my mtgo games the person quits after i cast the first counterspell.  So i'm wondering, from you the people, how many counters is too-many counters?  I get that they're the cruelist of cruel, and nobody likes them.  But realistically, they're here, we have to live with it.  So how far is too far?
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

DelverMage

• Decks
Re: How many counterspells is "too many"?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 09:37:03 pm »
If they think 8 is too many, try to build something like this.....
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/boab/10

deaddman9

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 12:39:06 am »
I personally never play counters, but I have no problem with them. It's a card for a card. In my opinion, if you're deck gets overwhelmingly screwed over by counters, then you're relying too much on synergy.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 05:37:55 am »
    I play a lot of different decks; aggro, mid-ranged, and sometimes control as well. I add counters to my deck as protection, not as the backbone of the deck. If you want to build a deck focused on just countering people and nothing else you'll probably have less friends to play with later.However if your deck has a personal goal such as some modified Azorius decks or life gain to win then it's completely understandable. Just try not to let the counter spells be what defines your deck and just use them sparingly. If you need more that's what a sideboard is for.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 12:09:35 am »
All depends on what is acceptable in the meta.

At my previous shop any degree of control was acceptable, the owner had a Talrand EDH deck that was literally 30 counterspells, ways to recur to them, and ways to steal your stuff.

However at my current shop, more than two-three counterspells is greatly frowned upon and gets you targeted quickly.

Find the balance for the meta and stick with it.
This space for rent.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 01:14:20 am »
One can never have to many especially if you are winning consitanly with it. Those of us groan when
we see it, but agree it's part of the game. Accept, Adapt and Adjust I always say. Accept it's part of the
game, Adapt that you will have to encounter it, and Adjust and find a way to beat it. Since countering is
part of the game, so isn't sideboarding. Understand, Use and Utilize. Understand you can have one, Use
it to face certain situations and utilize the potentital to win against those situations.

So go ahead and constanly win with your counters. Me crying, whinning, moaning on how it isn't fair or
boring, isn't helping myself be creative to actually beat you. I admit I don't care much for blue, but by
scoping and quitting I am not learning how to deal with blue.

Thing I do know , is making you use the counter spell when I want you to , not when you want or need to.
Example: I have 2 cards to play and know you have 1 counter. I need to play the weaker card making
you counter it so I can play my stronger card.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:15:37 am by robort »
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

EBWonder

• Doing the voodoo that I do so well
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 09:54:50 pm »
As a blue player...

60 counters is too many. Anything less is just child's play.
Isochron Scepter - countersquall FTW!

As a non-blue player...

Counter will only last for so long against weenie rush, honestly. what are you going to do? counter/bounce til your deck runs out?

most people on MTGO quit after a counterspell because they fell they have nothing to deal with it.

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 09:57:23 pm »
what are you going to do? counter/bounce til your deck runs out?

Funny Story...
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 03:15:10 pm »
     That countersquall is nasty in a grixis deck :)