deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Landfall Control can I get a deck review  (Read 2362 times)

drrizzy

• Decks
[Modern] Landfall Control can I get a deck review
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:40:35 pm »
Dear MTG friends,
I am a "noob" at MTG (I started playing when Battle for Zendikar came out).  I have been playing mostly aggro decks in Modern and aggro to midrange decks in Standard.  This is the first control deck I ever built.  The idea of it is to control the board, get Halimar Tidecaller and Mina and Denn Wildborn out as soon as possible (turn 4-5 hopefully for Mina and Denn and turn 2-4 for Halimar Tidecaller, depending on the board), then get out Rampaging Baloths and/or Embodiment of Insight for landfall mayhem.

I have a few questions on this very new idea for a deck.  The first is about the creature count.  The second is just asking for everyone's input.

Thank you for your time and kindness in looking at my "home-brew".
Steve

Landfall Control

The idea of this deck is to control the game until I can get out cards like Mina and Denn Wildborn, Embodiment of Insight, and Rampaging Baloths.  From there I use landfall to generate beast tokens and hurt my opponent.

Bane2k4

• Decks
Re: [Modern] Landfall Control can I get a deck review
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 11:20:37 pm »
I like the deck idea! As a fan of landfall decks, it's nice to see others doing it, and doing their very own spin on it :D

In terms of your questions - creature count in a control deck can be quite low. I count 12 in your build, and I'd say that number is fine.

As for general critique/suggestions/feedback:
 - I don't think you need the white. Making it 4C purely for the sakes of a Wall and a board wipe aren't worth it imo, and you should stick to Temur. That way, your land base will be easy to manage. Also, as someone who runs 3C (Naya) Landfall in Modern, 24 is the sweet spot for number of lands imo, and I would avoid using lands that forcibly enter tapped (eg Scry Lands), as you need them untapped to truly combo out with Mina and Denn.
 - Consider Lightning Bolt - they're not absolutely vital, but they are very, very good removal, and its in your colours.
 - Consider Remand (the price has crashed atm as well, so its the best time to buy/trade for them!) as you want to stall them whilst you assemble your win con, and it does both.
 - Instead of Wall of Omens, run Courser of Kruphix - they're the best accelerator in the game for Landfall decks imo. I'd strongly advocate a playset if you can make the room.
 - Pulse of Murasa is very good in Landfall and even better in your deck as it allows you to recycle the lands you've been using offensively/defensively. It might be too tight for you to fit, however.
 - Another great card for this type of deck is Atarka's Command, but they're a bit pricey.

I'm not saying you should or could do all the suggestions above, but it's just some tips and cards to think on that I've played with in similar decks and found to be very effective.

Hope the deck does well for you bud!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:23:52 pm by Bane2k4 »

drrizzy

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 06:01:12 am »
Dear Bane2k4,
I like your suggestions and will look into it.  I really appreciate the feedback on this deck.  You had some great ideas.
Steve

jaceperry

• Planeswalking to all planes 1 at a time
  • Decks
Re: Landfall Control - Comments
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 06:08:57 am »
Ok I would consider splashing black. Specifically duress or putting infinite obliteration in. If they manage to get sire of stagnation on the field they screwed you badly. Infinite obliteration you can remove thier sires and duress you can use to get rid of say cards like Crux of fate kind of field wipes.
Mind Mage at heart.

drrizzy

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 06:32:47 am »
Thank you for your advice as well jaceperry.  I am still reviewing the deck and will probably repost soon.

SeDuKon

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 07:37:11 pm »
I have a landfall deck that I built but still tweaking it to get it to flow better. take a look at it. It might be able to give ya some ideas