deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Tips to help mana (EDH)  (Read 2409 times)

Mad Habber

• Decks
Tips to help mana (EDH)
« on: February 27, 2016, 10:45:46 pm »
http://deck.tk/4eKF2ZuU

Looking to improve coloured mana..I don't want to pay more than ten bucks for a single card...Since I'm pretty new at this I will take tips in general as well, if you have any. :)

ladof

• Decks
Re: Tips to help mana (EDH)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 12:38:25 am »
Ancient Ziggurat is a good 5-color land (only for creatures, though.) Darksteel Ingot is an artifact that can be helpful. Rainbow Vale can be a bit tricky, but is still 5 color. Unknown Shores is essentially 5 color, except it adds 1 to every cards CMC if you need it for colored land. Unless there is a specific reason for the gates that I'm not seeing, you might want to find the 5 tri-lands from Khans of Tarkir and replace the guild gates.

Other things you could do is some deck thinning with searches and such. Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse will let you find a specific basic land at no cost (other than coming into play tapped.) Sylvan Scrying just got reprinted in BFZ, so is pretty cheap and will let you find your Command Tower or other useful land.

5 color decks are tricky, especially if you're trying to do it on the cheaper side and not buy fetch lands and the good dual lands (I understand; I only have the fetches I was lucky enough to pull from KTK. They're pricey buggers.)
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 10:31:05 pm »
Land Tax will help getting more lands (basic ones) into your hand.

Evolution and Burgeoning will help with putting lands out.

Birds of Paradise or any other mana dork (Avacyn's Pilgrim, Elvish Mystic, Elves of Deep Shadow, etc.) will help out
This space for rent.

entropize

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 02:01:53 am »
I like to use mana confluence, reflecting pool and holdout settlement for multiple mana. Murmuring bosk is also useful for black, green, and white decks. There is also city of brass.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 05:39:02 am »
     Well since you're using Green you can use some of the new Zendikar spells to add some mana ramp to your deck. Use swell of growth and you can play the dual lands on your opponent's turn, this way they'll be untapped by the time its your turn. Also playing natural connection, and seek the horizon would be good ways to get specific mana colors to your hand and/or field.

CommanderMeanderer

• Previously Iceburgh EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 04:25:56 am »
Hey there!

Well I don’t have a lot of advice on the mana base since I’ve never made a five color deck before. But I always though Transguild Promenade would be a good choice for five color decks. Sure it’s a bit of a tempo hinderance, but I don’t think it’s that much worse than a Karoo land and it gives you access to all 5 colors in one land. (Also, it’s super cheap to buy)

I understand that this is a political deck, but I still think you want to add some removal. Part of a healthy game is removal, especially when you're facing down a turn four Terastodon off of your Braids, Conjurer Adept. You might want a simple Counterspell to stop a player mid-combo. (You can even go with more "friendly" counter spells, like Dream Fracture or Arcane Denial.) Plus if you want this deck to win you can't just let one player build up a massive advantage from your cards and then try to win one-on-one. Remember they have a whole deck designed to advance their own strategy, and a majority of your deck is helping them too. You need some cards to reel them in at the end.

A few of your card choices seem a bit off to me. First up is Primal Vigor, which is a very strong and good card. However, since it is a universal effect, it makes some of your cards strictly worse for you. Any of your “hunted” creatures will give double tokens, Sheltering Ancient is now twice as good-for an opponent, etc. Now Primal Vigor is giving you a disadvantage from your own cards, and at best your other mirror effects will simply cancel out with the tokens you give your opponent.
Personal Sanctuary only has one card to protect you from, and that’s Heartless Hidetsugu. How often are you planning to win through a combo with him? It's a useless card probably 90% of the time for you, and this deck doesn’t support digging for a combo (Hello Gisela, Blade of Goldnight and Heartless Hidetsugu). Personal Sanctuary works a bit with Ruric Thar, the Unbowed, but he’s another card that I don’t think fits too well with the deck. He’s more group slug than group hug, and you still have a decent amount of non-creature spells that he’ll hurt you for casting.

There are a couple cards that you have that I also think there are better (and still cheap) alternatives for. I’d like to see Riot Control become Illusionist’s Gambit. It still protects you from a combat step, but it can also potentially punish the attacking players board state or kill another player in the new combat step since the creatures have to attack. Seed the Land could strictly upgrade to Zendikar’s Roil, although I’m guessing you chose Seed the Land for group hug reasons?

You have a nice little enchantment sub-theme here. Therefore, I’d like to swap out Prized Unicorn for Noble Quarry. It has synergy with Open the Vaults (since it’s going to definitely die pretty quickly) and Simic Guildmage. You even get extra use out of it out of bestow. Also, it is 2G instead of 3G for the mana curve.
I have a similar argument for swapping True Believer to Aegis of the Gods. It has enchantment synergy and is 1W instead of WW, which makes a huge difference in a five color deck.

Anyway, there’s a lot here for a discussion on mana help that isn't about mana... oops. Guess I'll leave it here.

Hope I helped and happy deck building!
Disclaimer: I am a casual player. I hope to help in all of my posts, but my opinion and suggestions are not perfect. Please correct me on any wrong or non-optimal information.