deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Zurgo+Hero's Blade Suggestions  (Read 4760 times)

Cornchucker

• Decks
Zurgo+Hero's Blade Suggestions
« on: March 01, 2016, 01:54:00 pm »
I'm looking to get some input on this deck. I haven't play tested it yet, so bare with me. The main idea is to use zurgo bellstriker dash ability and hero's blade along with prowess triggers from the other creatures in the deck to put up some big hit numbers fast. I'm using weaponsmith to make the cost of hero's blade essentially free. He will also help get out pyromancers goggles. Any and all suggestions on possible improvements on main and sideboard is appreciated. Thx

http://deck.tk/3oAZ8pW0

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: Zurgo+Hero's Blade Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 06:43:25 pm »
Adding impact tremors would be good since you'll be dashing. Also maybe adding more blue spells such as cancel and aqueous form would be good if you want to leave zurgo or another creature on the field for some heavy unblockable hits. Normally I would recommend adding enchantments such as lightning talons but depending on which creatures you keep on the field that has prowess it would work to your benefit.

Cornchucker

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 07:28:32 pm »
I guess I should have mentioned that I wanna run this in standard format, so lightning talons wouldn't work.Also, I do have dispel and mindswipe in the sideboard if needed.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 08:04:43 am »
If you're making this deck standard then my question is this; are you going to make this deck primarily khans of Tarkir related or are you going to add some of the new Zendikar cards?

Cornchucker

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 12:52:34 pm »
I'll add what I can in standard format to make the deck faster and more consistent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 05:50:52 pm »
Go for the low drop spells that have mass effects. If you're going to be swinging with Zurgo then you'll want to ake sure that his hits connect every time. Maybe adding sure strike and other first strike related cards would be good. Also consider adding some burn spells to get rid of small threats and pump spells to keep him alive in and out of combat.

matothias

• THUG LIFE
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 07:23:16 pm »
Also keep in mind that Khans of Tarkir and Fate Reforged are rotating out of standard in early april.

Cornchucker

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 01:03:18 pm »
I do have glint in the sideboard if they have heavy targeting spells. and I have some burn spells already. The reason for the build isn't for long term. I know there is a rotation soon, but I have a local tournament I'm playing in and I'm trying to bring something unexpected to the table.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 05:26:03 pm »
     So a speedy khan version of a Izzet deck then. Have you tried adding spells that keep your opponent from attacking? Red or Blue cards that work like claustrophobia? (but the standard version of course).

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 07:02:56 pm »
Lol, G. Claustrophobia is standard (came back in Origins). I like the idea, though. Icy Blast is underrated, to me, because you can use it on as many creatures as you need.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 05:55:57 am »
     But there are plenty of other cards that have similar effects and even let you draw cards such as rush of Ice and crippling chill. This way you get hand advantage AND your attacks go through easier.

Cornchucker

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 01:34:15 pm »
I like the thought of icy blast, bc it wouldn't be hard to pump a creature over 4 power and that would give me, basically, 2 turns to swing without any blockers with casting only 1 spell. That could let enough dmg though to end the game. Rush of Ice would give me an extra creature on the board (though its awaken cost) if I got in a pinch. So, would it be better to run those cards mainboard and sub burn or put them in the side?

solarstellar

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 05:13:57 pm »
What you have is a UR Prowess deck without the best prowess creature, Abbot of Keral Keep.  The deck wants to be very aggressive, but the weaponsmith is not aggressive.  You have too many combinations of draws that represent fail conditions:

• You draw a Weaponsmith but no Hero's blade
  • You draw a Hero's blade, but no Zurgo
  • You dash a Zurgo at a cost of 1 mana, with no benefit, in a deck where every mana is important
  • You are forced to pay the equip cost on the blade, but you have no weaponsmith to cover it

And so on.  If you want to play the blade, load up on legendary's.  Weaponsmith is not on plan for a red-ish aggro deck.

Cornchucker

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 05:23:35 pm »
I'm not using prowess as a primary source of dmg; it's more of a backup if I can't draw into zurgo+hero's blade.

solarstellar

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 06:05:16 pm »
If prowess isn't the plan, then cards like Expedite aren't great when all your creatures are hasty.  Here's the deck in a nutshell

Start with a UR Prowess deck
Remove Abbot, making the deck less explosive and removing card advantage
Add Weaponsmith making the deck much slower
Add Hero's blade, making it inconsistent - the blade only works with 1 creature

It's strictly worse than a cookie-cutter UR prowess deck.  To do something interesting with Hero's Blade, you want more legendaries.