deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 5916 times)

ep1cn00b

• Strive 2 be strange Refuse 2 be normal!
  • Decks
Suggestions
« on: March 24, 2016, 10:26:50 pm »
If this is discussed elsewhere, I apologize.I was just curious as to the general consensus of this site. I am rather new to MtG and I am trying to figure out if I should go straight for a Modern Deck or build a Standard deck first. I don't have a TON of money to work with and I know good modern decks can be pricey. My question is, what would you guys recommend? Modern or Standard?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 12:34:08 am »
Standard starting off. Modern can be pricey and since you've said you don't have a ton of money to put into it....
This space for rent.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 01:40:28 am »
I'd almost go the other way Wolfe. Yes, Modern has a higher initial cost, but staying relevant in Standard gets expensive fast. At least with modern, you can build a deck and, assuming you build a decent one, stick with it for a while. Yes, you might make small changes once in a while as new cards come out, but a lot of modern staples are largely unchanged in a long time.

Heck, you can build an infect deck for <50$ that can beat 1000$ goyf decks pretty easily. Standard's rotation makes it expensive to stay up with. I usually buy a box on release (didn't for oath because I just bought a house; money was tighter), but even then I don't get one of everything (although I'm usually only a card or two off a playset for commons and have most of the uncommons.) That's what, 300$ a year? And not that far down the line, those cards fall off and you can't use them anymore in Standard.

Just my two cents. I like standard, but I'm quickly becoming more focused on Modern decks for longevity.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 02:02:23 am »
I can see where you're coming from on that ladof. Guess it also depends on what the most common format at your LGS is as well as far as potential trades as well as playability.
This space for rent.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 04:20:49 am »
Standard is the easiest and cheapest to go, also you don't always have to see the same ol, same ol day in and day out.
Plus standard, you aren't playing against mirror decks.
I personally have a $14.50 standard that competes just fine.

With that said, in either format one doesn't need to spend a lot have fun and compete.
Unless your goal is to really and honestly go pro, if not then just have fun.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 04:45:17 am by robort »
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Jace27

• Combo+Combo=More combos :)
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 01:27:41 pm »
I started in modern and I think you should do the same so that you don't have to keep making new decks. You can make competitive decks for under $50 easily. I today run a control deck that runs 3 creatures and with the exception of 1 of my creatures it is under $40. :)
For my opponents, a healthy diet of counterspells, artifacts, and crazy combos.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 05:25:22 pm »
When I started I built a standard legal deck so I could learn how to play. but because I wanted to explore new play styles and play in different sets that's when I went modern. It's expensive due to the upkeep but as long as you know what you want to do and get then you'll be perfectly fine as price goes. Build a Standard so you know how to play, then go modern so you can grow into your own play style.

ep1cn00b

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 08:00:57 pm »
Here's the dilemma. I am just getting started with the tournament scene and I don't really have a very good track record. This may be because of the way I built my deck. I actually have 2 decks that I have built from a collection of cards I have acquired over the past couple months. One is standard and one is modern. They are both listed on my deck list. I would love some feedback on those decks so I can get some opinions.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 05:57:11 am »
Ok I'll look at them tonight and give you my feedback on them.

ep1cn00b

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 03:13:10 pm »
Thanks Moto. I appreciate it. Keep in mind, these decks were both built on a budget so I know they are not great.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 08:18:21 am »
I took a look at your decks and they look pretty good starting off. You have a lot of variety but I think that focusing on one singular theme rather than a concept is what's really gonna bring your deck together. Here's an example;

Your abzan deck: It should focus more on the allies who's abilities trigger life gain and life loss, same as the spells. I would highly recommend adding cards such as drana's emissary, cliffhaven vampire, kalastria healer, zulaport cutthroat, zulaport chainmage, stone haven medic and such creatures that facilitate the life theme. Also spells such as retreat to emeria (because of the ally tokens), retreat to hagra (because of the life gain/loss), and tandem tactics would all be good.

Your Red/Green deck: Maybe you should focus more on the landfall playability that this deck is capable of. Putting lands in your hand fast and then dropping them fast with multiple swell of growth will let you mana ramp mid combat and give your creatures more strength. Also if you try to add more creatures such as grove rumbler, zendikar incarnate and other elemental creatures then the deck will flow togehter more seamlessly. Adding Omnath, locus of rage will tie the deck together beautifully. That's just my opinion, What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 09:25:35 pm by G.Moto »

EBWonder

• Doing the voodoo that I do so well
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 07:15:26 pm »
for the angel allies deck, I'd probably drop the green. It's splash at best and, unless you use ramp, it's not as effective.

I agree with G.Moto in regards to the elemental deck. I'd turn it into green red ramp, put a couple Temur battle Rage and an Omnath, locus of rage or two.

ep1cn00b

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 08:59:43 pm »
@EBWonder, That was the purpose of the green I played. It was mainly a splash. I just liked Tajuru Pathwarden because its cost is decent for its ability (Vigilance/Trample) Thats also why I added the Bone Saw and the Untamed Hunger for buffing and the menace effect. Like I said, I am still relatively new to the whole deck-building concept. In years past I always went with Pre-fabs mainly because I didn't play that often and it was easier.

@G.Moto I appreciate the feedback. Any kind of advice is greatly appreciated. I am not very well acquainted with what all cards are out there because as I said, I just got back into it right before Oath. I am still getting use to some of the new abilities and things that are out there now. I do really appreciate the feedback and I will most definitely take it into account when building/rebuilding current decks or decks in the future. Thanks again for your time and consideration.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 09:28:25 pm »
    IT's no problem pal. Also if you want to do more research as to what sets have been released and what cards are available there are many sources. The main magic the gathering website has a Card Archive that has every single set that ever came out. This is a good way to assess a set's overall value as far as mechanics and playability goes. Also if you go on the mtg wikia (can be easily found through google) you can find more information such as card lore, explanations as to how to work different in game mechanics and much more. The internet is vast much like the multiverse, and it's all at your disposal.

ep1cn00b

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 10:03:35 pm »
Thanks again. Just added a new deck if you want to take a look at it. I think I stuck with a main theme a little better this time. Who knows.