deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 5915 times)

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 12:04:25 am »
I saw the deck and it looks like it could be something lethal with the current build. Considering that the Khans block will be falling out of standard soon (if you care about that sort of thing), then it does look like a workable deck. I do have a few concerns though;

1) There isn't too much tapping of their creatures that I see. Maybe if you added more claustrophobia and creatures who also have that ability then the deck will be true to its theme.

2) Nearly half of the deck is pure mana. I'm sure that U/B decks do need quite a bit to get things kicked off right but you might want to cut back on some of the land and try to use that space for more creatures and or spells.

3) The vampire motif could work well in this deck and if you did decide to make this deck standard you could use some of the vampires from the new Shadows over Innistrad block and the Full Battle for Zendikar set. This way your deck would be more streamlined and you'd be able to create more synergistic plays with your deck.

4) The death touch is a good element to this deck but you may want to try incorporating creatures and spells that let your creatures deal damage first or deal their power to another creature. For example, if you equipped pathway arrows to any of your creatures that has death touch then you could literally snipe away at their larger creatures and not even worry about heavy blockers or tricks during combat.

So far what do you think about my suggestions? 

ep1cn00b

• Strive 2 be strange Refuse 2 be normal!
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 12:27:09 am »
*grabs pen and paper and takes notes* I was thinking about adding more claustrophobia and the there is a reason behind why I added  so much Land. When I first ran this deck originally, I had some Cancel thrown in there. I actually had alot of counter target non-creature spell cards which was great but still left playable monster that could throw a kink into the plans. Anyway, I always ended up not getting enough mana so I almost doubled it and removed some of my "counter target non-creature spell" that also had "If its controller doesnt pay X mana"

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 02:55:58 am »
    I understand your reasoning behind this. The downside though is that you removed your better spells to make room for more mana that you may get too soon. Let's look at it this way; Your deck is like your CAR (metaphorically speaking). The overall mechanics behind how your deck works are all the parts and of course the most important part is the ENGINE. The mana would be the FUEL. Your car needs to have enough parts so that it can run cohesively, efficiently and effectively against your opponent. Basically the deck needs to do what it was made to do. If you take out too many key parts it'll go from being a car to maybe a moped. Not as much strength, speed or versatility. Once you add too much fuel (the mana) you'll flood the system and the whole thing will fail on you.

My point is sometimes you're going to get mana screwed whether its' due to bad shuffles or wrong colors at the right time. But it should not be due to not enough mana, otherwise balancing out the deck is what you need to do more. Here's an idea, add all the cards that you originally took out of this deck and include them into your current build (yes the deck size is probably going to be enormous), then look at the overall mana distribution of your deck (which colors you tend to use the most of) and adjust your basic lands and mana in order to fit that ratio. Once this has happened look at the deck's cards and ask yourself, "which cards are going to contribute most to my theme"? Which ever ones do not put those cards into your side board. Once you've done that try to shrink your deck down so it's between 60-70 cards (it's a fairly safe margin with little difficulty to how one plays). After all this your deck will have the necessary mana, it'll have a more direct focus, and you'll have the cards that you NEED to play the deck and a good side board to go with it.

As far as deck trimming goes I recommend starting this way: Creatures first, then spells that are needed. Artifacts can either be main board or side board depending on how you're running the deck but always make sure that your mana lines up with the kind of deck you're playing. What thoughts do you have on your deck now?

ep1cn00b

• Strive 2 be strange Refuse 2 be normal!
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 04:43:03 pm »
Well after checking out the suggestions you made and my card supply, I noticed I didn't have any more Claustrophobia. However, i did find a few more creature with an effect that taps target creature. I don't have my deck close at hand now but once I get the chance, I will edit the deck on my profile and let ya know. Thanks again for the advice. Another reason why I added so much mana is because a friend of mine said that based on my Mana Curve, I needed to have between 24 and 28 combined Mana. So I did.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 04:52:13 pm »
   I see. Well to compensate for high mana curves you can also do things such as untapping lands (such as using ghostly flicker), Playing less other creatures and spells (to save up for your big bombs later), add cards that let you tutor, scry and/or draw so you can search through your deck faster. This way you get what you need and it won't be too much of a negative consequence to your deck build.