deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Boros Heroic (Modern)  (Read 8715 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Boros Heroic (Modern)
« on: March 29, 2016, 06:50:38 am »
Primarily looking for sideboard suggestions as I've never put one together the entire time I've ran this deck (going back to when in it's original form it was Standard Legal).

http://deckstats.net/decks/6217/42515-boros-weenie/en
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:22:26 am by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: Boros Heroic (Modern)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 01:57:33 pm »
    Hey man I'm looking at the deck and it actually looks pretty nice the way it's built. A few ideas you might want to try out would be adding phalanx leader (for those +1/+1 counters), and impact tremors (since you'll be popping out lots of tokens). The big thing about this deck is that as aggro as it may be you're going to want to build the sideboard and even the mainboard to handle multiple threats that you come across. IT would be a shame if you couldn't even play because a control player is negating all your attacks and summons. But of course that's why adding cards that give your creatures first strike (such as sure strike) and some burn spells that let you scry through your deck faster (such as bolt of keranos and magma jet) would all be worth having). Even if you don't main board them keep in mind the other two play styles that exist and it shouldn't steer you wrong.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 05:03:10 pm »
Thanks!

My initial sideboard out of cards I already have...

Path to Exile  (additional way to deal with infect which is a major thing in my meta in modern)
Rebuff the Wicked  (who doesn't like a little white counter magic?)
Gitaxian Probe   (cause I wanna be nosy)
Deflecting Palm   (combat trick against infect)
Elixir of Immortality  (long matches and especially against mill this seems like it'll come in handy)

I may look into some of the scry cards once I see how this does next weekend.

ETA- I had Phalanx Leader in the deck initially but the double white slowed the deck down at times.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 05:14:36 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 08:55:12 pm »
As far as the spel speed goes, as long as you have the appropriate mana ratio then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Also all you really need is one on the board and you can basically build up a small army with just him. It's like bolster before it was a thing. The rebuff the wicked, elixir of immortality and the deflecting palm I would definitely keep in the sideboard. If you add cards like titan's strength and war flare with the card  fall of the hammer then you'd get a nice creature buff and the ability to destroy creatures outside of combat (and trust me, that's not something most people would expect to see at INSTANT SPEED in a "Aggro Boros Theros" deck). Also you could add berserkers' onslaught to give your tiny army some real strength, it could be a token soldier landslide.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 04:15:25 am »
The double white slowing it down had to do with slowing down how many buffs you could cast a turn to maximize the triggers more so than mana ratio, though it is worth playtesting it in this incarnation of the deck to see how if that's still the case (thinking about it I believe it was when the deck was more instant heavy and when it was still a Standard deck).

You have got me curious as to the other things you mentioned.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 04:25:02 am »
   When I consider decks to build I look at them from a Lore perspective and a set Mechanic perspective. In the MTG multiverse what is this deck or guild suppose to do, and from the set mechanic perspective....well that one's kinda obvious. Really it's feeling out the set and asking yourself "what does the deck need", rather than just adding cards that you think would work for it. For example, if I'm running a Rakdos aggro and burn deck I'd definitely add splatter thug to the mix because first strike is dangerous, but something that he (the card) would benefit most would be to play madcap skills. He goes from being a (2/2) to (5/2), still retains his first strike ability, and now has two targets that he can decimate during combat. Play titan's strength on him at just the right time and he'll go from being (5/2) to ((8/3) in a heartbeat. That's card advantage and effectiveness right there. Similar to your Boros Theros deck, look at the colors you're playing, look at the set that you're playing, see how those colors were INTENDED to be played and build your deck how you need to. It takes practice for some of the older sets but the same principle applies to no matter what game you play.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 12:29:16 am »
I get that, and I do that to a degree but with formats beyond Standard you also have to look at mechanics or themes that play well together across the different sets and blocks.

ETA- Phalanx Leader is looking decent so far in playtesting. It's slowed down my casting pace once so far but out of six games that's not too bad.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 02:19:12 am by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 06:30:37 am »
   I told you man, and even if he slows down the casting speed he increases the survivability rate of ALL your creatures. Target him just 3-4 times and all your 1/1 soldier tokens just became (4/4) and (5/5) tokens. This removes them from the basic kill spell range, forces your opponent to try and dispatch them quickly (which would waste their resources), and you'd have an army for both offense and defense. Give all those creatures first or double strike and you're golden.

Konjiikhan

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 06:49:59 am »
i had a similar deck...used archetype of courage in it to. yes touch slow but my army lived.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 07:19:26 am by G.Moto »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 11:38:36 pm »
Yea, I've put Archetype of Courage in and pulled it out a few times. Slows it down, but many be a sideboard piece.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 06:58:25 am »
It's surprising that card "slowed" down your deck, I would have assumed that it would have added an edge to your combat phases. You could always add instances that give your creatures haste.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 07:21:32 am »
I thought when I first added it that it would play well since it gives a buff and would count towards the enchantment count for Ethereal Armor, but there's times it sits in your hand to be able to cast multiple other spells in a turn.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 07:25:40 am by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 07:40:54 am »
I gotcha, situation based it's not always the best part of the deck. But you should definitely side board it if you know it has play ability.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 02:04:46 pm »
That's how I'm leaning as well.

Playtesting wise, Phalanx Leader is working ok & Twinflame has been a bomb at times and Spirit Mantle has been ok as well. Going to test them out this weekend in FNM to see how it does.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 02:15:49 pm »
  So you're going to a modern tournament this Friday? That's pretty cool man, I wish you the best of luck.