deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Prerelease Questions  (Read 11396 times)

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: Prerelease Questions
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2016, 03:03:14 pm »
   @Frimmel, That creature you're talking about is called gibbering fiend, I just put that in my Grixis deck.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2016, 03:48:33 pm »
1st deck I had was blue/black, midrange with 2 sleep paralysis and 2 throttles. Along with Jace, just the wind, compelling deterrance, my 2 beasts of morkrut necropod, 2 crow of dark tidings and the delirium buddy of kindly stranger. Then the wonderful witch that flips.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2016, 03:52:52 pm »
It's funny but most of the cards I was initially looking for I didn't get a hold of until after I left the tournament. Guess I had to try new things before getting what I wanted.

ep1cn00b

• Strive 2 be strange Refuse 2 be normal!
  • Decks
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 03:45:45 pm »
I went to the event again a second time the next day. It started at 6:30 though. This time my pull was rough. I managed to get some decent control type casrds so I figured I would try and run a white/blue control deck. It didn't work to well for me. The deck build was solid, but the control decks just don't seem to work for me. After losing my first 2 rounds. (there were much fewer people this time) before my final match, I sideboarded an entirely new deck. I went Gruul aggro this time and I went 2-0 that round. It seems like the aggro style seems to fit me well. I have managed to put a pretty solid deck together both times I used this theme. I am going to explore and see if Aggro fits me the best.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:12:17 pm by ep1cn00b »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2016, 04:46:16 pm »
That is what my friend told me when I first started playing. Is pick a color then find a style that fits how you play. I love combat tricks, and mainly like midrange aggro creatures. So if you are noticing that aggro fits your playstyle, then use it as your strength while you work on your weaknesses.

Now my 2nd tourney I had and didn't use thing in ice or relentless dead. I went red/green, 4 flip cards, delirium, and equipment. LOL and 1 removal card, clip wings. I went 3-1 with it though. 2nd match was my favorite and goes into the favorite moment. I get matched against mr shady character who normally beats me in draft. Got my A game going for him this time, I win 1st game mainly with the use of Inexorable Blob, having delirium and had the enchantment on it Equestrian Skill. Swinging every turn.
He blamed his lose cause he had to mulligan to 5. Not that there was a possibility of being out played.

Game 2 was a grind, I know it's getting close to time and I'm not going for a draw. He has 13 life and I am at 3 life and my play.
Knowing I can I only block 1 of his 3 creatures with sulk I will be dead after my turn. So I swing with everything. He has 3 creatures to block with and one is a 7/7 and can make it an 8/8 by pumping it. I swing with the 4 creatures I have which was Ember-Eye Wolf,
that's equipped with Shard of Broken Glass, Haunted Cloak, and True-Faith Censer. I also have a Sanguinary Mage with a counter on him, Pack Guardian, and a flipped Ancient of the Equinox. 11 untapped land to possibly pump up Ember-Eye Wolf. While in my hand 
I hold a Gibbering Fiend. Now without doing any math I think "when the smoke clears I want to play my Gibbering Fiend ".
So I do pump the wolf for +8 and leave 3 mana untapped. Smoke clears and bingo! He is down to 2 life and now he thinks he is safe. 2nd Main phase I play Gibbering Fiend and say "GAME OVER!". He says " no it's only one", I say " look again I have delirium" while pointing at the card. Another player watching picks up the card and confirms I am right.
He goes off on this tyrant " I lost to robert! I lost to robert!". Now if I did the math, I would have pumped and swung for the win.
But doing that the other way was definately a much better feeling. Besides it made me 2-0 after that. Lost my next match to 1 of the best players in our store.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 05:43:11 pm »
This Thursday one of my local stores is having a SOI draft. Most likely the pro player frequents my store will be there. It would be an awesome feeling if I get a chance to play him. 

ep1cn00b

• Decks
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 06:05:32 pm »
It seems like every time I think I am doing good one time, I do terrible the next. There is this one guy, who is oddly enough named Robert, who is one of the guys everybody goes to to for deck structure advice. Every time I get matched up with him, he sweeps me 2-0. Good thing is he doesn't brag or say stuff like "That was a stupid move". He is like "good job. However, if you want to have a little more luck then you should try putting this in there and remove these 2 or 3. It will flow better that way." With him and G. Moto, i will be world touring in no time! Totally Just Kidding.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 06:13:47 pm »
  Well I appreciate the kudos but its not too far off, remember you can do whatever you set your sights on. Also I am planning on doing some tutoring services as far as TCG card games go so that might actually work out in my favor later this summer.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 06:53:07 pm »
It seems like every time I think I am doing good one time, I do terrible the next. There is this one guy, who is oddly enough named Robert, who is one of the guys everybody goes to to for deck structure advice. Every time I get matched up with him, he sweeps me 2-0. Good thing is he doesn't brag or say stuff like "That was a stupid move". He is like "good job. However, if you want to have a little more luck then you should try putting this in there and remove these 2 or 3. It will flow better that way." With him and G. Moto, i will be world touring in no time! Totally Just Kidding.

Oddly enough we have a player like this named Ryan. Very good player and if you show him a deck, he will give you very good constructive criticism. He isn't cocky, cynical, shady ect.. will explain to a new player in particular he is playing some tricks that player he has in thier deck and how to utilize it.

As for me, I help when I can. I don't say alot before or after matches besides the normal good game.
Beginning I normally say " You should beat me" or " I am running junk". I want others to win, especially the younger players. It's a good feeling to win. I enjoy just playing, winning to me is just a bonus. I also love learning,
and this game I am always learning. The 16th and 23rd of this month I will go learn some more. Both dates are PTQ's and will cost me 75 dollars for those lessons. Both will be sealed draft which I realize is one of my strenghts.
I don't do well in standard so I haven't tried modern cause of it. So why not stick with what I am good at.

My other strenght is I see combos not the big game changers but the small 2 card ones. Hence those who
draft and play me know I love combat tricks. Nothing say surprise! then a simple combo of brute strength or gideon's reproach. Or a recent simple one, they flipped their creature and gave it flying. I just played clip wings, bonus because  I don't have a flyer and easily chumped blocked his ground creature.

ep1cn00b

• Decks
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2016, 07:10:21 pm »
I know one thing for sure. Since I have joined this site and thanks LARGELY in part to my boy  G. Moto, lol. I have learned alot and in the short amount of time I have been a part of this site, My playing and building ability has increased IMMENSELY.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2016, 07:15:53 pm »
  Sounds like this website should be getting a lot more publicity. It's a good tool to teach new players how to construct decks and interact with various players around the world. Anyone can research but you learn so much when other people offer their experiences and wisdom. Makes playing the game that much more satisfying. 

ep1cn00b

• Decks
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2016, 07:31:42 pm »
I have told all of my buddies at work that I play Magic with about this site. Whether or not they choose to come and sign up is a different animal altogether lol

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2016, 07:56:15 pm »
Very true. Actually, that just gave me an idea. I'm going to create a new thread in a little bit....

ep1cn00b

• Decks
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2016, 08:10:35 pm »
Glad I was able to aid in this brainchild lol

Frimmel

• Decks
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2016, 01:12:42 am »
   @Frimmel, That creature you're talking about is called gibbering fiend, I just put that in my Grixis deck.

That's him.

Someone mentioned the Accursed Witch who was a bright spot amongst my pulls.