deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Orzhov Gain-to-Drain Combo (first constructed deck)  (Read 753 times)

Danonymous

• Decks
Orzhov Gain-to-Drain Combo (first constructed deck)
« on: February 20, 2014, 07:24:39 am »
This is my first constructed deck. Cost me about $24 since i had land and got descent deals on some cards. Just looking for feedback and suggestions. It may struggle with fliers, although doomblades help. Not sure about all its weeknesses or potential ones since I havent gotten any cards yet ;-p... thanks for any and all critisism!!
http://deckstats.net/decks/12575/68026-orzhov-gain-loss-standard-
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:57:50 pm by Danonymous »

Black Egg

• Decks
Re: Orzhov Gain/Loss Combo (first constructed deck)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 02:59:58 pm »
I think that you went too far all-in on your combo with Sanguine Bond, and that caused you to include some questionable cards. At present, I'd expect your deck to win out of nowhere occasionally, but to struggle otherwise.

Congregate, for instance, is pretty awful in the absence of Sanguine Bond or a guildmage activation. It's decent with them, but still might not do much depending on the board state.

Champion of Stray Souls has little synergy with the rest of the deck and is expensive both to play and to operate. Something cheaper to either enable your combo or keep you alive until it goes off would be better. Perhaps Tithe Drinker (extort goes nicely with your theme) or Blind Obedience?

I also think that Hopeful Eidolon is questionable for you. It doesn't help your black devotion, it doesn't help you get your combo online to any appreciable degree, and any lifelink creatures you make are unlikely to be very large to combo with Sanguine Bond unless you start stacking them with Bestow in conjunction with Herald of Torment.

I do like that you included some Corrupt. You aren't mono-black, but the card is still powerful and swingy as a top-end spell. Consider Liliana of the Dark Realms to help power out your swamps.

You might want to consider running a copy of Diabolic Tutor to find either your Sanguine Bond or (if you already have one) one of your big lifegain cards to close a game out.

Underworld Connections is excellent with Grey Merchant of Asphodel.

Orzhov Guildgates (or more expensive dual lands, but that can be burdensome) would be a good addition for you. I wouldn't want to reduce your swamp count, but replacing a few plains with the duals could help smooth things over for you.

Get a sideboard plan against aggro or look for ways to improve your maindeck against it. I think you'd have a lot of trouble against that archetype.

Danonymous

• Decks
Re: Orzhov Gain/Loss Combo (first constructed deck)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 04:56:57 pm »
Alright thank for the in depth analysis and card suggestions! Blind obediance is a nice card and I've lost against it before so I know how annoying it is on the other end. Tithe drinker is nice too. I added hopful edilon because it was a one drop that I can bestow onto a bigger creature late game but may rethink it. Champion of stray souls was a contingency plan against removal but I would like to get my average mana costs down. Maybe sideboard him. Whats so bad about congregate? Its hard to imagine I would drop it with fewer than 4 creatures total on the battlefield (opponents creatures do count, right?) and gaining 8 and dealing 8 seemed solid (sanguine or guildmage required of course). Could you eplain? Also im not picking up on the gary / underworld connections synergy. As for the planeswalker and dual lands, theyd be great, but I was on a budget sadly. What would you swap for tutor? I like it, it seems like a card that wont directly help me in some games, but could save me in others.