deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: EDH/COMMANDER - What are the "weakest" colors and why?  (Read 6639 times)

zretrareo27

• Decks
EDH/COMMANDER - What are the "weakest" colors and why?
« on: April 26, 2016, 03:19:09 am »
I feel like multicolored decks are at a disadvantage in EDH. I also see that many color combinations are overlooked.
Thoughts?
Also, what are the strongest in your experience?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: EDH/COMMANDER - What are the "weakest" colors and why?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 11:56:39 pm »
Why do you feel they're at disadvantage and what colors are overlooked?

If I had to say which combination was the weakest I'd say Mardu but simply because it's among the least possible commanders to pick from.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:13:32 am by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 12:24:04 am »
   I will admit that Mardu does not have as many legendary creatures as other color combos, but that in no way makes it a weaker deck. In fact, a lot of the strongest card combs revolve around W/B, B/R and even R/W. It's the smaller synergies that make the deck work. For example, can you imagine playing a Rakdos shred freak turn 2 and then have a zealous strike ready to spring by turn 3? Though it is just one simple combo the color scheme revolves around skill IN COMBAT. When it comes to dishing out damage and reducing enemy forces to zero this group has it going on.

As far as what color combos are weakest? That's a touchy subject to go into, simply to put it, everything is weak to something and vice versa. It would be wrong to say that selesnya is the weakest link when it's probably THE most capable of producing small and fast growing armies and having creature recursion, hexproof and even indestructible at its arsenal. Likewise a person can say that B/R or U/R  or even Grixis (B/U/R) are the best  merely because of the destruction and control it can implement on the opponent. However there are always drawbacks when playing with black and control can lose out to most well built mid ranged and aggro decks. I think that when you ask "What decks are the strongest" you should give a category so as to narrow down on what you mean.

To answer the question I think that Mardu would be the strongest as far as actual combat and deck stability goes. The White and Black balance each other out and the red gives the deck direction. This type of deck may be overlooked in large part due to, as WWolfe stated, having the least commanders to choose from. Oros the avenger is my only commander for that color scheme but I can easily build a mardu deck to last just by having him.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 12:33:39 am »
Overlooked is probably the word I should have used instead of weakest.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 12:41:40 am »
   In that regard I would highly agree with you. When there are not a lot of legendaries of a certain color people tend to forget about it all together. For example, there are only: 5 Abzan commanders, 4 Sultai commanders, and 4 Jeskai commanders? There are quite a lot of dual and single colored commanders but the tri color area is where I'm seeing the least bit of play. Since you're playing a 100 card deck I would imagine that people would want to trim away any need to mana fix as much as possible.

zretrareo27

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 03:46:58 am »
Why do you feel they're at disadvantage and what colors are overlooked?
Simply because of the lack of available multicolor mana - two colors isn't awful but three colors for sure. Plus, the majority of available mana comes into play tapped, thus setting it back a turn.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 03:48:22 pm »
To a point yea, but if they're built right you can still run a competitive three color deck. I have several and they keep pace with most two color decks fine.
This space for rent.

Jace27

• Combo+Combo=More combos :)
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 01:47:04 pm »
Whatever you do, don't run a mono black Phage the Untouchable deck. Otherwise, any other commander can work.
For my opponents, a healthy diet of counterspells, artifacts, and crazy combos.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 05:03:51 pm »
That would be a nice secret weapon to add to your deck's side board. So if your opponent summons phage the untouchable from your graveyard to THEIR side of the field do they lose the game or do you?

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 05:41:50 pm »
I have always wanted to try zurgo helmsmasher for mardu. Destroy stuff up and swing away.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 05:51:26 pm »
  @robort, the deck would do well if you can give all your creatures first strike during combat. If you stick with the actual Mardu clan then having orc sureshot (he's my favorite) with some token generators would be a good combo as well.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 06:02:23 pm »
Gmoto, ankle shanker would work to alongside zurgo helmsmasher or as the commander. But with zurgo I just want to have fun blowing all your stuff up and swinging away. For instance drop an end hostilities or blasphemous act or even all is dust. A consitant board wipe and swing.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 06:12:27 pm »
   That could be fun. If you add red devil tokens then you could blow stuff up AND deal damage. Cards such as dance with devils and devils' playground would be good if you can get the effects to copy multiple times. Blow up and burn out the opponent.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 06:21:15 pm »
   That could be fun. If you add red devil tokens then you could blow stuff up AND deal damage. Cards such as dance with devils and devils' playground would be good if you can get the effects to copy multiple times. Blow up and burn out the opponent.
:D That's where howl of the horde would come in handy. Even with an outpost siege the devils do more damage.
or reverberate as well. LOL I have a zurgo and we keep this up I may make an edh deck with him

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 06:44:48 pm »
  Hey as long as you've got the damage dealers and combat triks man anything is possible. Throw in some impact tremors, uncaged fury, heck even stensia masquerade would work well in this deck (even without the vampires). Gibbering fiend, fiery temper, merciless resolve, and nahiri's machinations would all be worth considering if you take that route.