deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Vampire or Werewolf deck?  (Read 7177 times)

skeri

• Do something that scares you.
  • Decks
Vampire or Werewolf deck?
« on: May 12, 2016, 06:16:11 pm »
http://deckstats.net/decks/63728/485189-we-re-wolves/en

http://deckstats.net/decks/63728/475179-skeri-s-vampires/en

So I'm building decks with cards I already own, but I would like to work on them over time to make them more competitive. I'm not sure which deck is off to a better start so please tell me which one you see the most potential in (if you see potential in neither tell me)! I would really appreciate some guidance on what cards and how many I should play keeping in mind that I don't intend on spending a whole lot of money all at once, I plan to purchase cards with my Magic budget  ;). Also side boarding suggestions or obvious holes in my deck strategies. Please and thanks!
Time is precious, waste it wisely.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: Vampire or Werewolf deck?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 06:46:36 pm »
   Both decks have potential but the Vampire deck (to me personally) is the closest towards being completed). If you add more low drop spells and vamps then you'll get more prowess triggers and have a larger board state. Also if you include call the bloodline then you'll have a discard outlet for your madness cards and you can sacrifice the tokens to your indulgent aristocrat to make ALL your creatures stronger. Or better yet, taking control of the opponents' creatures with cards such as malevolent whispers and then sacrificing those instead of your own vamps. If you want more details or advice let me know.

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 06:52:10 pm »
I do have two copies of Call the Bloodline in the mail. What cards should I sub out for them? Also I have some Act of Treason and Malevolent Whispers that I could add in. I see a lot of vampire decks playing Olivia, Mobilized for War but I'm not sure that I care for her perks which is why I purchased Drana, Liberator of Malakir. Do you have a preference between the two or any obvious advantages of one over the other?

mocrispy

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 10:38:13 pm »
I would recommend running both Olivia and Drana - it is an insane turn 4 combo and activates madness cards for additional damage or removal such as fiery temper or alms of the vein. Think about it, Olivia is out on turn 3 so you have a 3/3 flyer ready to go. Then on turn 4 you drop Drana, discard Fiery Temper or Alms of the Vein and cast for its madness cost. Drana gains haste and +1/+1, then you attack with her and Olivia. That is 3 + 3 + 3= 9 damage on turn 4 and you are left with 2 buffed up flying creatures at 4/4 and 4/5 respectively one of which has first strike. Its an insane combo, and one of the reasons why the vamps lend themselves best to an aggro deck I believe.

If you want to take a look, I made an aggro vamps deck list that takes full advantage of the madness mechanic and fast damage play style, with good removal:

http://deckstats.net/decks/62414/460968-br-aggro-madness-vampires/en

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 10:49:53 pm »
Oo! I never thought about running Drana and Olivia together, that is wonderful. I checked out your deck and I've noticed that Fiery Temper and Lightning Axe are hot cards (pun intended) for vampire decks coming out of the Shadows of Innistrad set. I do prefer to buff Sanguinary Mage and utilize her prowess skill and higher toughness compared to Asylum Visitor, but I'll be honest I haven't played Asylum Visitor in a tournament. After some play-testing at FNM this week I think I may save up for Olivia and try the combo you mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions!

mocrispy

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 11:28:44 pm »
The Asylum Visitor is just the primary card draw mechanism of my deck. I have noticed that a few other decks are running Tormenting Voice for this purpose which I thought about, however Asylum Visitor fit better for the aggro style of my deck. It also has madness as opposed to requiring a discard so it is great to use to trigger Lightning Axe, Heir of Falkenrath, Olivia, etc. I tend to just throw it on the board when I need a discard and let it sit there until it draws for me - or to do 3 damage as often as my opponent allows.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 07:13:12 am »
   So i'm guessing this means you're settled on the Vamp deck then?

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 04:19:48 pm »
   So i'm guessing this means you're settled on the Vamp deck then?

I'm leaning toward it pretty hard but I plan on play-testing both decks and settling on the one that is more fun. I think I like black/red aggro with dash of control play style more, but I haven't played much green so the werewolf deck would be something different. Do you have any insight?

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 06:45:15 pm »
    Yes, I'll be glad to assist. Back in the Return to Ravnica block there were two guilds I'll be focusing on; The Rakdos Cult (B/R) and The Gruul Clan (R/G). Both of which fall under your color choices as far as decks go. Both deck types are made to be aggressive but they do so in different methods.
     The Rakdos deck focuses on burn and destruction and being as "in your face" as possible. Defense is not an option for a Rakdos player and it can be lethal if played quicker than your opponent. It doesn't have too much of a focus on spells because most of the creatures have 1 or 2 abilities to sustain themselves. In this deck the creatures do the work rather than the spells you play to support them. Your vampire deck works in a similar fashion. Only difference is that the spell casting is what supports your deck. The vampires also have varying effects but it takes the spells such as call the bloodline and fiery temper serve as discard targets and outlets to get the deck up and running.

The Gruul deck is also aggressive and as well focuses on the creatures played in it. The main difference is that the spells are mostly for combat tricks and boosting the strength of your creatures as they go in and out of combat. Their bloodrush mechanic shaped the deck that way where the creatures almost functioned as spells themselves. Despite this werewolves are small creatures that get bigger when you or your opponent DO NOT play spells. There are two ways to play werewolves really; either play as little spells as possible to make them transform, or play more spells than you usually would. My reasoning behind this is as follows, people are going to expect for you to try and transform them by not playing spells which will slow you down and give your opponent the advantage. But if you play them as if they were any other human deck then eventually when they DO transform then you would not of had to fall behind as far as deck speed to make it happen. You still get the same strength and speed without sacrificing field/card advantage.

These are my ideas and what I've seen playing both (really all four types) of decks. What are your opinions so far, have they changed any or are they still the same?   

Tatsuno

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 09:22:18 pm »
I know this isn't what you're asking for but I've been using a W/B Vampire deck that's been really successful for me, could also give you some extra ideas for what you're trying to do.

http://deckstats.net/decks/62295/488199-b-w-vampires/en

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 09:47:12 pm »
With your advice I can see the potential and the mechanics in both play styles with more clarity. I think I will continue to play with both decks (I play at two shops and alternate every other Friday) and see how they do, however I think the vampire deck will be the one I like better. I'm hoping I can get it to play fast, hold board advantage by summoning lots of cheap creatures, and pack a punch by buffing with other spells before my opponents can offer much retaliation. I purchased two copies of Call the Bloodline and I need to grab Fiery Temper, but I think those suggestions will be great for playing to the discard properties.

My original thought on the werewolf deck was pretty close to what you just explained; that relying on the transformation properties of the cards would leave me vulnerable unless I was ready to play them as regular humans as well. So I'm glad that I wasn't completely off the mark with that. I purchased Wolf of Devil's Breach and Titanic Growth to add into that deck as well.

I have been playing for about two months now and I'm just starting to get the rules, etiquette, strategy, and mechanics really nailed down. I just lack the experience that will eventually come with playing. I'm really trying to build a deck myself rather than purchasing a net deck that has already been tried and tested by others, so I appreciate all the help and insight.

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 09:50:21 pm »
    if you include call the bloodline then you'll have a discard outlet for your madness cards and you can sacrifice the tokens to your indulgent aristocrat to make ALL your creatures stronger. Or better yet, taking control of the opponents' creatures with cards such as malevolent whispers and then sacrificing those instead of your own vamps.

I meant to ask about what you suggested here as far as rules go. If I take control of an opponent's card can I attack with it first and then sacrifice it on my end step to get more out of it?

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 10:07:00 pm »
    if you include call the bloodline then you'll have a discard outlet for your madness cards and you can sacrifice the tokens to your indulgent aristocrat to make ALL your creatures stronger. Or better yet, taking control of the opponents' creatures with cards such as malevolent whispers and then sacrificing those instead of your own vamps.

I meant to ask about what you suggested here as far as rules go. If I take control of an opponent's card can I attack with it first and then sacrifice it on my end step to get more out of it?

Of course you can. Card reads "Gain control until end of turn". Till the end of turn you control of the creature and can do what you want with it.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 11:06:23 pm »
Of course you can. Card reads "Gain control until end of turn". Till the end of turn you control of the creature and can do what you want with it.

Sweet! That's good to know thanks!

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 08:28:09 am »
    No problem, anything else that we all can assist you with?