deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: First time going Commando  (Read 1044 times)

skeri

• Do something that scares you.
  • Decks
First time going Commando
« on: June 15, 2016, 09:15:36 pm »
Alrighty guys, here is the first draft of the commander deck we've all been building together  ;) Thanks for all the card suggestions and helping me get started. This deck will take some time to construct so let me know what you see that needs work and I can budget for it!

http://deckstats.net/decks/63728/512344-mono-black-vampire-zombie
Time is precious, waste it wisely.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Re: First time going Commando
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 12:59:50 am »
Congrats , You did good with what you have. Just so you know, put kalitas in the sideboard that way this site knows it's a commander deck.

There are cards I personally don't like but the deck is yours and time for you to go play test it. Eventually making changes along the way.
Later I will make 1 card suggestion, explain why but again it looks good for starters
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Dogor_Vengador

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 02:58:47 am »
Personally I dont like Commander's Sphere. there are other mana rocks that would be useful in your case. thran dynamo or sol ring come to mind. also a reliquary tower is a great addition to most commander decks.

it is a nice deck for a first try nevertheless. soon you will find out what works and what doesnt and you can upgrade your deck based on that.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 11:11:30 am »
  I like this deck and what it's shaped up to be. My only suggestion is to switch out any cards whose effects exile OTHER cards from your graveyard. For example, null caller exiles creatures that you could be bringing back, but ghoulcaller's accomplice (though it removes itself), gives you a body in exchange. You can always add cards such as shamble back and vile rebirth to give you more control over the graveyards.  Just something you might want to consider, if you're going to play graveyard recursion you may want to keep YOUR graveyard as packed as possible.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 03:28:26 pm »
Gmoto, agreed you are spot on but we know she's on a budget. But with null caller it will feed kalitas for now until she gets a replacement. She also doesn't have to use its ability all the time.

Agree that Sol Ring is a staple to commander deck. Not really an expensive card.
Now the card I suggest and why. First it's Median: $4.46 on tcg so basically 5 bucks it cost.
The card is Endless Ranks of the Dead and you can go wide with zombies and go big with vampires.
Just need 2 zombies on the field and Endless Ranks of the Dead will get out of hand unchecked.
2 zombies becomes 3, then becomes 4, then becomes 6, then becomes 9, then becomes 13, and so forth.
Nothing wrong with an army to support big growing vampires.

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 04:04:11 pm »
Last night I picked up 20 commons and 10 uncommons at my local shop. They didn't have everything on my grocery list but I did get some cards that I think help the deck out. Disentomb, Blood Seeker, Bloodthrone Vampire, Cruel Revival, and Vesper Ghoul to name a few  of them. As far as I can tell $10.00 and I'm there with the other cards that have been suggested.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 06:28:27 pm »
   Those are some good choices. Good job with the pulls and the fines. The Vesper ghoul you may not need to add to this deck but it was a great card you found, good job on that. Also if you're playing Mono-Black and you're looking for mana sources you could try magus of the coffers, nirkana revenant, and similar card. Just some ideas for you, I hope they help.

Bartley

• Greetings!
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 06:37:31 pm »
Alrighty guys, here is the first draft of the commander deck we've all been building together  ;) Thanks for all the card suggestions and helping me get started. This deck will take some time to construct so let me know what you see that needs work and I can budget for it!

LOL ... am I the only one who calls wearing no underwear "going commando"?

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 06:43:22 pm »
  @Bartley, no you're not the only one.

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 08:46:42 pm »

LOL ... am I the only one who calls wearing no underwear "going commando"?

Hahaha @Bartley and @G. Moto that's why it's so funny.  ;D

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 06:09:46 am »
  Well when you play Mono-Black you can do what you want.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 01:01:14 am »
Well you are going to need some type of sweeper, anything from all is dust to In Garruk's Wake, Damnation ( ok to expensive),
How about Toxic Deluge? Something again with zombies Feeding Frenzy. I personally don't like dead weight, or Debilitating Injury because they don't do alot. I'd rather at least a tragic slip. Then with creatures in the graveyard, hit them with this..Grave Strength.
Now 2 more cheap sweepers, Crux of Fate and when your overwhelmed Deathbringer Regent. Then if you wish, Guul Draz Overseer, Smothering Abomination, Graveblade Marauder ( he has to be blocked to stop lifegain) Archfiend of Depravity( constant creature sweeper), .

Any of those can help if you wish

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 07:48:54 am »
   OR adding cards such as slum reaper and vampiric rites. The slum reaper will keep coming back because of your commander, you can keep sacrificing it for hand advantage and life gain and if you have maalfeld twins on the field you'll keep getting zombie tokens as well if its the creature to be sacrificed. The graveyard recursion will be real in this deck and will be great with the death triggers that you can play around.

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 02:46:44 pm »
Those are some great suggestions, and I have some of those cards already! I thought vampiric rites was already on there... It's really confusing to read through such a long card list when building that I may have skipped it. I have a question of my own... Can you play other legendary creatures in your deck your just the commander? I think I have some in my deck anyway but I was just wondering how that worked.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 02:53:25 pm »
Those are some great suggestions, and I have some of those cards already! I thought vampiric rites was already on there... It's really confusing to read through such a long card list when building that I may have skipped it. I have a question of my own... Can you play other legendary creatures in your deck your just the commander? I think I have some in my deck anyway but I was just wondering how that worked.

You sure can, play all legendary creatures if you want. Just pay attention to the legendary rule is all.

704.5k If a player controls two or more legendary permanents with the same name, that player chooses one of them, and the rest are put into their owners’ graveyards. This is called the “legend rule.”
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 03:01:36 pm by robort »