deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Abzan Horror  (Read 326 times)

NathanJ

• Decks
Abzan Horror
« on: September 04, 2016, 04:12:24 am »
I was looking to build this and use it post-rotation, but wanted to hear thoughts and opinions on it first. I'm not 100% sure about it so I'm open to making changes. That said though, I do play budget. So for as good as Ishkanah and Lily are...they probably won't be happening..

http://deckstats.net/decks/50083/560883-abzan-horror

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
Re: Abzan Horror
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:37:14 pm »
Hi! I'm a fan of anything in standard that isn't Bant Company, so let's see if there's anything we can do to make this more powerful (and in budget of course). First thing I notice is Chaplain's Blessing, which i can combo's nicely with Lone Rider. Another option that should be more versatile is Blessed Alliance. Still can gain enough life to Flip Pale Rides, but has added usefulness later in the game for spot removal or untapping creatures in combat.

Only other card that Jumps out is Alms in the Vein. I'm guessing that's also to combo with Lone Rider. I think more copies of Collective Brutality would be better here (not sure if that's outside budget or not) since it gives you more often and will still force a flip if Lone Rider attacks. Other option would be simple combat tricks like Grotesque Mutation, Tenacity, or Aim High to surprise pound through, gain life and flip Lone Rider (Aim high obviously only flips him if it's cast on him, but gives a bit of protection from fliers). 

Lastly, Linvala, the Preserver could be a nice sideboard card against burn decks and flyer heavy decks. Just something to think about.

I hope you found this helpful! Good luck and Happy Hunting :)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

NathanJ

• Decks
Re: Abzan Horror
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 09:03:06 pm »
Ha! Agreed on the Bant Company thing. If there is one reason to be happy with the pending rotation, I think, it's seeing that build go away. So sick of CoCo... I've only ever lost to the build once, but I'm still sick of seeing it.

Anyways, I like the thoughts here. Tenacity is one I was considering for the sideboard, as well as Grotesque Mutation. I was also debating picking up another Brutality or two as it is a versatile card. Admittedly I missed Alliance and Linvala. Whenever I begin playtesting I will have to try it with those two in it.