deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Eldritch Evolution Ruling  (Read 1437 times)

petert4727

• Decks
Eldritch Evolution Ruling
« on: September 21, 2016, 06:51:00 pm »
This involves a combo that i use in my deck, I'll tell how it works:

First, I get out any creature that costs 3 mana. Then I play Eldritch Evolution and sacrifice the 3 mana creature. I then go into my library and bring out Goblin Dark-Dwellers. Then since Eldritch Evolution hasn't been exiled yet, I use Goblin Dark-Dwellers's ability to cast Eldritch Evolution again for no mana. I sacrifice Goblin Dark-Dwellers to get out some 7 cost creature.

Basically the main question is, does Eldritch Evolution instantly go into exile, or before the spell is resolved, it goes into the graveyard so i can use Goblin Dark-Dweller's ability? If this works, it is a huge boost to my deck, thanks for looking.

Oh and sorry if it's a bit confusing. I have issues explaining my problems :/
And Gideon says, "GO SUPER MEGA FORCE!"
Chandra replies, "Dude, for the last time, we are not Power Rangers. We are the freaking Gatewatch. We can go LARPing as Power Rangers after we deal with Emrakul."
Gideon says, "Ugh, fine."

Frimmel

• Decks
Re: Eldritch Evolution Ruling
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 07:12:27 pm »
Eldrtich Evolution would be exiled before any enters the battlefield effect from the creature you tutored for even goes on the stack.

The exile is part of the resolution of the spell. It never goes to the graveyard.

petert4727

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 07:19:20 pm »
Really? From what I thought, the card is exiled after the effects took place since it's separated from the rest of the text, or something like that
Chandra replies, "Dude, for the last time, we are not Power Rangers. We are the freaking Gatewatch. We can go LARPing as Power Rangers after we deal with Emrakul."

Nickadimoose

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 07:22:37 pm »
Unfortunately it's exactly what Frimmel said. Exiling Eldritch Evolution is a part of the resolution to the spell itself. Before Goblin Dark-Dwellers even hit the field, you'd have had to exile Eldritch Evolution. Since that happens Eldritch Evolution never goes to the graveyard. Sorry. :(

petert4727

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 07:23:43 pm »
Ohh okay that makes more sense. that would mean my friend and a few others were wrong!

petert4727

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 07:24:13 pm »
Ill have to really change my deck around then. Could i get a good idea of what to replace them with?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:25:49 pm by petert4727 »

interfector

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 08:20:44 pm »
Ill have to really change my deck around then. Could i get a good idea of what to replace them with?

But if accidentally (counter I hate them)  Eldricth Evolution is in your graveyard you can cast it with the Goblin sacrificing the Goblin itself.

Question: is it true that Goblin doesn't hit the battlefield before the resolution of n of the spell or Goblin hit the field during the resolution but the ETB ability is put on stack after the resolution of the spell (so it doesn't change the result because it is exiled) ?

Sorry for bad English :(

petert4727

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 08:57:40 pm »
Yeah, Eldritch is an awesome, yet controversial card.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 03:09:23 am »
Eldrtich Evolution would be exiled before any enters the battlefield effect from the creature you tutored for even goes on the stack.

The exile is part of the resolution of the spell. It never goes to the graveyard.
You are right it doesn't go to the graveyard. But the wording involved in Eldrich Evolution
Put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. Since Goblin Dark-Dwellers has an ETB trigger effect it will go on the stack before Eldrich Evolution completely resolves. You may cast target instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard triggers then you Exile Eldritch Evolution.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

petert4727

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 01:13:32 pm »
So basically, I can use Goblin Dark Dwellers on cards in graveyard, but not on Eldritch Evolution, right?

Frimmel

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 03:13:15 pm »
Yes, if you want to claim you can interrupt EE with the enters the battlefield trigger of a card you've searched for with EE then Eldritch Evolution is still on the stack/still resolving and could not be effected by cards that work on cards in the graveyard or exile. So still not a legal target for Goblin Dark Dwellers' ETB trigger.

petert4727

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 04:04:06 pm »
Thx for clearing that up. Ill tell my friend that when i see him at the prerelease.