deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Moodern Mill goes for the Kill (Help Wanted) - Comments  (Read 484 times)

Comment Bot

Moodern Mill goes for the Kill (Help Wanted) - Comments
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:47:10 pm »
This is the comment topic for Moodern Mill goes for the Kill (Help Wanted).

Please use the Reply button to comment. If you do not have an account yet, please use the link on top to register.

Dies ist das Kommentarthema für Moodern Mill goes for the Kill (Help Wanted).

Bitte benutze den Knopf "Reply", um einen Kommentar zu schreiben. Wenn du noch kein Benutzerkonto hier hast, benutze bitte den Link "Register" (oben) um dich zu registrieren.

Evelio510

• Decks
Re: Moodern Mill goes for the Kill (Help Wanted) - Comments
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 07:47:16 pm »
I have a lot of experience so far with Mill decks and Phenax isn't a good Wincon. The walls can be easily removed and until turn 5-God, they will be doing nothing. Modern UB Mill is a expensive deck for such a little competitiveness, but if you're still interested in building it, I suggest you to maintain the core of Fetchlands, Hedron Crab, Mind Funeral and Glimpse, and add Jace's Phantasm as an alternative Wincon, as 2 of them with a mill spell can kill very fast if left unanswered, and adding 2-3 Ensnaring Bridge for slowing or shutting down completely the aggro strategies, who are your worst matchup, due to the biggest problem of mill decks is that damage is always faster than discarding.

Hope this helps you, from a mill lover to another.

PS: Manic Scribe is another cheap and useful creature in the deck.

Evelio510

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 07:52:28 pm »
PS2: Startled Awake is an horrible card too.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-ub-mill-26144#online

This one is a decklist featured in the recent GP of Los Angeles, who obtain a pretty decent place in the top.

thomas.putz

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 08:54:59 pm »
i will add
4 Polluted Delta instead Basic
2 Watery Grave instead Basic
2 Darkslick Shores instead Basic
2 Creeping tar pit instead Basic
4 thing in the ice instead 2 Wall of Frost and 2 Wall of Tanglecord

thomas.putz

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 08:57:00 pm »

kfshradio

• Discord: kfshradio#6677. Play me on Cockatrice
    • steam
  • Decks

S0LD13R777

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 06:51:36 am »
unsummon + srartled awake

Shmingmaster

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 11:04:42 pm »
In budget variants, for any Phaenax you can't afford, you could put in a Doorkeeper. It fits with the theme of walling and milling, it's just a lot slower and costs mana. That said, I think it might be a worthy inclusion even with the full amount of Phaenax, just as some extra early game payoff for the walls, since Doorkeeper comes down turn 2 and starts milling turn 3. You could also make an argument for Jace Beleren and or Vision Skeins to get your opponent to draw that fatal zeroth card on your own turn and denying them the untap step, but I'm not sure how good that is; I play mostly "jank combo" style decks, and this isn't exactly one of those.

AIRchrist

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 11:21:25 pm »
As a huge fan of mill decks, and a fool who refuses to quit trying to make this archetype work, I have to say that the linear approach seems to be the way to go. Think of what makes Burn work. If you can keep your average CMC around 2/2.5, it makes the process much easier. I've tried hybrid decks with Tarmogoyf and Jace's Phantasm, and quickly realized that hybrid mill decks just don't work. You either aggressively mill the fuck out of your opponent, or you lose. Mill is too slow if you're running 4 and 5 drops. I've built numerous mill decks and my current is the most resilient and competitive. https://deckstats.net/decks/37081/566794-miladelphia    But this is my most linear and has the fastest milling https://deckstats.net/decks/37081/564343-mill-burn/en

Whichever direction you head, good luck and keep milling the fuck out of everyone!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:40:23 am by AIRchrist »