deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Mitotic Manipulation?  (Read 2471 times)

The deaf warrior

• Decks
Mitotic Manipulation?
« on: October 15, 2016, 04:35:35 am »
So I'm considering making a mono blue list that includes Mitotic Manipulation as a four of. I'm the only person I know who thinks it's an absolutely amazing card. But I am dry on ideas. Naturally, I want to squeeze value out of it, but I know that isn't always the case. So I have a few questions.

1. What's cards are out there that can manipulate card names besides their own?

2. What are good targets for Mitotic Manipulation?

3. Why is this not used more?

An answer to the questions would be much appreciated. Even if you don't answer, thanks for looking. Any suggestions on cards would obviously be appreciated as well.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
Re: Mitotic Manipulation?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 06:55:02 pm »
Hi, Mitotic Manipulation is certainly an interesting card. I had to check the ruling on it since the card itself isn't super clear (in case anyone is wondering, you can only put a card onto the battlefield if it shares a name with a permanent already on the battlefield).

So let's look at the pros and con's of this thing from a competitive standpoint.

Pros:
1. Can cheat on mana (get that second Torrential Gearhulk for 3 instead of 6)
2. Digs for a combo piece that is needed in pairs (Myr retriever, mill pieces for Lantern Control)
3. Can use card name manipulation to cheat out threats (not sure if this is an actual application, Mind Bend and Spectral Shift were the closest examples I could fnd, but neither woul do what we need to break open Mitotic Manipulation)
4. Can be really good in control type decks (finding extra copies of Control Magic / Threads of Disloyalty / Vedalken Shackles).
5. Blue Ramp (this is one of the very rare blue cards that can ramp you on mana, even if you miss on everything else)
6. Sideboard tech (when playing a quasi-mirror match, the number of hits goes up)

Cons:
1. Sorcery Speed (being able to play this at instant speed to find a Snapcaster Mage would immediately make it playable)
2. Double Blue casting cost (1UU is a hard mana cost, especially since blue is so limited on permanents to begin with)
3. Doesn't fix mana (though it does ramp, it can't find a land you don't already have, so it doesn't really make a splash any easier)
4. Largely limited to your own permanents (your opponent is unlikely on any given game to have in play some of the same permanents as you)
5. Kind of slow (play this on T3 and at best you're hitting a 2 drop)
6. Can't hit a lot of the best targets (namely plainswalkers and Legendary Creatures)

While the upside is there, the Cons paint a pretty clear picture of why this doesn't see competitive play. Modern is the format where this could see play, but Modern is such a fast format that have a T3 spell that really can't do anything T3 is a big problem.

The deck where this card would shine would be in a deck heavy with controlling enchantments and artifacts. Maybe like a U/W prison deck with Ghostly Prison, Threads of Disloyalty, Vedalken Shackles, Proteus Staff, Batterskull, Celestial Colonnade, and mana rocks). I really like the idea of being almost exlusively blue just to make sure that Mitotic Manipulation can at least always hit a land. The main problem though, this deck doesn't really exist because of it's weakness to disruption and low speed.

This is a card I could REALLY get behind if it were instant speed. Mitotic Manipulation into Snapcaster Mage is a powerful enough interaction on it's own, and Mitotic Manipulation into Threads of Disloyalty could blow out combat. Unfortunately, at sorcery speed it feels too clunky. (as an afterthought, Leyline of Anticipation in the U/W deck above could get around this).

Finally, the biggest problem with Mitotic Manipulation seems to be consistency. The odds of actually hitting a card that's already in play seems pretty low most of the time, unless it's deep in the late game, where you'd rather just draw action instead of a means to find action.

In the end, something like Phantasmal Image is probably going to be better in nearly every situation. It only costs 2 mana, can copy anything creature on your side or your opponents. It solves a lot of the problems that Mitotic Manipulation has at an easier mana investment. 

Thanks for reading my novel of a comment, and I hope this answers your questions, and maybe inspires you to build that control deck, which is starting to seem pretty sweet! Good luck and Happy Hunting :)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

The deaf warrior

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 01:27:25 am »
First off, thanks for responding! I have begun construction of your proposed blue/white control deck, and it's looking like it'll be plenty of fun to pilot.

The fact that Mitotic Manipulation is a sorcery is something that I will admit I had not considered, largely due to the fact that my playgroup generally plays slower than most modern tournaments. Since my playgroup plays a bit slower, hopefully it'll get a bit more of a chance for traction, and end up being able to get going.

Sorry this response doesn't have very many words, especially compared to how much you've contributed, (which I am extremely grateful for) but I want to thank you again for being a good help.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 06:14:20 pm »
Happy to help! If you do end up making the prison deck, I'd be really interested in hearing how it plays for you. If you're not worried about staying modern legal, Propoganda is basically Ghostly Prison, and could open the dor to being mono-blue. Though other prison-esque cards like Blind Obedience, Authority of the Consuls, Leyline of Sanctity, and Isolation Zone could give enough reason to add white. Anyway, have fun :)

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 01:40:35 am »
Hey, somebody in another thread brought up the card Quicken. It fits the bill nicely for a Mitotic Manipulation control deck. The card draw also seems really nice, and it lets you make cool plays like holding up a Serum Visions on T2 alongside Quicken and a counterspell (Remand or Mana Leak). this way, you can threaten to counter your opponents T2 spell, and if they just pass, you can still get your Serum Visions off. Just something to think about.

Kabooki

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 08:39:28 pm »
That someone that brought up Quicken was me!

Quicken is great in control. Quicken + Wrath of God effect or Threaten effect or Mitotic Manipulation...

When it comes to other options for Mitotic Manipulation, I think of cards like Annex, Dream Leash and Confiscate. I played a deck in Standard at one point that ran these cards and focused on taking the opponents lands and permanents. More than likely, this type of deck would be casual (it was ok in Standard when Ravnica came out the first time).

I wish you luck on your journey to best utilize your card crush:D

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 10:04:40 pm »
How about some fun with legendaries?

Kokusho, the evening star
Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho
Keiga, the Tide Star
Homura, Human Ascendant
Child of Alara

Mitotic Manipulation lets you put out the creature.  Since it's a legendary, the legendary rule puts the creature onto the graveyard, triggering it's effects. 
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >