deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] Mono Blue Prison (Thing in the Ice)  (Read 829 times)

dunzr9997

• Decks
[Standard] Mono Blue Prison (Thing in the Ice)
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:20:17 pm »
Mono Blue Prison (Thing in the Ice)

Use Thing in the Ice, Engulf the Shore and Rise From the Tides alongside Torrential Gearhulk to close out games. Game delay with counterspell and creature bouncing until one of these conditions can be met. NEED HELP WITH SIDEBOARDING PLEASE!!!!!

ushiikun

• Decks
Re: [Standard] Mono Blue Prison (Thing in the Ice)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 12:37:41 am »
I'm not great at sideboards myself, and while I enjoy control decks, I'm not great at building them, but I'll try and help out.

Any problem with going a second color?  I'm not sure blue has all the answers you'd need.  You could add red, to the side board only, by changing your mana base to include 4 Aether Hub (the Glimmer of Genius will power it back up), and 4 Wandering Fumarole.  It stinks that it will give you 4 tap lands, but if you can cast a spell with awaken targetting one of the Fumaroles, when you pay it's activation cost it becomes a bigger beater because awaken makes it a 0/0 with counters, while the activation makes it a 1/4 or 4/1.  Red also gives you some burn to remove or go for the head, rather than just bounce in the sideboard. 

Staying Mono-U, you could add a couple of Filigree Familiar for the life gain\block\draw a card, and as good targets for Elder Deep Fiend.  That's going to give you a problem with flyers if you don't have a counter\bounce pretty quick, so perhaps Pilgrim's Eye may be a better target, and it will thin your deck for you card draw.  Though you could also use the artifact creature from KLD, Dukhara Peafowl, so you can throw it in the air when you need to.

Playing such a controlling deck, you are going to need some more card draw, which is why I looked at red with Tormenting Voice or Cathartic Reunion, though black has Painful Truths, Live Fast, and Succumb To Temptation.  You could also look at adding some more filtering with Geist of the Archives, Smuggler's Copter or the U looter from EMN (forget it's name).  I know that will reduce your chances at getting a counter\bounce spell, but with the deck as it currently stands, it looks like the fast RW decks may be able to be fast enough to push through your bounce\counters, and in the control mirror, you won't have enough draw\filter to ensure you can win the counter war.

As I said, I'm not great at sideboards\control, so I could be completely off base, just my thoughts looking at the deck.

Eggyism

• I'm constantly updating decks that I've made
  • Decks
Re: Mono Blue Prison (Thing in the Ice) - Comments
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 07:23:13 am »
Dispel against other control decks, Imprison in the Moon if your opponent sticks a planeswalker, Summary Dismissal against Emrakul, the Promised End.

Eggyism

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 07:23:53 am »

Eggyism

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 07:25:41 am »
Curious Homunculus to make casting spells easier!

dunzr9997

• Decks
Re: [Standard] Mono Blue Prison (Thing in the Ice)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 07:42:12 am »
Summary dismissal is in this list. Compelling Deterrence can bounce walkers and so can Unsubstantiate assuming i dont have a counterspell. Curious homunculus is too slow. Dispel is too specific and i dont want to end up holding a dead card.