deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Stable mana bases with out breaking a budget.  (Read 481 times)

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
Stable mana bases with out breaking a budget.
« on: October 25, 2016, 05:48:48 pm »
So for the past few weeks I have been building a sweet little jeskai token control build and it has gone through many revisions and edits although I have yet to actually make proxies and play. Here is the deck btw https://deckstats.net/decks/61302/591953-jeskai-token-control/en
Now the one thing I keep going back to is the mana base. So in a three color deck how many two color lands do I need to play to be able to get a reliable mana base on the field. Orignally I was gonna play flooded strand to fetch sacred foundry and prairie stream but that is kinda pricey especially if I go a step further and play steam vents in which case I would probably play a couple copies of arid mesa too, which is even more expensive. I am having trouble choosing between the scry lands, life lands, and man lands. What are your guys thoughts on this?
I can't even read

SKUFFLEZ

• Decks
Re: Stable mana bases with out breaking a budget.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 06:32:10 pm »
I'm no expert, but here's my suggestion(s).

First thing i did was count your mana symbols | 7U 5W 4R = dual lands should focus U > W > R
If you want to stay at 25 lands, but include fetch-lands, here is the land base i suggest:
4 Flooded Strand
1 Steam Vents
2 Prairie Stream
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Epiphany
4 Island
3 Mountain
3 Plains

EDIT: the land base above is not the most optimal, just tried to use what you already had in your list + 4x fetch and a couple shocklands to fetch

Personally i feel you could probably shave the lands down to 21-23 with the fetch lands, since you'll be trimming it by fetching.

I swapped out the "comes in tapped, gain 1 life" lands for their temple equivalent\basic land; scry > gain 1 life.
Usually you don't need a lot of duals\tri lands since you typically only need max 2 of a given color to cast the spell; just tap correctly.
I used to love Temples, but coming in tapped without a choice turn 2-3 when you really need it for a counter card drove me nuts!
I might even take out 2-4 of those temples for more duals if the budget can stretch, or even basics if you find the lands too slow.

As for Arid Mesa, i wouldn't bother; a Windswept Heath or Prairie Stream can fetch everything you'd want, at a cheaper price.
I'd suggest finding the 2 colors your build around most and get the fetch land that fits that.
You'll likely be able to use them in every deck; I use Windswept Heath as my fetch for RG, 5-color and RBW decks.

Hope this helps, or at least sets you down the right path.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:50:13 pm by SKUFFLEZ »

mattador_actual

• Decks
Re: Stable mana bases with out breaking a budget.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 06:52:38 pm »
Get fetches and shocks.  Don't waste money on temples or battles or whatever.  Khans fetches are super cheap (~$15 and will only go up), and you only need a few shocklands. 

In a Jeskai deck, a couple Spirebluff Canals may work as a budget option, since you'll likely want untapped U/R on turn one.