deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Advice to improve deck  (Read 591 times)

interzell

• Decks
Advice to improve deck
« on: November 02, 2016, 06:05:02 pm »
Hey, i'm quite new to magic and got my deckbuilder's toolkit today and tried to make a red/black deck, but i'm not totally sure about how many creatures i should have contra how many spells i should have. I feel like i got the mana count right at about 40% but i'm not sure if i should swap some out for either the other color or more creatures.

Any advice will be highly appreciated  :D

Here is the decklist:
https://deckstats.net/decks/74994/601133-first-deck-red-black

And here is my collection in case you are wondering if i have a certain card or not:
https://deckstats.net/collection/1700/

keif tasty

• The Tastiest Keif from the bud
  • Decks
Re: Advice to improve deck
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 07:42:09 pm »
There isn't a set ratio of creature to spells. It really depends on what your running. I had a UB control mill deck that ran only 4 Creature Cards (4x Raven guild Master). Then I have my "White Privilege" deck that's 48% (Even counting lands) creatures and only run 19 lands. So it all depends on your deck
Sprinkle me over the top

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 10:15:51 pm »
Generally when I build a deck, I try to build it around a central theme to have a variety of possible combos.  For instance, I have a RB Vampire Madness deck that focuses on, you guessed it, Vampires and instants with Madness.  The only non-vampire creature I have in the deck are my Wolf of Devil's Breach to trigger madness and clear blockers out of my way.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:43:57 pm by Firegriff »

Dboe

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 10:20:20 pm »
While kief tasty's advice is correct, this is still difficult for new players to grasp.  Try running a 1/3 everything deck first, then start seeing what you need to fix.  So in a 60 card deck, 20 creatures, 20 other spells, 20 lands.  Again, this isn't set in stone but it's at least a starting point.  Something to really look at is your mana curve and the amount of each card you play.  Consistency is big, and running Playsets of cards can help your deck run more consistently. 

You typically want more 1-2 mana spells, fewer 3-4 mana spells, and fewest 5+; the exception is running mana ramp decks to ramp to your larger cards.  If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask, hopefully my advice helps.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:19:03 pm by Dboe »

blueberry314

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 11:59:18 pm »
I'd love to help, but the deck is not public

interzell

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 06:16:04 pm »
I'd love to help, but the deck is not public
oops, thought i could just share the link even tho it wasnt public. It should be changed now  ;D