deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: About pillar of the paruns and isochron scepter  (Read 986 times)

dber

• Decks
About pillar of the paruns and isochron scepter
« on: November 04, 2016, 07:32:18 pm »
I've read that pillar of the paruns can pay costs only for playing multicolored spells, namely, it cannot pay for activated abilities unless they have the effect of casting a multicolored spell, like Leap of Flame's replicate. My question is the following, if I have an Isochron Scepter with a multicolored spell imprinted (for instance, Boros charm) would I be able to activate the casting of Boros charm through the Scepter ability paying with Pillar of the Paruns?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 07:34:31 pm by dber »

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
Re: About pillar of the paruns and isochron scepter
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 04:43:01 pm »
Short answer: no.

Long answer: pillar's restriction means that the mana can only be used to pay the casting cost of a multicolored spell (such as replicate). Paying for the Isochron scepter ability, although it will ultimately be used to cast a multicolored spell, is not paying the mana cost of a multicolored spell.

Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

dber

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 12:37:50 am »

Long answer: pillar's restriction means that the mana can only be used to pay the casting cost of a multicolored spell (such as replicate). Paying for the Isochron scepter ability, although it will ultimately be used to cast a multicolored spell, is not paying the mana cost of a multicolored spell.

But "replicate" is an activated ability, such as the copy from scepter. The main difference between both abilities is the source, which is an artifact (colorless) or an instant (multicolor), however, the source should not matter but the text of the effect. If you activate isochron's ability, it casts a copy of a multicolored spell (the imprinted card), if you activate replicate, it casts a copy of a multicolored spell. (Bare in mind that Isochron scepter text from mirrodin says "You may copy the imprinted instant card and play the copy without paying its mana cost.". And paruns text "Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to play a multicolored spell." It should be legal, because the source should not matter. For instance, devoid cards cannot be paid with pillar, not due to the source (multicolored mana) but to the spell (colorless).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 12:47:41 am by dber »

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 08:32:18 am »

But "replicate" is an activated ability, such as the copy from scepter. The main difference between both abilities is the source, which is an artifact (colorless) or an instant (multicolor), however, the source should not matter but the text of the effect. If you activate isochron's ability, it casts a copy of a multicolored spell (the imprinted card), if you activate replicate, it casts a copy of a multicolored spell. (Bare in mind that Isochron scepter text from mirrodin says "You may copy the imprinted instant card and play the copy without paying its mana cost.". And paruns text "Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to play a multicolored spell." It should be legal, because the source should not matter. For instance, devoid cards cannot be paid with pillar, not due to the source (multicolored mana) but to the spell (colorless).

To be technical, replicate is a triggered ability which triggers the ability to allow you to pay additional costs.
702.55a Replicate is a keyword that represents two abilities. The first is a static ability that functions while the spell with replicate is on the stack. The second is a triggered ability that functions while the spell with replicate is on the stack. “Replicate [cost]” means “As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may pay [cost] any number of times” and “When you cast this spell, if a replicate cost was paid for it, copy it for each time its replicate cost was paid. If the spell has any targets, you may choose new targets for any of the copies.” Paying a spell’s replicate cost follows the rules for paying additional costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2f–h.

You're not paying for the triggered ability. Rather, the triggered ability is triggering and allowing you to pay additional.

Isochron, on the other hand, is an activated ability. You pay 2 of anything to activate the ability of isochron, the activated ability then casts the spell.
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 07:08:05 pm »
Isochron Scepter with a multicolored spell imprinted (for instance, Boros charm) would I be able to activate the casting of Boros charm through the Scepter ability paying with Pillar of the Paruns?

While it's been noted that you can't. Isochron has an "activared ability" so it isn't a spell. The payment for the "activared ability" is 2 colorless and tap Isochron Scepter. The "activared ability" will not go on the stack until payment is recieved. Then the ability of casting Boros Charm for free goes off. Since it's an "activared ability" you won't be able to pay it with Pillar of the Paruns.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

dber

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 11:22:45 am »
Namely, that replicate works as an additional cost (like kicker) rather than an activation. My doubt was about that both triggered abilities and activated abilities were treated as abilities so these did not count as spells, but seems that magic does not treat abilities in the same way.