deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Dimir Mill Control - Comments  (Read 2372 times)

Comment Bot

Dimir Mill Control - Comments
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:01:59 pm »
This is the comment topic for Dimir Mill Control.

Please use the Reply button to comment. If you do not have an account yet, please use the link on top to register.

Dies ist das Kommentarthema für Dimir Mill Control.

Bitte benutze den Knopf "Reply", um einen Kommentar zu schreiben. Wenn du noch kein Benutzerkonto hier hast, benutze bitte den Link "Register" (oben) um dich zu registrieren.

Seabie

• Decks
Re: Dimir Mill Control - Comments
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 01:02:00 pm »
I think this deck would be better without the pure mill sorceries. I have a similar deck and I've found that often you can't afford to 'do nothing' on a turn. Well, of course, it's not really doing nothing, because some cards are affected by them, but in the end it feels like doing 'not enough'. Especially the Tome Scours seem weak.

I would advise to replace those with even more removal. Devour Flesh and Ultimate Price come to mind. It's a big plus that those cards are instants, because this deck really wants to handle things instant speed. Yes, those cards don't mill the opponent, but I've found that this deck wins most games with a huge Wight of Precinct Six or Consuming Aberration anyway. And if the opponent handles these threats you just prolong the game until they are milled.

arcueid

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 02:06:19 pm »
I already use Devour Flesh and Ultimate Price in my mono-black deck.  I placed 2 Warped Physique for this usage, and if a big creature is available to pump it.
I also thought about Shipwreck Singer, to kill x/1 creatures.

Milling is just an alternative win condition, that's right.
Tome Scours are fine, they feeds opponent cemetery for Death's Approach or Wight of Precinct Six. It also fill a 1 CMC slot.
With Duskmantle Guildmage, it's 5 damage for 4 mana.

I'm looking for a Lazav, Dimir Mastermind to replace Jace's Mindseeker.

Seabie

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 03:26:29 pm »
I don't think you need to fill the 1 CMC slot. In the best case the Tome Scour pumps the Wight and it makes Death's Approach better, but you'll lose a precious card in the process. This deck runs a lot of 1 for 1 kill spells and I don't think that gives you room for playing the pure mill spells. Yes, the Tome Scour combos nice with the Guildmage, but there won't be many games where that will win you games where other cards wouldn't have won you those games. Also, to mitigate the card disadvantage you create with the mill cards, you're forced to play sorcery speed card draw cards, but those make you very vulnerable. You really want to leave mana open when it's not your turn.

arcueid

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 04:24:03 pm »
Understood.
Now the difficulty is to fill this slot with card I own, and not use in other deck ^^

arcueid

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 09:36:28 am »
I replaced Tome Scour by Devour Flesh .
And added Pharika's cure in mono-black deck.

Seabie

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 09:41:42 am »
Sounds good. I know the difficulties of switching cards between decks when you deliberately have a limited card pool.

arcueid

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 11:51:53 am »
Another idea, more based on milling for this deck : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfBotZy4z_w

Seabie

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 02:24:34 pm »
The deck in the video is different indeed. It goes 100% with the mill battle plan and tries to mill them as fast as possible. They run quite some multiples of some uncommon and rare cards though. Even then it seems like a very risky deck to me. With the cardpool we're working with I think it's better to go with the more controlling route. I say this with a little hesitation though, because I don't have much experience with playing pure mill decks.

arcueid

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 02:26:11 pm »
I would like to set up a pure mill deck, since I have already 3 other control decks.
I'll give you my feelings after having tested it.

arcueid

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 03:13:32 pm »

Seabie

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 11:30:26 pm »
Would love to hear your test results.

arcueid

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 11:40:03 pm »
Pros :
- Balustrade Spy does a good job vs my mono-white weenie.
- Mortus Strider is a nice chump blocker for late games.
- Mind Grind is very good !
- First creatings are resistant enough to wait comboing with Duskmantle Guildmage (I couldn't do it with control version, more oriented on late game creatures).

Cons :
- Card drawing was missing me.
- But with only 2 Undercity Informer, deck is not much consistent, and combo cannot be applied.

I completely changed this deck to work around Sage's Row Denizen, Unblocable creatures and Ciphering.
But I'm close to admit that milling is very difficult for actual standard budget decks.
(Previous, with Innistrad block, it was possible - maybe there is no much cheap milling solutions in Theros block ?)

arcueid

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 10:59:49 am »
Changed Duskmantle Guildmage  for Necropolis Regent and Lazav, Dimir Mastermind as game finishers.
(as I don't have yet these 2 last cards IRL, I will use Diluvian Primordial and Sepulchral Primordial)

Seabie

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 01:25:04 pm »
Necropolis Regent is a powerhouse on itself, so he should work. Dimir Mastermind should be good in this deck as well, although he migth be even better in the 'kill all the creatures' version of the Dimir deck. But, he will be good here as well.

Could you update the deck as it is right now? It makes it easier to follow what you're working with right now.