deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Combustible Gearhulk Deck?  (Read 1012 times)

Oragren

• Decks
Combustible Gearhulk Deck?
« on: December 14, 2016, 02:51:23 am »
Hello,

am going through my process of designing a combustible gearhulk deck and though i would ask from so suggetions on this card and the best ways to build around it.

i am a Modern, Legacy or Vintage player if that helps

any help would be great.

regards
Oragren
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 05:59:02 am by Oragren »

Firegriff

• Decks
Re: Combustible Gearhulk Deck?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 02:28:20 am »
I kind of see him in a madness deck, where the casting costs are higher unless cast from discard.  That way, there is more to fear from the discard than the draw.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 09:07:19 pm »
There's a guy at my Local shop that plays a Mardu reanimator deck that features Combustible Gearhulk. He basically runs the Black and Red Gearhulks, Panharmonicon, Ever After, Refurbish, Rise From the Grave, and a bunch of discard effects (like Cathartic Reunion and tormenting Voice) to get gearhulks into the graveyard. He also has mana rocks like Cultivator's Caravan to accelerate into the big stuff. Finally there's removal like Blessed Alliance and so forth so he can survive long enough to pull it off.

Deck is super powerful, and near impossible to stop once it gets rolling, but is weak to counter magic and hyper-aggressive decks. The new Aether Revolt sweeper Yahenni's Expertise should help a lot, but blue will always be tough.

Hope you like the idea!
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 10:16:16 pm »
Fun fact: I was playing a guy with a deck similar to the one KouriNick posted about.  He got it onto the battlefield and I cast Deflecting Palm on it.  Hit him for 21 because he turned an Emrakul and another Combustible Gearhulk.  It was hilarious.  Deflecting Palm is my favorite spell.
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

Oragren

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 05:36:29 am »
Thank you Firegriff not a bad idea as you said cards with madness have a natural high cost. might tinker with that on the site and see how it looks stats wise.

thank you to KouriNick and Mostlynotgay i have built a mono red artifact deck for him and it seems to be playing well the only problem is my opponents let me draw and not discard so im getting good hand advantage but not able to burn with him.

any idea how i might be able to swing this that way i will post a deck list once i load it up. its a legacy deck.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:40:37 am by Oragren »

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 09:50:32 pm »
thank you to KouriNick and Mostlynotgay i have built a mono red artifact deck for him and it seems to be playing well the only problem is my opponents let me draw and not discard so im getting good hand advantage but not able to burn with him.

I don't think anybody will take the damage.  Or if they do, they'll do it game one and never do it again.  Depending on what you're running, you may be able to bait them to take the damage if you can get a Lotus Bloom online before casting it.  If you tap out after casting, they they know they've got at least one turn to live.  Whereas if they make you discard, they could potentially take lethal right there. 
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >