deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Spells without targets and protection  (Read 744 times)

dber

• Decks
Spells without targets and protection
« on: December 16, 2016, 11:41:39 pm »
I would like to know, if I have a card like mother of runes in play, and an opponent throws a wrath of god or zealous persecution or firespout, cards that have no target, if I tap my mother of runes if it would be destroyed. Thank you

Firegriff

• Decks
Re: Spells without targets and protection
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 04:08:50 am »
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/magic-rulings/magic-rulings-archives/275901-shroud-protection-vs-non-targeting-destroy

Protection from (color) would prevent damage from nontargeted spells, but board wipes like Wrath of God would still kill it.

RuthlessRut

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 04:12:01 am »
Definition of protection in mtg is can not be targeted, blocked  dealt damage or enchanted by whatever the protect is ie color or colorless or artifacts ect. Board wipes like day of judgment will destroy everything that is not indestructible.

RuthlessRut

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 04:14:51 am »
Based on what the card says to be destroyed, wrath of gods says destroy all creatures they can not be regenerated, so unless ur creatures have indestructible it wipes them off the board. Even if ur creature has protection from white and has shroud or hexproof does not matter. Which again definitions of shroud and hexproof are can not be the target of spells or just spells ur opponent's control

RuthlessRut

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 04:16:53 am »
Same goes for spells that say "each" instead of target like the overload cards and cards like polymorphist jest, protection, shroud, and hexproof will not stop those spells

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 05:24:10 am »
I like to remember the word "target". If a spell doesn't have the word "target" in it then it usually bypasses hexproof, shroud, protection.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 06:32:26 pm »
A good way to remember it is the acronym "DEBT"  Something with Protection cannot be:
Damaged by whatever it has protection from (color, spells, converted mana cost of 3 or less)
Enchanted by whatever it has protection from (color, etc)
Blocked by whatever it has protection from
Targeted by whatever it has protection from. 

A lot of people forget the enchanted part.  If a creature has protection from a color, then it can't receive enchants of that color.  This also means that if you give it protection from a color, all enchants on the creature of that color fall off.   

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:50:07 pm by Mostlynotgay »
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >