deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Frontier] Budget W/R Equipment Allies  (Read 653 times)

hotrodscott

• Decks
[Frontier] Budget W/R Equipment Allies
« on: December 23, 2016, 06:16:21 am »
Budget W/R Equipment Allies

Basically this deck with a few tweaks to use Kaladesh cards and Emeria instead of the expensive Gideons:  http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/suit-up-boros-equipment/    I've been playing it in Modern on MTGO and it's winning a bunch of games!  To make it more budget, you could trim the Abbeys or run taplands, but this runs pretty well. I'll fill in the sideboard once the meta starts to gel.   Suggestions are welcome! I'm not too familiar with EM or Kaladesh, so I might have missed some obvious winners. 

hotrodscott

• Decks
Re: Budget W/R Equipment Allies - Comments
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 07:08:08 am »

Revision 2

Added/removed cards:
+2 Sigarda's Aid

Changed amounts:
-1 Retreat to Emeria
-1 Strength of Arms

ladof

• Decks
Re: [Frontier] Budget W/R Equipment Allies
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 02:33:54 pm »
I think I'd rather use Allied Reinforcement over Oath of Gideon. It's one more mana, but the Oath is wasted outside summoning 1/1's. 2/2's are slightly harder to kill.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

ushiikun

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 03:01:25 pm »
I like Valor in Akros instead of the oath. With Captain's Claws and Retreat to Emeria, you'll have the regular creature drops to pump your team.

hotrodscott

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 05:26:30 pm »
Thanks guys! I'd left Oath in there in case I want to spend the money on some Gideons and get the loyalty counter boost, but either of those are better and I'll pull these for now. I had 4 Emerias since I  was basically using it as a budget 1:1 stand-in for the Gideons, but started reducing them because they take while to get on the board, and this thing seems to want to try and win by t4.  I've had several games where I'm at t4, and rather than drop Emeria and wait for a t5 land drop to trigger it, I'm using the stoneforge acolyte to dig for more equipment and using the mana to equip it instead. (Or if I already have a masterwork online, dropping a couple more allies to bump it up.)

So far, the tokens have mostly just been a boost for masterworks, or something to tap to dig for equipment with, but 2/2s instead of 1/1s is a big difference!

Valor in Akros looks awesome! It basically turns anything with captain's claws into a drana, liberator of malakir  :D

I'm not as happy with the toolcraft exemplar as I thought I would be.  His pumps are awesome, and it seems easy to give him first strike (which would be insane on an equipped up, low toughness guy) but him not being an ally doesn't help masterwork if you already have another guy all equipped up, and I've been pulling my allied encampment count down and adding plains to try and make him more reliable on T1.  Not sure if it's worth it yet, since it was rock solid reliable before adding him.

Thanks guys! I'll try some tweaks and let you know. It's a ton of fun as-is!