deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Best Game-Ending Creature (Modern)  (Read 1499 times)

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
Best Game-Ending Creature (Modern)
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:04:37 pm »
Hey guys! Just looking for opinions on what y'all feel the best creature/artifact in Modern is for ending the game either the turn it's dropped or the turn after it. I know Emrakul is likely top of the list, but  what else do people use? I'm in the process of making a deck centred around cheating game-enders into play with Indomitable Creativity ( https://deckstats.net/decks/13738/641257-ur-indomitable-creativity-?saved=1&lng=en ), and due to it's vulnerability to Path to Exile, I'm not sure if Blightsteel Colossus is the way to go as my second finisher. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
Re: Best Game-Ending Creature (Modern)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 08:07:06 pm »
Emrakul and Grisselbrand are the two everybody is going to post. So, BESIDES those, few of my favorites:

Iona, Shield of Emeria. Shes my favorite. Ive got a deck buult around getting her out turn 2-4. If you cheat her out, she's fairly hard to get around.

Jin-Gitaxias, core augur. Depending on how you're cheating in, he's devastating if you drop on your opponents turn. He's a ticking time bomb if you drop on yours.

Bearer of the heavens: go ahead, kill him XD. Also, I've cheated him out with Through the Breach and it was hilarious. End of opponents turn, everything goes.
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 02:19:07 am »
Thanks for the input! Yeah, I thought about Griselbrand, but he's not nearly as powerful when you have to wait a turn to start getting value out of it. Honestly, I think that Iona might be the way to go- like, I want to essentially be winning the game on the turn I drop the Indomitable Creativity, and against plenty of decks Iona gives me that out. Bearer is one of my favourite cards, but again, when I'm not going to be actively saccing it (with something like Through the Breach's effect), it just doesn't seem to fit the mold.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 04:17:50 am »
Have you considered Thraximundar?  6/6 Zombie Assassin with Haste... And forces your opponent to sac a creature on attacking.  To make him even more viscious, he gets +1/+1 counters whenever a creature is sacked... By anyone.  Costly, but immediately a threat.

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 08:07:19 am »
Thanks for the input! Yeah, I thought about Griselbrand, but he's not nearly as powerful when you have to wait a turn to start getting value out of it. Honestly, I think that Iona might be the way to go- like, I want to essentially be winning the game on the turn I drop the Indomitable Creativity, and against plenty of decks Iona gives me that out. Bearer is one of my favourite cards, but again, when I'm not going to be actively saccing it (with something like Through the Breach's effect), it just doesn't seem to fit the mold.

Grisselbrand's power is that you get value from him the turn you put him down. 

If you're going to cheat out Iona using Indomitable Creativity, then might I suggest also running Painter's servantPainter's servant + Iona, shield of emeria = opponents can't cast any card, regardless of their color. 

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 12:05:29 pm »
Thraximundar may definitely be worth considering, if only because of the haste. My only concern is that because I have limited power outside of my wincing, putting my opponent on a 3 turn clock doesn't seem like it'll be good enough. Still, I'll try it out!

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 12:19:24 pm »

Grisselbrand's power is that you get value from him the turn you put him down. 

If you're going to cheat out Iona using Indomitable Creativity, then might I suggest also running Painter's servantPainter's servant + Iona, shield of emeria = opponents can't cast any card, regardless of their color.

Griselbrand is at his best when he has haste, because let's you smack your opponent for 7, and essentially draw the cards for free in the process. Drawing at any other time is a big price to pay. And while usually, the sheer wall of card advantage is enough to ensure you win, I'm hoping not to have to resolve another spell after I've combo'd off. So while Griselbrand is an exceptional card, he's just MIT right for my purposes.

Painters Servant, on the other hand, seems very interesting as a way to completely lock down the game against decks like burn and ingect that can just kill me on the turn I'm vulnerable.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 01:38:34 pm »
Actually, I have one turned with Thrax a couple of times in a commander deck.  Built up a bunch of tokens to sac, then used them with Dictate of Erebos/Grave Pact/Butcher of Malakir on the field.  Got ugly real quick...

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 07:09:09 pm »
Oh, in Commander it's a different story entirely; Thrax is an exceptional Voltron, particularly when you have your engine going. It's just that the deck I'm using has no real way of abusing his ability, so he just ends up swinging for 7, which just isn't quite there.

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 07:48:28 pm »
Painters Servant, on the other hand, seems very interesting as a way to completely lock down the game against decks like burn and ingect that can just kill me on the turn I'm vulnerable.

He's an incredible card.  But you have to make sure you're getting him out with Iona or something else.  He's pretty much useless by himself.  Although I once combo'd him with Ugin, the Spirit Dragon's -X ability.  turns lands into colored permanents.  wiped the entire board EXCEPT for Ugin XD. 

Modern >

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 11:21:13 pm »
if you end up splashing green (for ramp and whatnot), then Craterhoof Behemoth might be the best option. Since it triggers on ETB, it all each other creature you pull from Indomitable Creativity will all get the buff, plus any creatures left over. And since Craterhoof has haste and trample, it can usually be enough to  end things then and there. Plus, if there's enough ramp in the deck (from mana dorks and mana rocks, you could jst end up hard-casting him.

Craterhoof Behemoth would be my favorite hit off  Indomitable Creativity, but if you're looking for others, these are all pretty sweet:
Platinum Angel: if they can't kill it, you win
Platinum Empirion: can usually stall long enough to just beat them to death with it
Massacre Wurm: Great against creature decks and can sometimes kill your opponent out of nowhere.
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite: Another sweet anti-creature card since it shrinks all your opponents creatures and makes your army big on the spot.

Something like Lightning Greaves could be sweet in this deck, since it gives whatever you find haste, and protect it from removal, and worst case, you can just sack it to Indomitable Creativity. Just something to think about, good luck!
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.