deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: new standard deck ideas  (Read 596 times)

Toddthefirst

• Decks
new standard deck ideas
« on: January 30, 2017, 08:18:45 pm »
Hey guys and gals, i'm starting back up in standard and i don't know where to start. any deck ideas?

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Re: new standard deck ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 08:37:41 pm »
Hey guys and gals, i'm starting back up in standard and i don't know where to start. any deck ideas?

Hello, this might be useful if you wanted to get back into standard. These are the current archetypes used in professional competitions, due to the recent Aether Revolt release and bannings.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=14512&d=287028&f=ST

You don't have to use the net deck/meta, you can adapt it based on the meta in your area.

Things you can take away from this is that G/R decks with {energy}, R/W decks with {vehicles}, G/B decks with {delirium}, Selesnya (G/W) decks with {tokens/counters} and Izzet (U/R) decks with the {copy cat combo} are the main deck types.

Toddthefirst

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 08:42:34 pm »
so, if i wanted a vehicle deck, what would be the best cards to put in it? should i stay in the new block or skip around from other sets?

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 09:20:06 pm »
so, if i wanted a vehicle deck, what would be the best cards to put in it? should i stay in the new block or skip around from other sets?

First, you should look at some examples on the site I mentioned, otherwise there are some decks on this site if you do a deck list search.
Generally, you want cards that have a lot of synergy and can deal damage fast.

If you want a well-rounded deck, you want to pool cards from the current standard sets. However, if you are just getting back in I would suggest staying in the Kaladesh/Aether Revolt block, as they will take longer to rotate out and you can focus on getting to know all the cards in that set.

To that end, vehicles are only found in this block. You will want to have an even distribution of creatures and vehicles. You don't want too many vehicles because you need creatures to {crew} them. You also need the right vehicles, ones that will improve your overall strategy.

Dwarf cards are the creatures you want to focus on; (Depala, Pilot Exemplar/ Toolcraft Exemplar/ Veteran Motorist/ Renegade Weaponsmith/ Sram, Senior Edificer)

Vehicles; (Fleetwheel Cruiser/ Aethersphere Harvester/ Heart of Kiran/ Daredevil Dragster/ Untethered Express)

Spells; (Siege Modification/ Harnessed Lightning/ Shock/ Authority of the Consuls/ Cathartic Reunion/ Decommission)

These are some examples

AzoriusTWP

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 12:05:49 am »
I have been playing Golgari Delirium for a while now and it is still a very strong contender in the meta, even after the Emrakul ban. A lot of people are playing GB counters right now (with or without a Delirum subtheme), but I think that classic Delirium is a better deck in general and I predict that it will become more popular again in a few weeks. The list I am currently running and testing for an upcoming GP is midrange, but quite close to control:

https://deckstats.net/decks/56540/659158-golgari-delirium-aether-revolt/en

One downside... Grim Flayers and Lilianas are somewhat expensive. I have played builds with Sylvan Advocates, but that generally feels like a downgrade.

(P.S. If you happen to play in a playgroup with a lot of control players, try something janky like a rampy beatdown Eldrazi deck! Dorks + Kiora, and eldrazi ranging from Reality Smashers to Ulamog. Make your opponents tableflip in despair when you assault their landbase with World Breakers :P.)

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 05:49:10 am »
I happen to enjoy my selesnya (W/G) energy deck.  Of course, that's largely due to being able to infinitely loop energy!  That, of course, means having a use for the energy.  There's also potential with B/W Improvisation with Hidden Stockpile and Servo generators.  Fen Hauler, Sly Requisitioner, and Herald of Anguish.

Toddthefirst

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 03:34:26 pm »
okay, so i heard that with Emrakul being banned the G/B Delerium deck took a hit, and same for vehicles with smuggler's copter. i really want to stay vehicles because of them being new and everything. my buddy plays Delerium and he says it's risky putting cards at random from your library and hand to the graveyard. I understand that it's how Delerium works, but it just seems like a gamble. I also did some research on vehicles and I found that it's mainly aggro, and that's what i like. i used to play hasty goblin build up decks and that was fun. so probably vehicles for this deck.