deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Are there enchantements that can counter an emblem's ability  (Read 2411 times)

Bobtheblade

• Decks
Are there enchantements that can counter an emblem's ability
« on: January 16, 2017, 03:56:22 am »
Are there enchantements that can counter an emblem's ability such as Vensers.
I play an enduring ideal EDH deck and need to find a way to keep triggered abilities from happening after I have locked everyone out with arcane laboratory and possibility storm.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Re: Are there enchantements that can counter an emblem's ability
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 03:58:41 pm »
There is nothing that removes emblems. Once emblems are in play, they can't be removed.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Bobtheblade

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 04:46:39 am »
What about preventing their effects, since I Can only play enchantments are there any that can do this.

Bobtheblade

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:30:59 am »
Could beadbridge chant be an option or does the epic effect prevent this as well?

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 03:10:17 pm »
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Emblem

Emblem

Jump to: navigation, search

Contents [hide]
1 Description
2 Rules
3 Trivia
4 References

An emblem is a marker with an ability on it, created by Planeswalker cards.

Description[edit | edit source]

An emblem is different from a card or a token. The ability and the controlling player are the only characteristics it has. Emblems have no color, name, card type, or anything else — just that ability. They are placed in the command zone, which is the same place where Archenemy schemes, Planechase planes, Vanguard cards, and EDH generals are placed. An emblem is not a permanent, and absolutely nothing can touch it or get rid of it as long as the player who gained it remains in the game, simply because no cards say that they can.

Restarting the game eliminates all emblems, and subgames are unaffected by emblems in the main game.

Emblems were created in the July 2010 rules update to fix rules revolving around Elspeth, Knight-Errant's ultimate, which left an effect hanging over the game without any visual indicator.[1] Elspeth could theoretically 'go off' and then be shuffled back in the deck or somehow end up totally out of play, but still have her indestructibility clause hanging over the battle for turns to come. This situation left open the possibility that players would just forget about it.

Emblems are cumulative, so it's possible to have the same emblem multiple times, but not all emblems have abilities which are cumulative themselves.

The emblem for Sorin, Lord of Innistrad from Dark Ascension was the first emblem to be actually printed.

Starting with Magic 2015, emblems have a type line, which includes the Planeswalker subtype.[2] That does not change the rule from 113.3 that emblems do not have any types, and the types on the emblem are only present as visual representation.

Rules[edit | edit source]

From the Comprehensive Rules (Commander 2016 (November 11, 2016))
113. Emblems 113.1. Some effects put emblems into the command zone. An emblem is a marker used to represent an object that has one or more abilities, but no other characteristics.
113.2. An effect that creates an emblem is written “[Player] gets an emblem with [ability].” This means that [player] puts an emblem with [ability] into the command zone. The emblem is both owned and controlled by that player.
113.3. An emblem has no characteristics other than the abilities defined by the effect that created it. In particular, an emblem has no name, no types, no mana cost, and no color.
113.4. Abilities of emblems function in the command zone.
113.5. An emblem is neither a card nor a permanent. Emblem isn’t a card type

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 12:18:40 am »
I wonder how disallow will work with emblems. Think about the emblem for Jace, Unraveler of Secrets.

"Whenever your opponent casts his or her first spell each turn, counter it."

I would say that sounds like a triggered ability, so could be countered with disallow. Disallow doesn't mention where the triggered ability comes from, just that you can counter it. The rules under it in gatherer specifically mention triggered abilities using the phrase 'when,' 'whenever,' or 'at.'

Maybe they finally put in a counter to at least some emblems, however temporary.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 03:55:27 am »
Let us break this down.
#1  An emblem is not a permanent, and absolutely nothing can touch it or get rid of it as long as the player who gained it remains in the game.
#2 Emblems have a static ablility for when a certain criteria is met so disallow would have no effect on an emblem because it is looking for an activated or triggered ability.

Bobtheblade

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 07:29:30 pm »
Venser's emblem is a triggered ability, inst it?
I am assuming that there is no permanent that can counter the trigger from happening? Can a permanent redirect it?

interfector

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 07:48:14 pm »
Venser's emblem proc a triggered ability.

So Spellskite is an answer. Or Mizzium Meddler.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:51:00 pm by interfector »

Fun@MTG

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 07:57:05 pm »
Venser's emblem proc a triggered ability.

So Spellskite is an answer. Or Mizzium Meddler.

Or Stifle, Trickbind and Disallow. In fact many emblems have triggered abilitys and you can counter them on the usual way. Put a Trickbind in a Isochron Scepter and you're save.
The other emblems with a permanent effect are, as far as i know, impossible to counter.

Bobtheblade

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 11:50:40 pm »
Nice! thank you.

wt

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 02:20:49 am »
Spellskite will not work and neither will any redirect effects.

interfector

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 12:25:40 pm »
Spellskite will not work and neither will any redirect effects.

Why not? It is a normal triggered ability on the stack, so a possible target for Spellskite or Mizzium Meddler.

The true question is : is Spellskite a possible target?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends on the ability triggered by the emblem.

wt

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 02:34:18 pm »
Well the question was, what card can straight up counter an emblem's ability. If the ability is something that repeatedly targets, then sure that would work but you can't just redirect an actual emblem to spellskite that's nonsense.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 03:54:14 pm »
I'm sorry for my misinterpretation into thinking they are all static abilities. Venser, the Sojourner, I read up and the clarity was ther and yes some Emblem's are activated. Jace and Chandra also have activate abilities. But with clarity it was easier to understand such using Venser's Emblem.
1/1/2011: Whenever you cast a spell, the emblem’s ability triggers and goes on the stack on top of it. It will resolve before the spell does.
So dissallow would work here but would not with Jace if it's your 1st spell cast. So yes spellskite could redirect an emblem's ability.

Now while emblems can't be removed they can be manipulated.