deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] 3 Mana Red Burn Deck  (Read 315 times)

michaeldckmn

• Decks
[Modern] 3 Mana Red Burn Deck
« on: January 23, 2017, 08:27:09 pm »
3 Mana Red Burn Deck

Using the deck as a practice one for my other builds, basic strategy is to throw damage for cheap.

I like to update this deck, but I'm looking to bring it to a Modern Night, what you guys think.  I usually play Blue/Green, so this is new to me.

Queervidual

• Niels, Queervidual, Thraben Wanderer
  • Decks
Re: [Modern] 3 Mana Red Burn Deck
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 09:56:15 pm »
For a modern burn deck, you sure are running quite a few suboptimal cards. A lot of your burn spells can only hit creatures. It might keep the board clear, but you'll stall out before your opponent is dead.
I love synergies, themes and weird combos.
My mind wanders as much as I do.
My crazy ideas are gathered here: https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php?topic=42299.msg115692#msg115692

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
Re: [Modern] 3 Mana Red Burn Deck
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 01:38:15 am »
Burn will always exist in Modern for its ability to punish slow starts and sneak in free wins quickly. I can see how this deck would provide a good practice for other decks, since its able to apply a lot of quick pressure, but as Kaylesh says, there are a lot of modern cards that do what your cards are doing, only better, or for less mana. The easiest example is Lightning Bolt vs. Shock. Lighting bolt is clearly better, as it costs the same as shock but deals 50% more damage.  Other examples of "cheap" burn cards to consider are:
Rift Bolt
Lava Spike
Lightning Strike
Searing Blaze
Searing Blood
and quite a few more. The same goes for creatures. While Ember-Eye Wolf is fine, Monastery Swiftspear does a pretty good impression for a single mana, and generally prowess will be easier to trigger than paying for the wolves ability.

If you took the deck to a modern night as is, and your local shop isn't super competitive, you'll probably do fine. Odds are the deck isn't tuned enough to win the whole thing, but the only way to know is to try it out.

here's a decent article to look over as a good (and cheap) way to start.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-67-13-tix-modern-mono-red-burn

Good Luck, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask! :)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.