deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Need someone to create me a deck, I'm a beginer  (Read 2644 times)

Pokced

• Decks
Need someone to create me a deck, I'm a beginer
« on: February 16, 2017, 03:53:32 am »
So like the title says, I'm a beginner and I would like the help of people to get decks that are solid and that work in Modern. (I also accept standart because I have cards from aether revolt only)

You'll see my collection, I bought a Magic Booster Box (Aether Revolt) and there is a plenty of cards with a few lands (I can buy a few more lands) and I also bought Tezzeret Intro Deck to build a deck from it because I know I don't necessarily have a lot of cards in order to do a proper deck.

So here is my collection without Tezzeret Intro Deck, but if you want to know the cards in it to make me another deck based from it you can go on internet, there is the list.
https://deckstats.net/collection/2299/

Lyonsbane

• Decks
Re: Need someone to create me a deck, I'm a beginer
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 10:02:45 am »
So like the title says, I'm a beginner and I would like the help of people to get decks that are solid and that work in Modern. (I also accept standart because I have cards from aether revolt only)

You'll see my collection, I bought a Magic Booster Box (Aether Revolt) and there is a plenty of cards with a few lands (I can buy a few more lands) and I also bought Tezzeret Intro Deck to build a deck from it because I know I don't necessarily have a lot of cards in order to do a proper deck.

So here is my collection without Tezzeret Intro Deck, but if you want to know the cards in it to make me another deck based from it you can go on internet, there is the list.
https://deckstats.net/collection/2299/

Well, welcome to the Modern format :P
First off all things: you asked for a "solid" deck, and here comes the bad news: Modern is expensive and costly, expecially for a competitive deck.
Assuming that money aren't much of a problem (since you bought a booster box and those ain't growing on trees), you now have to consider some things:

1)With a box you won't do much.
You can barely make a standard format deck.
You need to start thinking about a winning style (control, combo, tempo, aggro), a winning condition (overwhelm the opponent by sheer number, combo some pieces together to autowin the game, counter that s@@t!, etc...), and then sorting out the cards.
You'll probably need to buy the single cards out but, trust me, it's much more cheaper than buying boosters and boxes and hoping to find what you need.
Even more since WotC started to lower the average power curve of the cards in the newer expansions.

2)Which kind of player are you?
Do you take a more "thinking" approach to the game?
Or you just like to play whatever you have in hand mindlessly?
This conditions a lot the decks you can play because of personal affinity.
I can't stand playing aggro decks for example, it just feels... unnatural to me.

3)Once you defined your approach to the game, decide the colors, assuming that you know the strong and weak points of every color.
Again, this is personal preference: I can't stand red, barely tolerate green and black, but love white and blue.

Then we can start thinking about a deck.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:08:10 am »
  Also a big thing as well, knowing what you would be interested in playing can be big too when it comes to how involved you plan on getting with the game. For example; I have a friend who likes secret agents and action movies, so the first deck I helped her build was a U/B (Blue=U, Black=B) deck that featured rouges, assassins and agents of various sorts. She knew what she liked as far as her personal views went so building a deck tailored to her was no problem. You need to do the same thing. Look at yourself, recall some things that you like personally and then tailor your decks around those things.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 01:50:57 pm »
I'll add that, since you're looking into modern, another item we should have at least a rough grasp on is budget. Modern can be fairly expensive for certain decks. Other decks can be somewhat cheap (I think I threw my UG infect deck together for about 30$.) With your fairly small collection, you'll probably be buying most of the deck outright, so it'll probably cost a decent amount.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Lyonsbane

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 03:21:50 pm »
It doesn't tell me what to do to get a dexk with what I have

I Just want a deck based on what I have (1 intro deck + my collection, link in the original post)

I'll put it clear and straight to you, then: you can't ever make a solid, competitive deck for a modern environment with that collection, nor now, nor in a million years.
BUT.
You can always aim for something "less" serious, like a for fun modern deck (since all the standard cards are automatically in modern).
Examining the collection, you got your powerspikes in Black (Fatal push, Aether Poisoner, Gifted Aetherborn, Glint-Sleeve Siphoner, Yahenni's Expertise, Yahenni, Undying Partisan), artifacts (Hope of Ghirapur, Heart of Kiran, Aethersphere Harvester, Treasure keeper), Blue (Mechanized production, Metallik Rebuke, Negate, Disallow, Baral's Expertise, Shielded Aether Thief), and green (Greenbelt Rampager, Greenwheel Liberator, Hidden Herbalists, Narnam Renegade, Rishkar's Expertise).
Honorable mention to Ajani Unyielding, Rogue Refiner and Winding Constrictor if you go multicolor.

So pick one or more color between these and try to think about the winning condition of your deck (green for a stomp, black and blue for control).

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 06:52:09 pm »
It doesn't tell me what to do to get a dexk with what I have
I Just want a deck based on what I have (1 intro deck + my collection, link in the original post)

I'll put it clear and straight to you, then: you can't ever make a solid, competitive deck for a modern environment with that collection, nor now, nor in a million years.
BUT.
You can always aim for something "less" serious, like a for fun modern deck (since all the standard cards are automatically in modern).

Let us not be too hasty guys, modern maybe out of his reach, competitively, but then he only asked us to make a deck from what cards he has available, so doesn't need it to be competitive. I assume it's just for fun. From what I can see it is possible to make a decent standard deck for FNM play.

How you use the deck is another matter entirely.

(Land)

Spire of Industry 1
Mountain 8
Island 8
+ 7 lands either (4 Islands/3 mountains)

(Main)

Walking Ballista 1
Pia's Revolution 1
Heart of Kiran 1
Metallic Mimic 2
Aethersphere Harvester 1
Disallow 1

Maverick Thopterist 3
Trophy Mage 3
Consulate Dreadnought 2
Siege Modification 2
Pacification Array 2
Untethered Express 2
Implement of Examination 4
Metallic Rebuke 4
Bastion Inventor 3
Shock 4

(Sideboard)

Freejam Regent 1
Mechanized Production 1
Servo Schematic 2
Hungry Flames 2
Negate 4
Sweatworks Brawler 3
Gremlin Infestation 2

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 11:54:38 pm »
Thanks Mnemosyne you got it right about my playing intention (just for fun with family members)

No worries, glad to be of assistance. I suggest looking at the sample deck I provided, look at how each card interacts with the others I've selected from your collection. (It is U/R Aggro/Control)

Lyonsbane

• Decks
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:27:45 am by Lyonsbane »

Lyonsbane

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 08:48:41 am »
No worries, glad to be of assistance. I suggest looking at the sample deck I provided, look at how each card interacts with the others I've selected from your collection. (It is U/R Aggro/Control)

Are you telling me that you have a good sample deck that wouldn't require a big investment because I just put 200$ in Magic cards etc.
And just to know, is the deck you proposed me good enough or it's pretty weak since there wasn't a lot of cards good enough to start a deck.
Shouldn't I just upgrade my intro deck (Tezzeret, blue/black) in order to have 1 pretty good deck?

Playing for fun with family members is much different from playing competitive, and modern is a competitive format by nature (since most tier0/tier1 deck can win as early as turn 2/3).
If you want a strong deck ("I can win/be a top3 in a local tournament" strong, not "I just won against my mom" strong), you have to pay, and 200$ in magic is just the tip of the iceberg for being competitive.
Some decks can skyrocket up to 800+ $, some can even go for the 1000$ threshold.

Anyway, you just said that you want a deck for casual play with your family, so I wouldn't care much about the format, there is even a "format" for this kind of play (ironically, it's called "Kitchen Table" format), where basically every card is included.
Either the starting Tezzeret deck with the modification I suggested or Mnemosyne's deck are good for a couple match in a family environment.

However, there are good decks out there that are cheap and effcient for modern, they just are not tier0/tier1.
Elves is an example of it: you can make a solid aggro deck under 50$ I believe, and all the cards are pretty common and easy to find.
Either
https://deckstats.net/decks/73893/612599-elves-60-competitive-aggro/it
https://deckstats.net/decks/54270/383460-those-pesky-elves/it
are cheap deck that can work.

Lyonsbane

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 11:13:54 am »
Thanks Lyonsbane, your deck is pretty good to begin with while I start a another deck, I'll be able to play 2-3 game to really get used to Magic

I would also suggest you to ask your shop to give you a welcome deck (ask specifically for it, since the shopkeeper usually tend to have deaf hears if he can't make money from it).
They are free decks given from WotC to the shops to introduce new players to Magic, and while not much powerful, they give you something to expand your collection.
One of those even include some elves.

http://wpn.wizards.com/en/products/magic-welcome-decks