deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Amonkhet Spoilers  (Read 11061 times)

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Re: Amonkhet Spoilers
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2017, 02:55:15 pm »
First is Gideon in the planeswalker deck.. unreal because if this is the dumbed down version of the Gideon you can get in packs. The Gideon in the pack should be more powerful than this one..

Gideon, Martial Paragon
4W
Planeswalker - Gideon
[+2]: Untap creatures you control. They get +1/+1 until end of turn.

[+0]: Until end of turn, Gideon, Martial Paragon becomes a 5/5 human Soldier with indestructible that's still a planeswalker. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to him this turn.

[-10]: Creatures you control get +2/+2 until end of turn. Tap all creatures your opponents control.

This Liliana just bites... Compared to Gideon in these planeswalker decks.. I just can't see using her at all.

Liliana, Death Wielder
5BB
Planeswalker - Liliana
[+2]: Put a -1/-1 counter on up to one target creature.

[-3]: Destroy target creature with a -1/-1 counter on it.

[-10]: Return all creature cards from your graveyard to the battlefield.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 02:57:35 pm by robort »
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2017, 04:50:26 pm »
That Gideon plus Inspired or Trample... That Liliana with Infect or Proliferate in Modern decks.  It depends on what support cards come with them.  Liliana would need decent creatures and creature destruction to counterbalance the Gideon deck... If Gideon had a sizeable army, ultimate would be game over.  Her secondary ability would be better than Gideon's secondary.  Would be interesting if they bring back The Chain Veil or a slightly altered version of it since Liliana seems intent on using it.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2017, 03:06:22 pm »
I don't have pictures but....

Hazoret the Fervent
3R
Legendary Creature - God
Indestructible, haste

Hazoret the Fervent can't attack or block unless you have one or fewer cards in hand.

2R, Discard a card: Hazoret deals 2 damage to each opponent.

Trial of Knowledge
3U
Enchantment
When Trial of Knowledge enters the battlefield, draw three cards, then discard a card.

When a Cartouche enters the battlefield under your control, return Trial of Knowledge to its owner's hand.

Nest of Scarabs
2B
Enchantment
Whenever you put one or more -1/-1 counters on a creature, create that many 1/1 black Insect creature tokens.

In Oketra's Name
1W
Instant
Zombies you control get +2/+1 until end of turn. Other creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2017, 03:17:15 pm »
Open Heart
1B
Sorcery
Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose a nonlegendary, nonland card from it. That player discards that card.

Ahn-Crop Crasher
2R
Creature - Minotaur Warrior
Haste

You may exert Ahn-Crop Crasher as it attacks. When you do, target creature can't block this turn. (An exerted creature won't untap during your next untap step.)

Cartouche of Solidarity
W
Enchantment - Aura Cartouche
Enchant creature you control

When Cartouche of Solidarity enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 white Warrior creature token with vigilance.

Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has first strike.

Anointer Priest
1W
Creature - Human Cleric
Whenever a creature token enters the battlefield under your control, you gain 1 life.

Embalm 3W (3W, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a white Zombie Human Cleric with no mana cost. Embalm only as a sorcery.)

1/3

Everyones fun favorite card....

Fling
1R
Instant
As an additional cost to cast Fling, sacrifice a creature.

Fling deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power to target creature or player.

Not saying you can't use your opponents creatures but this combo will be fun...
Electrostatic Pummeler plus Larger Than Life plus using say 3 energy plus attacking and then Fling. So attack with 10 with trample and then deal 10 damage to the face.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2017, 03:19:45 pm »
Another split card..

Destined // Lead
1B // 3G
Instant // Sorcery
Target creature gets +1/+0 and gains indestructible until end of turn.

Lead

Aftermath (Cast this spell only from your graveyard. Then exile it.)

All creatures able to block target creature this turn do so.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2017, 04:53:30 pm »
Can't say that I'm overly impressed with that god card, although with SOI still being in the set, a mono-red or RB madness vampire deck could make a big resurgence.

Nest of Scarabs looks pretty fun, though.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2017, 06:11:05 pm »

[#Edit]
This card is going to be expensive, It has the potential to rival Inquisition of Kozilek. (Explained below this post)
Due to the Legendary parameters, it is unlikely you'll run 4 copies of a legendary card in your deck, 3 at most.
I see this being abused in a black deck, the new Transgress the Mind.

These are the only new spoilers that have caught my attention.
Essence Scatter will be useful, unless you are using the Cat Snake, haha. I didn't know it was a reprint, seems like this set is using a lot of older cards.
Flameblade Adept might not have haste but I still think it is fun in a madness deck.
Scribe of the Mindful could be useful, it is within Shock range, and AEO spells, but if you could sacrifice it in response to get something tasty back!
Channeler's Initiate with something like Primal Druid/Heart of Kiran = Free land/Crew
Onward/Victory split card is interesting... It doubles the power of a creature, one could make something of this. (6 mana in total for double strike) - Electrostatic Pummeler/ Metalwork Colossus?
Cartouche of Solidarity is CHEAP (1) for +1/+1 first strike and adds to the board state 1/1 vigilance warrior (wish khans/Fate cards were still legal in Standard)
Oketra's Monument is something that is a gift to mono-white weenie w/ tokens + Westvale Abbey.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:35:25 pm by Mnemosyne »

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2017, 06:21:49 pm »

This card is going to be expensive, It's much better than Inquisition of Kozilek. Due to the Legendary parameters, it is unlikely you'll run 4 copies of a legendary card in your deck, 3 at most. I see this being abused in a black deck, the new Transgress the Mind.

Its definitively good, but in not even sure its better than Transgress the Mind since it doesn't exile. That was one of the major appeals to Transgress, since its one of the only ways to perminately get rid of something (scrapheap jumps to mind).

I do think open heart will see play, but even in standard its nowhere near as good as inquisition of Kozilek would be. Turn 1 discard is pretty much exlusively better than T2, esspecially since there are so many other good T2 plays. This competes fot T2 with Winding Contrictor, Grim Flayer, Heart of Kiraan, Sylvan Advocate, siphoner, and countless others. A turn 1 discard effect is what black really wants to keep aggro in check.

I do think it will see play, but if the major threats being run are the God Cards, ishkanah, Avacyn, and Heart of Kiraan, this may habe a hard time finding a home
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2017, 06:33:48 pm »

Its definitively good, but in not even sure its better than Transgress the Mind since it doesn't exile. That was one of the major appeals to Transgress, since its one of the only ways to perminately get rid of something (scrapheap jumps to mind).

I do think open heart will see play, but even in standard its nowhere near as good as inquisition of Kozilek would be. Turn 1 discard is pretty much exlusively better than T2, esspecially since there are so many other good T2 plays. This competes fot T2 with Winding Contrictor, Grim Flayer, Heart of Kiraan, Sylvan Advocate, siphoner, and countless others. A turn 1 discard effect is what black really wants to keep aggro in check.

I do think it will see play, but if the major threats being run are the God Cards, ishkanah, Avacyn, and Heart of Kiraan, this may habe a hard time finding a home

(I'm gonna like your reply KouriNick because I need to explain a bit more!)

We'll see. Just to get you thinking, exile is great, but it rarely will matter until your opponent can find a card to reoccur it from the graveyard. Atm, I only see Torrential Gearhulk and Nissa, Vital force being played competitively.
(That being said, I probably wouldn't playing this card against a delirum deck, things like Grapple with the Past and Liliana, the Last Hope would be annoying.)

Also, something to consider; Standard Sets (Zendikar - Innistrad) will all rotate out after Hour of Devastation is released! So Delirium won't be a factor!

Okay, let's think about it, you play it turn 2, like Transgress the Mind, however, unlike Transgress the Mind, you can get rid of Sylvan Advocate, Winding Constrictor or Grim Flayer. (The major threats in Standard, as you've mentioned).
Since Inquisition of Kozilek doesn't exist in Standard, only Modern. Standard format players only have access to Harsh Scrutiny. Open Heart will, remove Heart of Kiran. Harsh Scrutiny and Transgress the Mind won't!
You're correct, it won't remove Ishkanah, or Archangel Avacyn, but I've seen neither played in competitive standard recently. (I only consider Archangel Avacyn being a threat, simply because unless you know your opponent has her in their hand you can't judge when they'll flash her into play.) - like Gitaxian Probe, knowing is half the battle! (I wish Telepathy was in standard!)

True enough, I didn't really explain why I thought it was better than Inquisiton of Kozilek, turn 1 plays are good, though I still think Open Heart has the potential to be better than Inquisition of Kozilek mostly because you have more options, even if you can't play it turn 1. (The probability of getting Inquisition in your opening hand is 7/60 = 11.7%)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:52:57 pm by Mnemosyne »

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2017, 12:10:56 am »
On the Modern application of Open Heart vs Inquisition of Kozilek, I think turn 1 is way better then turn 2 when it comes to hand disruption.  While Open Heart is an upgrade (of sorts) for Distress it still sits at 2cmc and on t2 I would rather cast Inquisition of Kozilek and hold up Fatal Push/Spell Pierce/Spell Snare/Lightning Bolt/Path to Exile/ect or just cast Birds of Paradise/Noble Hierarch/Serum Visions/Ancient Stirrings/ect.

On Standard, it could have a place if some kind of Hellbent/discard fueled deck makes it way onto the scene.  With Archfiend of Ifnir, Hazornet the Fervent, Madness/Cycling cards it is only missing a few pieces.  Though the Legendary clause does cause it to miss out on a surprisingly high amount of problem cards already without the rest of Amonkhet spoiled.  Not to mention Aftermath and Embalm will be around for people to get value from graveyards.

Open Heart will, remove Heart of Kiran. Harsh Scrutiny and Transgress the Mind won't!

This is incorrect though.  Heart of Kiran is legendary.

blueberry314

• Decks
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2017, 12:21:23 am »
When will Anointer Priest's spelling be fixed in the system?

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2017, 12:32:17 am »
Here are the Spoilers I wanted to talk about:

I don't know what to think about Kefnet the Mindful.  On one hand he has a very hard to fulfill requirement, 7 cards is a lot to ask, on the other he is a flying, indestructible 5/5 for 3cmc... My first impression was wow... what a waste of a God card but since I've thought of a few places he is useful.  I can't imagine why it wasn't 5 or 6 cards.

Channeler Initiate and Exemplar of Strength are interesting cards.  They can be an undercosted creature by targeting something smaller for the -1/-1 counters or be useful and get stronger over time... I like the concept on these cards and hope they drop something else that plays nicely with -1/-1 counters.

Oketra's Monument is the best of the cycle imo followed closely by Rhonas's Monument.  More creatures for just casting other creatures... sounds like a plan :)

Nest of Scarabs might just be insane... It makes a 1/1 token for each -1/-1 counter you put on a creature... I can imagine this with Black Sun's Zenith now... bow to my unending wave of 1/1 tokens  ;D

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2017, 12:37:35 am »
 :-\ woops, forgot Heart of Kiran was legendary! Mark my words you'll see it in standard! You will all see! *cackles insanely*

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2017, 01:21:32 am »
:-\ woops, forgot Heart of Kiran was legendary! Mark my words you'll see it in standard! You will all see! *cackles insanely*

The more i think about it, the more i think youre probably right and it will be an okay card, and probably slide right in where Transgress left.

I do think the legendary clause is going to be a big deal though, and will cause it to see noticeably less play than it would otherwise. Though we've only seen 2 gods so far, the Theros gods were sone of the most played cards in the set, and if these are the same, not being able to take them will hurt the card alot
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2017, 02:08:36 am »
Oketra's Monument with Cartouche of Solidarity with Panharmonicon with Sram's Expertise with Zulaport Cutthroat with Westvale Abbey.. means a token deck is going to be vary viable.

Now this Kari Zev's Expertise with fling, I'll take that alex for 3 mana.