deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Amonkhet Spoilers  (Read 11084 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Amonkhet Spoilers
« on: February 26, 2017, 03:26:32 pm »
Sorry, I beat you to it Jabilac:P

Magic just released spoilers (albeit a few weeks now) full art lands! Two of the three planeswalkers have also been revealed!

Introducing Gideon, Martial Paragon and Liliana, Death's Manipulator

I am liking the design of the lands, from what we've seen so far. I am not sure I like the artwork of the planeswalkers, that being said, Gideon does look quite bad ass. I'm not surprised to see Gideon, but I am to see Liliana, so soon after Eldritch Moon. I just hope they don't give Gideon a (+1) 5/5 indestructible, again.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 03:30:35 pm by Mnemosyne »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Re: Amonkhet Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 04:00:38 pm »
Gideon looks like he means business and just wiped out a small army. Now he's coming for you.
Lilliana has the ok what's going on here look. I just want to see on how the Gatewatch deals with Bolis.
Then the 5 gods and each has a trial, is interesting as well. Not to mention that Bolis is going to have homefield advantage.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 04:32:12 pm »
I'm actually a little upset with the full art lands. I liked that that was a Zendikar thing: it fit the theme of the plane well and made it unique.

I'll be interested in how this story goes. Liliana doesn't like him, but he does owe Bolas and I'm not sure the rest of the Gatewatch knows about their connection.

Also, while I like the linearity of the story, I'm getting tired of the same planeswalkers reused over and over. We had a few new ones introduced, but it seems like they're doing a lot of one and dones to pad the old favorites (Narset, Tamiyo, Arlinn, Devin Baan, Sareeli). Let's have a focus on some of the newer planeswalkers adjusting to their new powers.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:17:14 pm »
*Shakes Fist* Mnemosyne!!!!!!!!   ;D

Seriously though, when I first saw the new Full Art lands I was a little upset that they all had Bolas Horn's in each one.  Then I started to think about it and I felt like it really drove home how much power he has throughout the plane.  Where ever these people look they can see his influence, they can't even appreciate the sky without seeing his image.  So while I think it was very thematic in Zendikar to have Full Art Lands, I also think they kind of needed them here to tell us how influential Bolas is without telling us :)

I am stoked about the new Gideon and not surprised at all since Ally of Zendikar wasn't suppose to be Standard in Kaladesh.  Ally of Zendikar is a beast but I am hoping, like you Mnemosyne, this new version will bring something new to the table. Liliana will probably face another one of her Demons on this plane, if thats true then it will represent a big change in her character, and will need a new card.  Maybe this one will make bigger waves in Modern.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 02:08:58 am »
Sucks that the full art lands aren't in every pack (like 1 out of 4 I think was what it said).

Speculation is high that those particular Lili & Gideon are for the Planeswalker decks though I don't believe that's been officially announced. Either way that tells us who two of the PW's are for this set.
This space for rent.

Epic_Gamer36

• Don't call something bad unless you can do better.
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 02:24:11 am »
I love the new full art lands art, but the only problem is that they only print them in 1 in 4 boosters, which is probably just a way of getting people to buy packs.
The new planeswalkers are also the ones in the planeswalker decks, so I'm not expecting them to be very good.
One bone broken for every twig snapped underfoot.
- Llanowar penalty for trespassing

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 02:47:37 am »
The planeswalkers are in the planeswalker decks but everytime those are the dumbed down version of the planeswalkers we get in packs
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 12:01:48 am »
Gideon looks like he means business and just wiped out a small army. Now he's coming for you.
Lilliana has the ok what's going on here look. I just want to see on how the Gatewatch deals with Bolis.
Then the 5 gods and each has a trial, is interesting as well. Not to mention that Bolis is going to have homefield advantage.

You're right Rob, he does look like he's decimated a small army with his hand tentacles, and he seems happy about it! Quite disconcerting if you ask me...

I'm actually a little upset with the full art lands. I liked that that was a Zendikar thing: it fit the theme of the plane well and made it unique.

I'll be interested in how this story goes. Liliana doesn't like him, but he does owe Bolas and I'm not sure the rest of the Gatewatch knows about their connection.

Also, while I like the linearity of the story, I'm getting tired of the same planeswalkers reused over and over. We had a few new ones introduced, but it seems like they're doing a lot of one and dones to pad the old favorites (Narset, Tamiyo, Arlinn, Devin Baan, Sareeli). Let's have a focus on some of the newer planeswalkers adjusting to their new powers.

I feel you there Ladof! Even if it does devalue Zendikar full-art lands, it does make them more accessible and for that, I'm glad, especially for newer players.
It's nice to have a bit of uniqueness, but you know Wizards, if smell an opportunity to make money they will exploit it, fully.

Additionally, I know what you mean about the planeswalkers, but they are like Wizard's mascots, like the iconic characters of the MTG universe, and Jace is the number one, poster boy. I'm guessing the reason why they don't introduce new planeswalkers is due to the writers having trouble incorporating them into the story/universe. Having so many planeswalkers requires multiple plot points open simultaneously.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:04:26 am by Mnemosyne »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 12:16:56 am »
*Shakes Fist* Mnemosyne!!!!!!!!   ;D

Seriously though, when I first saw the new Full Art lands I was a little upset that they all had Bolas Horn's in each one.  Then I started to think about it and I felt like it really drove home how much power he has throughout the plane.  Where ever these people look they can see his influence, they can't even appreciate the sky without seeing his image.  So while I think it was very thematic in Zendikar to have Full Art Lands, I also think they kind of needed them here to tell us how influential Bolas is without telling us :)

I am stoked about the new Gideon and not surprised at all since Ally of Zendikar wasn't suppose to be Standard in Kaladesh.  Ally of Zendikar is a beast but I am hoping, like you Mnemosyne, this new version will bring something new to the table. Liliana will probably face another one of her Demons on this plane, if thats true then it will represent a big change in her character, and will need a new card.  Maybe this one will make bigger waves in Modern.

Mwahaha!  ;D ;D ;D

Well, he apparently created the plane, before the mending. Exactly! I want something else from Gideon! Something that isn't so overwhelming in Standard, but playable in most formats!

That demon will definitely be there! How powerful it is, I have no idea, supposedly he is more powerful than Griselbrand the one she killed in Innistrad.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 04:58:11 am »
Mwahaha!  ;D ;D ;D

Well, he apparently created the plane, before the mending. Exactly! I want something else from Gideon! Something that isn't so overwhelming in Standard, but playable in most formats!

That demon will definitely be there! How powerful it is, I have no idea, supposedly he is more powerful than Griselbrand the one she killed in Innistrad.

What could they do with Gideon they haven't done?  + Small Number: Creature gains indestructible and vigilance, -X: destroy a creature with cmc=X, -Big Number: gain emblem with "When you take damage prevent all but 1 of that damage" sounds good to me :)

Maybe Liliana with have to rely on her favorite old artifact, *Cough*The Chain Veil*Couch* and we will see a Standard printing of.... Liliana of the Veil!!!  lol sometimes I kill myself  ;D

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 06:22:02 am »
       Perhaps they'll touch back on old plot points. Remember how in the story of Eldritch Moon where everyone's minds were unraveling a bit and their darkest fears were being revealed? Maybe Gideon's biggest fear is his enjoyment of danger, as if he RELISHES the chance to be destructive. The fear that he may enjoy letting go of his morality an giving into to more destructive tendencies. Think Chandra but in a White planeswalker form. Maybe he'll have an effect like "+x: Sacrifice X amount of creatures, Gideon gains +X/+X and indestructible until the end of your opponent's next turn". That'd be pretty sick and could actually give a better overlay for people who may have always wanted to play him in a cohesive W/B kind of deck.

As for Liliana it may be more defensive since she is on someone else's planet hunting a demon that may have actually teamed up with bolas. That could be a little problematic for her. But...if you look closely at the background of her picture, you can see zombies rising which may be an indicator as to what one of her abilities may entail as far as her card effect goes. Maybe something like "+2: target player loses two life and discards a card. If the discarded card was a creature summon one 2/2 zombie token to your side of the field". That would be sort of like Ob Nixilis but instead of out rightly hurting yourself it can be used in a control like manner. Just throwing some ideas out there.

The art styles for the lands are very nice, despite the horns. Each one really entails how well this set is going into the Egyptianess of the set and just the way they were designed, shaded and colored really gives it an authentic feel to the set. I'm eager to see what new creatures this set holds. I foresee Zombie hordes in the future (or maybe some new mechanic like "Minion" or "MASTERING"). Those Egyptians were big on their servants, even if they are undead.

Also @ Jabilac and @Mnemosyne, it's good to be back, feel free to PM whenever you wish.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 09:48:09 pm »
       Perhaps they'll touch back on old plot points. Remember how in the story of Eldritch Moon where everyone's minds were unraveling a bit and their darkest fears were being revealed? Maybe Gideon's biggest fear is his enjoyment of danger, as if he RELISHES the chance to be destructive. The fear that he may enjoy letting go of his morality an giving into to more destructive tendencies. Think Chandra but in a White planeswalker form. Maybe he'll have an effect like "+x: Sacrifice X amount of creatures, Gideon gains +X/+X and indestructible until the end of your opponent's next turn". That'd be pretty sick and could actually give a better overlay for people who may have always wanted to play him in a cohesive W/B kind of deck.

As for Liliana it may be more defensive since she is on someone else's planet hunting a demon that may have actually teamed up with bolas. That could be a little problematic for her. But...if you look closely at the background of her picture, you can see zombies rising which may be an indicator as to what one of her abilities may entail as far as her card effect goes. Maybe something like "+2: target player loses two life and discards a card. If the discarded card was a creature summon one 2/2 zombie token to your side of the field". That would be sort of like Ob Nixilis but instead of out rightly hurting yourself it can be used in a control like manner. Just throwing some ideas out there.

The art styles for the lands are very nice, despite the horns. Each one really entails how well this set is going into the Egyptianess of the set and just the way they were designed, shaded and colored really gives it an authentic feel to the set. I'm eager to see what new creatures this set holds. I foresee Zombie hordes in the future (or maybe some new mechanic like "Minion" or "MASTERING"). Those Egyptians were big on their servants, even if they are undead.

Also @ Jabilac and @Mnemosyne, it's good to be back, feel free to PM whenever you wish.

Nice to have you back G. Moto.. Its been weird not having our Friendly Neighborhood Vampire running around :)

I had to go back and re-read that section of The Promised End.  I didn't even think they might actually build off of that story, of that specific scene.  I really like that idea :) and it would be a curve ball for most fans.

Liliana has thrown caution to the wind in the past when in pursuit of one of her demons.  She even has relationship with Bolas, she worked for him at one time and he was the one that originally told her which demons could restore a portion of her lost power.  Bolas would know that Razaketh is be one of Liliana's demons and might even have sent her to Razaketh because of his own connection with him.  It will be an interesting piece to Liliana's story... We may even find out the true identity of The Raven Man.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 04:40:17 pm »

I'll be sure to PM you G.Moto just got to find some time, haha. Good to have you back in action, so to speak.

Liliana was planning to use the Gatewatch to defeat her demons, but she is indentured to Nicol Bolas. No doubt she thinks he can be killed like her demons in order to prevent being beholden to anyone. She underestimates him, but not as much as the rest of them, surprisingly including Jace.

I think Nicol Bolas will force Liliana to obey him, either by revealing their plans to him or by indirectly betraying the Gatewatch. Using the demon on his plane as leverage of sorts, shielding him from them, unless she co-operates.

Nicol Bolas could, as you mentioned, G.Moto, control Gideon by using his mental domination, to expose his fears and emotions to cause him to betray the Gatewatch. (He is a master at manipulation after all)

Nicol Bolas has played the Gatewatch like chess pieces, the entire time since Ravnica, even instigating the release of the Eldrazi on Zendikar by luring Chandra there.

Jabilac, I want to know who the Raven man is as well, it is written like we should know who it is. (He's from Dominaria) I've heard people say it could be Urza, but I highly doubt that. I think it could very well be Yawgmoth, since he was presumed dead, his corpse is now tainting Urborg, perhaps a portion of him has seeped into Liliana's consciousness, thus allowing him to live on through her. (He was known as Thran's healer, the original, heretical healer, giving Liliana the recipe for her brother's reanimation and triggering her planeswalker spark is more than feasible.)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 04:55:08 pm »

What could they do with Gideon they haven't done?  + Small Number: Creature gains indestructible and vigilance, -X: destroy a creature with cmc=X, -Big Number: gain emblem with "When you take damage prevent all but 1 of that damage" sounds good to me :)

Maybe Liliana with have to rely on her favorite old artifact, *Cough*The Chain Veil*Couch* and we will see a Standard printing of.... Liliana of the Veil!!!  lol sometimes I kill myself  ;D

You make Liliana sound like a dominatrix. MTG's version of 50 shades of Necrophilia. Using her chain veil and whip, on Jace, wearing his gimp outfit and hood.  :P :P :P

I hope that Gideon has something other than that, perhaps: +2; Until end of turn all creatures gain indestructible. -X; Gideon becomes an X/X Legendary Soldier Creature with Indestructible, where X = loyalty spent this way. +0; Look at the top 3 cards of your library, put a creature from amongst them with a converted mana cost 3 or less from them onto the battlefield the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 04:58:17 pm by Mnemosyne »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 05:06:14 pm »
Just some news I found out whilst browsing, these are the 5 trials of Amonkhet!