deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Amonkhet Spoilers  (Read 11006 times)

Jabilac

• Decks
Re: Amonkhet Spoilers
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 04:32:56 pm »
Yeah, this new mechanic is going to be interesting.  I am really hoping for Graveyard hate in this set but I was hoping for Energy hate cards from last set and was surprised when they didn't drop.  I think this opens up more design space for magic cards.  Instead of Flashback (just repeating the same spell) we can not only have different effects from our graveyard but also allows for different speed spells.  Imagine a Sorcery and then an Aftermath Instant.  I doubt we will see this design on anything other then Sorcery/Instants because of how muddled the card actually looks.  It does show that WotC is not afraid to change the status quo and at least attempt to do new things. 

Quote from: TheWakaEmu117
So seeing this first spoiler gives me hopes for some cool stuff in standard but it also makes me think that this sets power level might be really high. If we look at the past couple of years standard has been struggling with deck diversity. If you guys look at the banning of Emrakul, Reflector Mage and Copter, those actually lower the deck diversity and how standard is now dominated by Saheeli cat combo and mardu vehicles. Maybe this set will shake the format up and give us some powerful cards. I am think a 4 mana board wipe shows that they be printing some slightly more powerful cards and abilities.

I am not a Standard player and I really only play in Pre-Release events but I am always on the lookout for new Modern playable cards and I like when a few new cards shake up Modern.  I was excited about Aetherworks Marvel, Grim Flayer, Thing in the Ice (didn't make as many waves as I was hoping), Paradox Engine, and Smuggler's Copter because I thought they would shake up Modern.  Standard does need something to break the stalemate that is the top 2 decks.  I am still surprised they banned Reflector Mage but didn't ban Felidar Guardian.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 08:36:55 pm »

Our first real spoiler for Amonkhet!  This tell us quite a bit about how Amonkhet will function.  We are going to have a new Aftermath ability that will only work in graveyards.  I also like how they decided to put the actual spell facing the correct way for us so we don't give away information by either cocking our heads sideways or turning our cards sideways to read them... I'm looking at you Fuse cards :)

We are also looking at a 4cmc board wipe in standard... When was the last time that happened?  As far as I can remember they have been printing 5cmc board wipes.  Interesting.  Hopefully they will actually print a new way to mess with people's graveyards.  Break up Delirium and these new aftermath effects.

So does this give anyone some new ideas of things we might see?

Stealing my thunder Jabilac with your super fast spoilerizing  :P

The aftermath, activated ability looks like it ties in with Amonkhet's expansion 'Hour of Devastation' l have a feeling it won't be the sole wrath effect. (Maybe another reprint of Damnation, to coincide with Modern Masters?)

I think they didn't want all the Standard wrath effects to be ubiquitous, which is why they all differ slightly. Yahenni's Expertise, Incendiary Sabotage, Radiant Flames, Kozilek's Return, Languish, Fumigate and Planar Outburst. Yahenni's Expertise works well with Dusk because we have a contrast of effects that do what each other would not individually. It's an interesting way of trying to shift the theme to Orzhov B/W decks.

Aftermath looks like a split card with flashback, but you 'don't' have to cast the aftermath card, and you don't get to replay the initial ability. It is something that I like about it. This card is interesting, whilst not as powerful as Wrath of God because it doesn't destroy creatures with the power 2 or less. It hints to the focus on low power creatures in the set. The aftermath ability ties into this, allowing you to return all your lower cost creatures to your hand.

I have a lot of theories based on what people have said. There will be a sphinx. Alhammarret? Maybe? It is interesting to consider that Bolas could use the Gatewatch's past foes to create some psychological damage. Jace's old mentor, Liliana's Demon and Gideon and Erebos?

As to the trials, perhaps Nicol Bolas is looking to forge the perfect warrior, in an attempt to replace his former champion Umezawa that eventually destroyed his physical form before the mending. Rulers need their enforcers, just another piece on the chess board.

I agree with the people that have suggested about the recent Standard bannings restricting the format. @Robot has mentioned previously that Wizards don't research their cards, properly, before they are released. The cards are developed thematically, they are not tailored for competitive play.
Pro's are expert at exploiting the abilities of various cards in the format, they'll circumvent bans, to produce a format stifling deck, that lacks creativity, artificially raising card prices because they are built solely to win.

Pro players should work with the research and development team to stop this, but they probably won't, ever. This is because having a deck that is singularly more powerful that all others, makes it easier for them to win, and winning means money.

Either way, I know how you guys feel about Standard, Modern, etc.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:59:35 pm by Mnemosyne »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 02:31:45 pm »
Info hot off the press! Promo cards released!

Mechanics from sample releases include a return to cycling, and (exert) which I've gathered you can activate during your combat phase.
-1/-1 counters are making a comeback, this, however, is no indication that wither/infect is returning, as I have not seen this effect target players.

Glorybringer
(Dragon Creature Red)
(3RR)R
(4/4)
Flying, haste
You may exert Glorybringer as it attacks. When you do, it deals 4 damage to target non-dragon creature an opponent controls.

Archfiend of Ifnir
(Demon Creature Black)
(3BB)R
(5/4)
Flying
Cycling - (2)
Whenever you cycle or discard another card, put a -1/-1 counter on each creature your opponents control.

Note: I really think this card has insane potential! With Black/Red madness and delirium I can envisage it in a standard deck. (Not as great as Archangel Avacyn but it definitely is a cheaper alternative to Demon of Dark Schemes)

Oracle's Vault
(Colourless Artefact)
(4)R

2{t}- Exile the top card of your library. Until the end of turn, you may play that card. Put a brick counter on Oracle's Vault.
{t}- Exile the top card of your library. Until the end of turn, you may play that card (without paying its mana cost) activate this only if you have 3 or more brick counters on Oracle's Vault.

Note: This card is insane, albeit 4 mana and turn 7, it acts like Aetherworks Marvel, with the negative that you cannot choose the card you cast, and you won't be able to use its ability for three turns. However, the counters even remain, which means that every turn you can cast a card with it for free! (Contingency Plan/Glimmer of Genius - Ulamog) Not to mention it is not legendary, = multiple!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:39:05 pm by Mnemosyne »

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 04:47:46 pm »
Here's some pic of the cards.. Kinda dark but that's all I could find this morning. Edit: Now they look great :)

-1/-1 counters on the return!  Exciting for those Constrictor Players :)

Exert seems like an interesting mechanic.  Getting a free "activated ability" as something attacks can be very powerful especially if they continue to focus on dealing damage to creatures.  It does make me wonder how it will work though, Will these creatures still deal their normal damage or will that damage be prevented for the effect?

I'm with you Mnemosyne, Archfiend of Ifnir has some serious potential.  Shrink your opponents board while casting Madness cards seems like a win win to me :)

Edit : Amonkhet info from Wizards.  Contains information on Embalm and Exert.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 05:40:37 pm by Jabilac »

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 06:20:56 pm »
Thanks for posting the article link Jabilac. This is the part that most caught my eye
"WELCOME DECKS
Like previous Welcome Deck incarnations before them, the Amonkhet Welcome Decks come in five versions, one for each color. Each deck is 30 cards and focuses on simple gameplay (and all cards are Standard-legal for as long as Amonkhet is)."

They then proceed to list all cards in each of the 5 mono colored welcome decks, including some new Amonkhet cards!

The article is definitely worth a read (see Jabilac's post above), but here's the TL;DR overview:

1. Packs will come with "Punch cards" to help keep track of counters, and include +1/+1 , -1/-1 , Brick, Embalmed, and Exerted.

2. Promo's have been release (see above)

3. New Mechanics! (they don't give offical oracle text so i'll summarize the description)
3a. Embalm: a creature with embalm can activate this ability only from their graveyard and only as a sorcery. Exile the card with embalm and put a token into a play that's a copy of the embalmed creature, expect it's a white zombie instead of previous creature types and has no converted mana cost
3b. Exert: When a creature with exert attacks, you can choose whether or not to exert it. If a creature is exerted, it provides additional effects ( see Glorybringer), but does not untap during your next untap step (I like the flavor of this, it pushed itself and now needs to rest). 
3d. All creatures with Embalm will have their own token

4. Welcome decks for new players the week before release. As a way to get new players interested, there will be a welcome event the week before release, where new players will be given a 30 card mono-colored deck (and the magic playing friend who brought them will get a promo card) to learn to play the game. The entire lists are spoiled in the article, but some notable inclusions (WHICH WILL BE STANDARD LEGAL AS LONG AS AMONKHET IS): Fling, Gravedigger, Serra Angel, Nightmare, Sengir Vampire, Shivan Dragon, and Garruk's Horde.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 10:57:37 pm »
I wonder if dramatic reversal will make an appearance in a blue exert deck
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 11:08:01 pm »
I can actually see Oracle's Vault going faster than turn 7 in a green blue modern deck, especially if paired with Proliferate effects. Green could potentially have it hit the field turn 3 with little difficulty, and with blue untap effects... A Derevi, Empyrial Tactician could make it dance in a Commander format.

cld.mizzi

• Decks
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 09:50:04 am »
Archfiend of Ifnir + Fateful Showdown = LOL.

Basically a wrath with some dmg to opponent.

Knabber

• Decks
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 10:11:45 am »
Okay, first things first: The new split cards look terrible. I mean, we've had some split cards before, they were okay. What is this abomination of a 90 degree turn of a card?!

Furthermore: The new Embalm ability exiles the original creature from a graveyard and gives you a token with the same name/abilities/stats etc. but is a Zombie in addition to its other types. Embalm is going to be "mainly a white" activated ability.

White. Zombies. 

By the way, Trueheart Duelist will be blocking the shit out of your opponent.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2017, 12:57:03 am »
So there have been 5 Masterpiece cards spoiled. I can't say as I like the look. It's hard to read and the colors are kinda gross.

I don't know how to put up pictures, so here's a link.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/spoilers/181-amonkhet-invocations
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Nickadimoose

• Decks
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2017, 02:12:21 pm »
Ew. You can kind of see what they were trying to do, but it just came out so muddled.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2017, 02:37:37 pm »
Hmm, I would have préfèred if they kept masterpieces limited to the zendikar block. But, alas... These, like the artefact masterpieces,  aren't good for limited/sealed. Just one of these OP cards ruin the game. I played against someone who ultimately won with wurmcoil engine... It was just not fun. Another wizards money making venture. But rant over, haha. I can see the Egyptian them, I can't say I like the style, but the concept is nice.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2017, 03:08:12 pm »
Just have to wonder of course for starters :)

3b. Exert: When a creature with exert attacks, you can choose whether or not to exert it. If a creature is exerted, it provides additional effects ( see Glorybringer), but does not untap during your next untap step

Is when having extert and say that creature has vigilance. Which one superceeds the other? Does the creature tap or is it untap. I know vigilance doesn't make the creature tap but extort keeps the creature tapped. A creature with vigilance and extert will be extremely difficult to deal with especially since it isn't going to be tapped. It will be really powerful in limited/draft/pre-release if there is somehow vigilance involved with extert. LOL I think I answered my own question
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

TZx

• Quotes are pointless
  • Decks
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2017, 03:17:27 pm »
This set, and The Kaladesh Block, have officially made me quit standard. Vehicles, and Mummification are not MTG :(
Signatures are pointless

Knabber

• Decks
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2017, 03:50:14 pm »
Too bad, i just got into standard with Kaladesh... Well, at least exert sounds like an ability that could come back in later expansions, but embalm just feels not really like mtg and could be stupidly strong. We have to wait, i'll guess. Btw, the revolt ability wasn't great fun either.