deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: MM 2017 Spoilers  (Read 1647 times)

Jabilac

• Decks
MM 2017 Spoilers
« on: February 27, 2017, 08:46:39 pm »
Here we are, on the cups of another Modern Masters.  So far we have seen quite a bit of Lands, at Common we have:

At Uncommon we have:

At Rare we have:

That's a lot of lands!  Its really good for Modern to see a reprint of Enemy Fetchlands.  I have no clue why they would reprint the Guild Gates instead of the somewhat useful "Gain 1 Life lands" but WotC thinks about MM sets in a Limited enviroment so I'm sure we will see some cards that care about Guild Gates.  Now on to the real interesting stuff... Everything else :D

The last one is Restoration Angel.  Finally a Damnation reprint!!  That is exciting enough but we have more, New Goblin Guide art!!! Woohoo! Its way better then what we have been dealing with --> Goblin Guide.  That old art is just ugly. 

We also know that Griselbrand and Domri Rade will be in there because of this:

In the last picture, I think we are looking at some new Snapcaster Mage art.  It is just speculation currently but I can't imagine WotC would put just a random card on the box for MM.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
Re: MM 2017 Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:43:57 pm »
I'm quite excited for MM 2017, so far it actually looks really good, and the Zenidkar fetches alone are going to make the set worthwhile to buy.

So here's my theory on why we're getting Stoic Angel and Domri Rade (since they aren't exactly modern staples). Wizards has said repeatedly that the set is meant to be drafted (in addinion to getting more copies of staple cards into circulation). Well lets look at Stoic and Domri and see what sort of Limited environment they would thrive in.

Stoic angel is great in a deck that wants to be attacking with only a single creature each turn. One way to incentivize this is with the Exalted mechanic. At common we have Qasali Pridemage (currently over $2), and at rare we have Noble Hierarch (approaching $60) and Rafiq of the Many (more of a commander card but still nearly $8). Would also be a nice time for a Voice of Resurgence reprint as it blocks your opponents one attacking creature nicely.

Now Domri Rade seems like a card you'd want in a G/R creature heavy ramp deck. For this, we might expect cards like Utopia Sprawl (over $3 at common), Bonfire of the Damned ($8), Oracle of Mul Daya ($20), Thrun, the Last Troll ($10), Tooth and Nail ($17), and maybe even an Emrakul, the Aeons Torn ($50) reprint.

Finally, Grisselbrand is fine on his own, but I think here's here to signal that reanimator could be a real thing in this format. Cards like Goryo's Vengeance ($25), Through the Breach ($40), and Unburial rites (at a not very exciting $0.25) could all fit this archetype. It would also give a little more possibility to the whole Emrakul reprint.

Just something to think about, I look forward to seeing if I was even in the ballpark :)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:57:58 pm »
This set is going to be really interesting in a draft format. Mana fixing for days and already a lot of powerful cards. They're either blowing all the good spoils early or these are going to be overwhelmingly strong packs.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 04:36:15 pm »
Got some new ones for today :)

The last two card are Terminate and Harmonize.

Some more great cards!  Thragtusk, Goblin Assault, Venser, Shaper Savant.  Shaping up better and better but we really haven't seen any common's yet besides the Lands.

I am hoping for Noble Hierarch and Voice of Resurgence out of this set also.  Voice would fit into the draft archetypes that WotC outlined in this article.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 06:04:54 pm »
Another round of spoilers at lunch today :)

And it was Snapcaster Mage.  Pretty sweet art but not as nice as the Promo Version :) and he got the bump up to Mythic :(

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 10:17:23 pm »
Hopefully!!! It will make Snapcaster Mage much more economically accessible (lowering its overall value) to modern players... This as well as Restoration Angel and the Fetch Lands!

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 11:10:35 pm »
Another round of Spoilers

There is nothing "bad" in that bunch at all.  Inquisition of Kozilek back at Uncommon is awesome and Path to Exile staying there is great.  Stony Silence and Grafdigger's Cage are both big sideboard cards for Modern so hopefully that will drop them both in overall price.  So far I am only seeing value from these packs.  We haven't seen a lot of the Common cards but so far all the other rarities are looking stocked.

I hope so too Mnemosyne, I don't own any Snapcaster's and would love to add a couple to my collection :)

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 12:50:43 am »
Ya, set is shaping up really well so far! I'm feeling pretty good about the G/R ramp prediction, and seeing Bonfire of the Damned, Primal command, and Thragtusk together is sweet! I may have to get a box now just to draft with!

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 01:23:44 am »
Ya, set is shaping up really well so far! I'm feeling pretty good about the G/R ramp prediction, and seeing Bonfire of the Damned, Primal command, and Thragtusk together is sweet! I may have to get a box now just to draft with!

Invite me? pretty pwease?  :P

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 01:49:04 am »

Invite me? pretty pwease?  :P

Haha, if you find yourself anywhere near Portland, Oregon around release time, hit me up! :P

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 06:28:54 pm »
Im really excited for MM17 and the value is already crazy in my opinion. I think that all the fetch lands need to be constantly reprinted in ever modern masters to keep the format accessible to budget players I know that could damage the collectible aspect but if Wizards wants modern to thrive then fetches need to be printed more many people will disagree but as a player who is trying to get into competitive play its very hard with out breaking my budget. I love the way MM17 is shaping out
I can't even read

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 07:04:44 pm »
Wow things are shaping up great for MM 2017.  These packs are stuffed with value!!!!

Some of the best cards in Modern are spoiled here.  Phantasmal Image, Liliana of the Veil, Abrupt Decay, Craterhoof Behemoth, Death's Shadow (now), ect... Combine this with the last few days of spoilers and it looks like this might be the best MM printed yet!

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 12:43:52 am »
Liliana of the Veil. Dammit, now I'm probably spending a lot more on this set that I originally planned.

Also, it almost looks like they're printing all of storm in on set. Get a grapeshot in there and a couple of cheap red ramps and you could legit draft storm now.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Grim-Reaper

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 09:59:08 am »
Not being a modern specific Player, what I like most are reprints of expensive cards I lack, especially Goblin Guide.
But what sets the brain gears in motion are the rarity downshifts.

Burning-tree Emissary in pauper? Yesssss!

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 04:03:07 pm »
Another good day for Spoilers :)

This set is shaping up better and better the more we see.  If we look at some previous sets for Rarity Amounts we have:  15 Mythic and 53 Rare total.  So far we have seen 13 mythic and 31 Rare.  Only a few Mythic left to see and less then half the Rares. So far so good.  What else are we gonna see get a rarity downshift?  As Grim-Reaper pointed out Burning-Tree Emissary just got the bump down to Common... I wonder what else we will be seeing in Pauper? :)

Ladof, I think most people are considering spending money more money then they should on this set.. I know I am :)