deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Protect a pump at sorcery speed?  (Read 481 times)

Grim-Reaper

• Decks
Protect a pump at sorcery speed?
« on: March 01, 2017, 11:59:41 am »
From time to time I enjoy playing a kind of "timmy" mono G Overrun deck against my friends.
As sideboards aren't used that much in our casual kitchen-table playgroup very often my friends didn't respond much to a cast Overrun.

That's until I ran blind into a lethal Batwing Brume.

Now I'm thinking about options to protect any kind of Overrun, Overwhelming Stampede or Garruk Wildspeaker pump effect that's at sorcery speed.
Xantid Swarm and Hope of Ghirapur both don't seem to work.

Only card that would fit in for mono G that I found so far would be Pact of Negation to swing for lethal. But moneywise it's kind of expensive.

Do you have any other ideas to play around those fog effects? They would also harm the strategy if I go for Craterhoof Behemoth or Beastmaster Ascension.

EDIT:
Probably cheapest option that could work would be using Birds of Paradise and Eldrazi Tokens for an Arcane Denial or something close.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:13:15 pm by Grim-Reaper »

Jabilac

• Decks
Re: Protect a pump at sorcery speed?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:18:45 pm »
What format are we talking about?  I ask because it matters greatly about what cards/strategies we can recommend.

Edit: I see you are talking casual but does that mean we can use any card like Vintage? or do you guys restrict yourselves to Modern?

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:32:36 am »
Unfortunately, green doesn't have much in the way of disruption / Counter magic. Just doesn't fit in the color pie. So you're kind of forced into artifacts. The only thing that really comes to mind are prison cards like Defense Grid (doesn't really stop it altogether, but can make it a lot harder for them to get through), Trinisphere isn't as good and cost more cash, and a Chalice of the Void on 2 (super pricey but overwhelmingly powerful).

Ok, so while trying to come up with Artifacts I thought of some options in Green that sort of gets you there. Plow Under is just super good as you can put the two land they would use to cast their fog effect on top of their deck, and now instead of drawing any gas for the next two turns, they just redraw their lands. You'd have to have an insane amount of mana to do it all in the same turn, but Plow Under is a sweet card at any point of the game.

Finally, a creature sacrifice outlet like Greater Good or Evolutionary Leap could save you from dying to Batwing Brume (while it's on the stack, sacrifice enough creatures to avoid dying to the trigger). The nice thing here is both cards are kind of cheap (Leap more so than Greater Good), and work wonderfully in a creature heavy Overrun-type deck since they refill your hand. Greater Good is especially good here since sac-ing creatures with Overrun on them gives you an extra three cards per creature anyway (and the sacing itself costs no mana).

Hope this gives you some ideas! Good luck :)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Grim-Reaper

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 09:55:15 am »
What format are we talking about?  I ask because it matters greatly about what cards/strategies we can recommend.

Edit: I see you are talking casual but does that mean we can use any card like Vintage? or do you guys restrict yourselves to Modern?

None of us own any power nine cards for example. We ask each other if it's okay to play cards that are banned or restricted in Legacy, like my Necropotence deck. So most likely Legacy applies to our casual pool.

From the mentioned cards defense grid looks sweet. That makes a fog effect cost at least 4, Batwing Brume 5... Plow Under would be better the more I focus on Beastmaster Ascension and Garruk Wildspeaker instead of Overrun.

Good ideas so far, thank you already :-)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:01:43 pm by Grim-Reaper »