deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Atlazan Speculation  (Read 574 times)

Jace27

• Combo+Combo=More combos :)
  • Decks
Atlazan Speculation
« on: March 05, 2017, 06:49:34 pm »
Wizards leaked some packaging designs on a set called Atlazan (link to images: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/atlazan-an-atlantean-plane) There are many theories out there about it being like the mythical city of Atlantis. My personal opinion is that it will be based on the Aztecs since at the top of the packs, the design looks like the Aztec calendar. In addition, the Aztec were originally thought to be from a part of Mexico called Aztlan before they were driven into a lake where they built a floating city. This is all just speculation, and I want to hear some other opinions.
For my opponents, a healthy diet of counterspells, artifacts, and crazy combos.

Jabilac

• Decks
Re: Atlazan Speculation
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 11:42:04 pm »
I think the name Atlazan just sounds too much like Atlantis to disregard the similarities completely and to be honest I never really looked at the detailed design at the top of those packages.  Looking closely at those packs today and some general google searches related to Aztec carvings there does appear to be some similarities between those carvings and what is pictured on those packages.  I think your on to something here though.  I took it a step further and looked at the headgear being worn on the Conquest of Power packaging and it bares some resemblance to Aztec Headdresses.

Maybe a mixing of the mythologies?  Atlantis as people generally picture it mixed with a Aztec mythologies?  I am not well versed in Aztec histories/mythology but it doesn't seem to far outside the realm of possibility.  Interesting to say the least :)

Jace27

• Combo+Combo=More combos :)
  • Decks
Re: Atlazan Speculation
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 02:03:19 am »
A theory about Conquest of Power is that someone will try to sink the main city. It could be some outside group, like the Spanish did to the Aztecs (possibly related to Nicol Bolas's plans). It could also be the underwater creatures, (like the naga and merfolk on the packaging) and if the city ends up sinking, it could be like Atlantis.
For my opponents, a healthy diet of counterspells, artifacts, and crazy combos.