deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Lich Lord of Unx question  (Read 454 times)

Firegriff

• Decks
Lich Lord of Unx question
« on: March 07, 2017, 03:03:54 pm »
So, here is what happened in a nutshell.  I had Lich Lord of Unx and triggered its second ability multiple times (I had a goof chunk of many) to finish off an opponent's hp with twice the necessary damage.  He then steals Lich Lord with Rubinia and argues that since Lich Lord is no longer under my control on the field, that he takes no damage from the attack.  Based on my reading of the card, he should have (the others sided with him... Probably because they knew they were next).  Who is right?

Traius

• Decks
Re: Lich Lord of Unx question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 03:19:19 pm »
The ability is not removed from the stack when he leaves your control, and the stacked ability certainly does not become the opponent's stacked ability because he took control of the creature. As such, barring some unrelated stifle/stifle-like ability, you would still cause life-loss equal to the number of zombies you control when the ability resolves.

Since he is a zombie himself, your opponent taking control of him would reduce the life loss incurred, but it would not negate it (unless he was the only zombie you controlled).

Relevant ruling:
112.7a Once activated or triggered, an ability exists on the stack independently of its source. Destruction or removal of the source after that time won't affect the ability.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 03:46:14 pm »
Traius has it. The only way he could have avoided that damage was to use something akin to Disallow, countering the ability itself.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 04:16:50 pm »
That is what I thought.  There was no disallow or anything like that.  Ah well, should have won that EDH game 😅  It was about 8 seperate triggers, so no way he'd have been able to stop all of them