deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Autor Tópico: [Modern] UR Prowess  (Lida 297 vezes)

TigerDragonZord

• Decks
[Modern] UR Prowess
« em: Março 19, 2017, 01:46:30 pm »
UR Prowess

Card by Card examination:

Monastery Swiftspear and Stormchaser Mage: What to say? They are the bread-and-butter of ALL Prowess-based decks. Your opening hand should include at least one, if not both, of these creatures.

Abbot of Keral Keep: Rarely should this be a turn 2 play, unless you NEED a creature on the field (or hope to hit a land). Ideally, you'll want to cast this on turn 3 and then cast the spell (with your third land) you've exiled.

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy//Jace, Telepath Unbound: Card draw! Then when he flips, you can cast a spell from your GY for his -3 ability.

Bedlam Reveler: A beefy 3/4 creature that will almost always only cost RR to cast it (if the game goes on that long), and more card draw! There are only two copies because that is really all you need. You don't want to be seeing this in your opening hand.

Expedite: Haste is great for Jace, Reveler, or Abbot, but you really just want to get the Prowess trigger from this and the additional card.

Lightning Bolt: Versatile. Cleans up early creatures, or it could deal the last few points of damage to a player, plus a Prowess trigger.

Mutagenic Growth: Obviously, you'll be using life to cast this one. But again, +2/+2 AND Prowess trigger? Both you and your opponent will be way less worried about YOUR life points.

Slip Through Space: Same idea as Expedite, a cheap spell that draws a card and triggers Prowess. This has the added benefit of making something unblockable.

Titan's Strength: +3/+1, Prowess trigger and Scry up to find that next spell!

Twisted Image: Replaces itself, Prowess trigger, and makes Stormchaser Mage into a powerhouse!

Vapor Snag: Prowess trigger, removes a creature (in the absence of Slip Through Space when you need to attack) and pings for 1 damage.

Temur Battle Rage: Double Strike. Prowess trigger. And sometimes Trample! Win-win-win!

A turn 3 winning hand looks like this (and one I've actually gotten during a game):
Stormchaser Mage, Mutagenic Growth, Mutagenic Growth, Titan's Strength, Temur Battle Rage, and two lands. Draw into that 3rd land and you deal 24 damage on turn 3.

Or, you can still deal 11 damage on turn 2 if you miss the land drop.

Games will rarely go past turn 4 or 5, especially if you have more than one creature out and they're all hitting their Prowess triggers. There are only 18 lands in the deck (since nothing will ever cost you more than 2 mana) and sometimes that still feels like too much if you're drawing those instead of the spells you need.

Ideally, you'll be on the offensive the entire time, putting a fast clock on your opponent, but there are those few times where Prowess will keep your creatures alive too. Don't be afraid to slow down a turn and play defense if it means a comeback to win.

For other matchups, the sideboard has a some counterspells to protect you from removal, some extra creatures - one for more card draw and one for more Prowess fun - and additional removal in case your Bolts weren't quite big enough to kill that bothersome creature! This deck even holds up pretty well in a multiplayer game. I took out one player on turn 4 and the other on turn 5!

Since Khans, I've been in love with the Prowess mechanic and this is, by far, my favorite deck to play.
« Última modificação: Março 19, 2017, 01:50:08 pm por TigerDragonZord »

hotrodscott

• Decks
Re: [Modern] UR Prowess
« Responder #1 em: Março 20, 2017, 02:18:54 am »
oh man, not sure I could run a prowess deck w/o kiln fiend and manamorphose! :p   Looks fun! I love the archetype.   maybe some card draw/fixing? serum visions, sleight of hand, etc.  apostle's blessing to protect the team.  Is jace worth it?  seems like he might be diluting the deck a bit.   

Looks fun!

ladof

• Decks
« Responder #2 em: Março 20, 2017, 03:27:15 am »
Out of curiosity, why is Vedalken Blademaster not in these types of decks? Too slow? I think I'd rather see him in there than the Jace, personally.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

hotrodscott

• Decks
« Responder #3 em: Março 21, 2017, 12:40:08 am »
Ya, Vedalken Blademaster is just too slow.   You want to "go off" asap, so he's a bit slow for that, and at his relative toughness and only +1/+1 for each prowess trigger, he's not going to make up for being a late game play and just is not going to get the job done if you're starting on T4 when they're probably going to have an established board.   Swiftspear can start the beats on T1 and benefit from triggers on T2 and help you get a pretty wide bunch of attackers to start trying to win on T3/T4. The 2-drops either have evasion or card advantage, so they're better than just being an on/below-curve prowess creatures like he is.

Reveler is a great addition to the archetype (and is an exception to the high cost rule)  because he can be cast pretty easily for 1-2 mana if you're on-track with your T3/T4 beat down plan, and the "discard your hand, draw 3 cards"  thing will equate to netting +1 or +2 cards usually if you're deck was doing what it was supposed to before you cast him.   Refilling your hand with pumps spells/cantrips to pump the team helps a ton because a lot of times with these, you're a 1-trick pony and if you don't kill them before your hand is empty, there isn't anything in your deck that you can topdeck to get you back into the 1-shot kill zone, so you're stuck with trying to wear them down with whatever is on the board and your singleton pump spells which really doesn't work very well.  (nothing quite as miserable as still being around on turn ten with one of these decks... I've been there more than I'd like to admit and think I've pulled 1-2 out and the rest were just slow agonizing defeats.)

I'd go with more pumps or cantrips or a kiln fiend or even a delver of secrets before him. :p