deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Zombie Puppets - Comments  (Read 148 times)

Comment Bot

Zombie Puppets - Comments
« on: March 23, 2017, 09:36:49 pm »
This is the comment topic for Zombie Puppets.

Please use the Reply button to comment. If you do not have an account yet, please use the link on top to register.

Dies ist das Kommentarthema für Zombie Puppets.

Bitte benutze den Knopf "Reply", um einen Kommentar zu schreiben. Wenn du noch kein Benutzerkonto hier hast, benutze bitte den Link "Register" (oben) um dich zu registrieren.

DelverMage

• Decks
Re: Zombie Puppets - Comments
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 09:36:54 pm »
(Updated for latest card list)

//Lands
4 Evolving Wilds
6 Island
4 Sunken Hollow
9 Swamp
//Spells
2 Cultivator's Caravan
4 Fatal Push
2 Implement of Examination
4 Metalspinner's Puzzleknot
2 Renegade Map
4 Sinister Concoction
4 Strange Augmentation
//Creatures
2 Advanced Stitchwing
2 Marionette Master
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Stitchwing Skaab
3 Wharf Infiltrator

//Sideboard
SB: 2 Altar's Reap
SB: 2 Flaying Tendrils
SB: 2 Liliana, the Last Hope
SB: 3 Oath of Liliana
SB: 3 Tezzeret's Touch
SB: 3 To the Slaughter

What I have here is a deck that works quite consistently and effectively.  It is not Tier 1 material, but at the same time, I have taken down 4 Color Cat, Mardu Vehicles, AND G/B Delirium with it.
The perfect start looks like:

Turn 1: Swamp which is tapped for a Sinister Concoction.
Fatal Push is not bad if you are on the Draw, or if you are playing Mardu or B/G Constrictor decks.  Crypt Breaker or Renegade Map better than no first turn play, but if I have Evolving Wilds in my hand, I may play that first turn and hold the other two cards.

Turn 2: Island and tap both land for a Metalspinner’s Puzzleknot.  If you have Wharf Infiltrator, that could be played as well, but the puzzleknot gets you another card to start.

Turn 3: Sunken Hollow (or any other basic land) and tap out for a Cultivator’s Caravan.  You could immediately tap that for any additional 1 mana permanents, or to keep around to start some removal with either Fatal Push or Sinister Concoction trigger.  Remember to toss a zombie when discarding, if you have the choice.

Turn 4: Evolving Wilds on turn 4 is good, if we have the Cultivator’s Caravan on the board.  This is the set up turn, where various options can be utilized.  Implement of Examination can be cast and sacked in the same turn.  At this point we want to do what we can to make sure that we have Delirium.  By now there should be an Instant (Fatal Push), a Land (Evolving Wilds), an Artifact (Renegade Map or Implement of Examination), and an Enchantment (Sinister Concoction).  Likely there is a creature too, from Sinister Concoction’s discard requirement, plus whatever got pulled off your library.

Turn 5: Play any land, except for Evolving Wilds.  Tap all 5 plus the caravan to play Marionette Master, and use the three +1/+1 token option.  That makes him a 4/6.  From here on out, every artifact we sacrifice causes 4 damage to our opponent.  (Don’t do it yet……)

Turn 6: Play any land and then enchant Marionette Master with Strange Augmentation.  With Delirium active, the master becomes a 7/9.  Sacrifice 2 artifacts causing 7 damage each to your opponent, (or 3 for the win) and attack with Marionette Master for the win.

Now, obviously, a real game is not going to flow as nicely as this and other plays are going to have to be made.  Each one keeps you alive until you can get this thread in place.  The nice thing about this deck is that there is alternate win conditions.  The recurring zombie army may well finish off your opponent before the Marionette Master gets a chance to bash their head in.  Often, it will be a combination of both.

Zombie Puppets boasts 8 removal spells main board, 4 mana fixer/accelerants, 8 card draw cards (that can play more like 12 with the Metalspinner’s Puzzleknot), and 9 zombies that just refuse to stay in the graveyard!

There is enough discard and sacrifice abilities to ensure an early delirium, and then Strange Augmentation turns any one of your creatures into a staunch defender or devastating attacker!

Wharf Infiltrator is here to help speed up our ability to reach Delirium, and cycle cards more.  It is a replacement for Cryptbreaker, who was originally here as an enabeler, with the ability to provide Delirium instantly, as well as put zombie cards in the graveyard and a 2/2 zombie token.  The problem is, ninety percent of the time, he became a chump blocker.  Cryptbreakers benefit was too situational.  Wharf Infiltrator should generate opportunity and still support Delirium.  Plus, he becomes a nice vehicle for Strange Augmentation if needed.

[Side story:  My favorite victory with this deck to date is when I attacked with a 6/8 Marionette Master with two Strange Augmentations on it.  In response to the attack announcement they played Torrential Gearhulk intending to block.  I don’t remember which instant they tried, because I triggered a Metalspinner’s Puzzleknot.  That gave me delirium, then I triggered Renegade Map.  The Marionette Master became a 10/10 and my opponent died to the two sacrificed artifacts before the blocker step even began.]

The sideboard is not as well thought out.  I am still putting in and taking out things to see what may be effective or helpful.

Liliana, the Last Hope has been effective, along with Oath of Liliana and Tezzeret's Touch.  They are nice change up cards from the sideboard that are useful against Mardu Vehicles AND 4 Color Copy Cat.  Altar's Reap is a brand new addition, and I have never brought in To the Slaughter yet either.  I have that here for the Superfriends editions that some decks are sideboarding into.  I have yet to face that configuration with this deck yet.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 03:30:00 pm by DelverMage »

DelverMage

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 12:04:52 pm »
I just got my ass handed to me by a W/R vehicle weenie deck.  So my latest sideboard fix is 2 Flaying Tendrils.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 03:43:46 pm by DelverMage »

DelverMage

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 03:36:28 pm »
Zombie Puppets was consistently getting run over by fast weenie decks and Mardu Vehicles.

Further examination resulted in the removal of Cryptbreaker, and Implements of Malice.  Both were entirely too situational, and Implements just didn't add anything to board most of the time.

I found that I just did not the zombie recycling program started soon enough, and I needed a more proactive early presence.

I added 2 Implements of Examination, 3 Wharf Infiltrator, and another Stitchwing Skaab.

Testing will commence.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 03:42:52 pm by DelverMage »