deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Casual] B/G Counters  (Read 139 times)

HowlingLotus

• Decks
[Casual] B/G Counters
« on: April 02, 2017, 11:37:59 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/81091/701540-b-g-counters

***Note that this deck is for Casual multiplayer games.

Looking for suggestions on replacements or changing the amount of certain cards to prevent redundancy. I tried to keep the mana curve between 1-4 CMC so that I can always play something and potentially have extra mana for abilities that require payment. I cut out a fair amount of cards to keep it at 60 cards and kept the runner ups in the Maybeboard.

Here is some of my thought process for the cards and why I chose them to include:

Winding Constrictor , Corpsejack Menace , and Forgotten Ancient // 4 copies auto-include as it's what the deck was built around
Nissa, Voice of Zendikar // Her -2 ability is thematic and +1 gives me some fodder. Her -7 is situational, but I included other card draw methods and some creatures with Life link.
Triumph of Ferocity and Ordeal of Nylea // They provide card draw based on pumping up my creatures. Thinning out Land from my library with the latter seems useful.
Feast on the Fallen // Perfect for multiplayer games. I get to cash in on other opponents whacking one another. 
Aetherborn Marauder // Flying is nice and Life link will help me stay in the game. If I have combo pieces out it wouldn't be hard to gain a lot of counters on it.
Avatar of the Resolute // Trample is great for offense while Reach can be used situationally on defense. Playing it with only 1 +1/+1 is fine as I can pump it with other cards later.
Chronomaton // If I have leftover mana I can pump it up. Gets a lot scarier when more synergy cards start hitting the board for more counters.
Hydra Broodmaster // Base stats aren't bad for the initial cost, but the Monstrosity ability is why I included it. It can be a win more card, but also situational to hold onto in case my board gets wiped.
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord // 1 copy for the 1BG ability. Might be overkill considering I can win with large creatures.
Kalonian Hydra // High chance of drawing attention from removal spells, but who could pass up the synergy! 
Managorger Hydra // It's basically Forgotten Ancient Junior. While it can't share its counters it can come out a turn earlier on curve and has Trample.
Varolz, the Scar-Striped // Screams "jackpot". Most of my creatures are 4 or less CMC and all have the potential to be large when they die. Deadly combo with the synergy cards.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 11:40:30 pm by HowlingLotus »
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.

Paintersknight

• Decks
Re: B/G Counters - Comments
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 12:26:34 am »
Looks pretty solid, but a couple suggestions.
Choose to keep Jarad or Varolz, and replace the other with Hardened Scales.
Chronomaton can be Sideboard, Space in deck for kill spells / removal.
Other than that it seems very good.
+1 from me.

HowlingLotus

• Decks
Re: [Casual] B/G Counters
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 08:05:52 am »
I did make a few slight changes. I stuck with the high risk/high reward style with no removal, but updated my Sideboard to include options if I'm having a tough streak.

V2 Changes:

+4 Scrounging Bandar [I feel they will be more effective than Chronomaton. They can create more counters without having to pay a cost or tapping like Chronomaton has to.]
+1 Managorger Hydra [Having 4 increases the chances of drawing them which is important now that I removed my 1 cost creatures.]

-3 Chronomaton [Moved to Sideboard]
-2 Varolz, the Scar-Striped [I misread how he interacts with cards in the graveyard. I feel it isn't worth keeping him in as my creatures have low base stats]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:08:46 am by HowlingLotus »
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.