deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] U/W/G deck  (Read 197 times)

Kingofmottinos

• Decks
[Standard] U/W/G deck
« on: April 25, 2017, 06:22:59 am »
I've been trying to build a deck around some of my favourite cards from this set, but I don't know how to complete it... do you think it is any good?
//Main
3 Cast Out
3 Champion of Rhonas
4 Channeler Initiate
2 Cryptolith Rite
2 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Honored Hydra
2 Nissa, Steward of Elements
3 Rhonas the Indomitable
3 Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun
2 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
1 Vizier of Many Faces
2 Vizier of the Menagerie

Things you can do:
- Vizier of the Menagerie let you see your first card of the deck, allowing nissa to use better her second ability.
- You can cast some big creatures like Ulamog or the hydra without paying anything thanks to Nissa and Rhonas' champion
- You can make whatever big fat creature you have unblockable thanks to temmet, who also helps Rhonas going online
- Vizier of many faces can be a second copy of Temmet or a copy of something big.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: [Standard] U/W/G deck
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 06:55:02 am »
  Here's a recommendation for you: if you play scaled behemoth with the champion of rhonas you can get a very big, HEXPROOF creature on the board very quickly. This way when you play Vizier of many faces he can enter the field as a copy of your hexproof creature. Best part of all this, if you embalm your creature while Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun is on the field it will return as a (7/8) creature with HEXPROOF, Vigilance and becomes unblockable during the combat phase you choose it. Making tokens is a dangerous game when you've got zombies to make.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:50:40 am by G. Moto »

Kingofmottinos

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 06:52:30 pm »
That's just savage! Thanks for your suggestion... but the real question is: do you think this idea can make it to tier 1? I'm looking for a tier 1 deck this time around. I've always played budget but i've won a modern masters box that i'm planning to open, hoping that I can get enough good cards to exchange so that I can build competitive decks in standard for 2 or 3 sets.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 09:57:28 am »
   Most decks can be made Tier 1 if you refine the deck build well enough. For example, if you build this deck and add some copies of synchronized strike and spidery grasp, you could untap the champion of rhonas after it EXERTs so that you could use it for combat and essentially give it vigilance so that you can play even more creatures next turn. Also cartouche of solidarity would be a good touch for this deck because everybody loves first strike. Mighty leap will make sure that damage gets through especially for your bigger creatures.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 09:49:22 pm »
  It looks good so far, the mana curve doesn't look as big but it's still manageable. The number one thing you HAVE to do for this deck is this: PROTECT CHAMPION OF RHONAS. It will win you so many games simply because it's ability will let you play big creatures from your hand for free. When it attacks, exert and give it flying, when it's about to be dealt damage, flash in vizier of deferment and remove it from the board, if it's targeted for a spell use hapatra's mark and give it hexproof. the champion of rhonas will be your secret weapon to your deck because even if you do have 8 or 9 mana on the board you can use that towards instant and sorcery spells rather than just flopping a creature and hoping the enemy doesn't counter it.

Kingofmottinos

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 12:46:36 am »
Ok, got it! One question: why Hapatra's mark and not Blossoming defense?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:19:39 am by G. Moto »

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 04:37:08 am »
  As far as combat goes the blossoming defense would be a good choice because it gives +2/+2. However, compared with what the current standard is going to shape up into with creatures such as Hapatra, vizier of Poisons and Archfiend of Ifnir you'll be GLAD to get rid of those -1/-1 counters that they'll be dropping. Also keep in mind that with the latest Innistrad set there may be a lot of discard decks using MADNESS triggers. It would be a better long term investment for you as far as the up and coming standard goes.