deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Storyline thoughts  (Read 296 times)

Firegriff

• Decks
Storyline thoughts
« on: April 27, 2017, 12:31:08 am »
So after reading the lasting story wherein Nissa confronts Kefnet, I have a theory about the missing gods.  I think they are the Eldrazi titans.  Emrakel (who appeared uncorrupted to Nissa in her dream, may be on the plane in Nissa's psyche), Kozelek and Ulamog.  Since the missing gods' stars are there but not there angry, it would make sense to me.  They invaded other planes to drain the energy they needed to take back their world.  Looked at this way, Emrakel was trying to create an army to wage war to take back her stolen world from Nicol Bolas.  Anyone else have theories?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:38:40 am by Firegriff »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Re: Storyline thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 07:00:29 am »
Personally, I'd wait before weighing in on this particular discussion, but there are few inaccuracies that will make you reconsider your initial theory, Firegriff

In the current storyline, Nissa discovered Nicol Bolas corrupted Amonkhet, rather than create it. This occurred within the last few decades.
The Eldrazi titans were initially drawn from the Blind Eternities by Ugin, Sorin Markov and Nahiri thousands of years ago and imprisoned on Zendikar, only to have been released when Chandra was lured to the plane.

We know from the lore, through Ugin and Emrakul, that the Eldrazi Titans are ancient beings that transcend time and space, they are in essence, entropy. Either way, the gate watch used the leylines on Zendikar to destroy two of the Eldrazi Titans, and Emrakul was drawn to Innistrad by Nahiri through the Drownyard Temple. Emrakul subsequently imprisoned herself in Innistrad's moon, using Tamiyo's scroll.

I think Nissa is reminded of Emrakul, because of how helpless Emrakul made her feel when she took control of her body. In the same way she is made to feel helpless in Amonkhet, not being able to commune with the plane or to see through Kefnet's illusionary trap.

Without the entire of the current storyline having been released, I can make a vague inference. I think that Nicol Bolas is draining the mana from Amonkhet to fuel his desire to become what he once was. Nissa sees a hundred, and a thousand worlds wrapped with a black shadowy line.

Nicol Bolas is no doubt doing the same to other worlds. Since the Gods of Amonkhet are essentially infused with the mana of the plane, Nicol Bolas is no doubt using this connection to manipulate their essence, like Nissa does to Kefnet during the trial of knowledge, only on a greater scale. Oketra has no knowledge of before the God Pharaoh when questioned by Nissa. It is likely that Nicol Bolas had her memory erased.

There are eight gods of Amonkhet, right! However, the missing three could have been imprisoned by Nicol Bolas, perhaps because they could not be manipulated in the same way the others were. (I can only speculate)

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 07:51:41 am »
  That's a pretty interesting speculation there. But that does raise an interesting question though; If the 5 gods introduced in this set were Mono-colored, what do you think are the odds that the next three are multi-colored? Or maybe the eldrazi were the three missing gods (hence how they were idolized on Zendikar). Also if you look closely, Grim strider does look look an eldrazi himself except that its a horror instead of an eldrazi. In the card lore it says "it's taller than the gods.....and even now it PASSES THROUGH MY DREAMS". That sounds like some serious eldrazi stuff. That or maybe its the original home of Ashiok, nightmare weaver. That would be an interesting plot twist.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 09:56:51 pm »
  That's a pretty interesting speculation there. But that does raise an interesting question though; If the 5 gods introduced in this set were Mono-colored, what do you think are the odds that the next three are multi-colored? Or maybe the eldrazi were the three missing gods (hence how they were idolized on Zendikar). Also if you look closely, Grim strider does look look an eldrazi himself except that its a horror instead of an eldrazi. In the card lore it says "it's taller than the gods.....and even now it PASSES THROUGH MY DREAMS". That sounds like some serious eldrazi stuff. That or maybe its the original home of Ashiok, nightmare weaver. That would be an interesting plot twist.

Well, in regards to that specific flavour text, it was a dream of Grim Strider by one of the Crop Initiates, which lurks beyond the Hekma, a barrier which protects the city. It's important to know that all of the initiates, with exception of a few, are no older that twenty. Before that, the plane was distorted by Nicol Bolas. There is a powerful necromantic effect that exists on Amonkhet that raises all dead, Grim Strider is probably a distortion of a dead beast that predates the necromantic effect.
The purpose of the Hekma isn't something which is known currently, other than it offers protection from the dead that exist beyond. It is interesting none the less, that they said three gods, were missing perhaps this is an indirect reference to Eldrazi, but we'll have to see.

You are right though, I do think that they are multicoloured, like Ephara, God of the Polis. The significance of why these three are missing is something that is not known, at present. It is said that their stars are dimmed, which precludes to them still being alive... Ulamog and Kozilek are both dead, however.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 10:26:49 pm »
Of course, that was a vision by the entity in Nissa's head.  If that is Emrakul, perhaps she is not fully aware of their destruction.  We know that a planeswalker has changed history before (Thrones of Tarkir), so it is not inconceivable to think that Nicol Bolas sent crippled former gods to a fierce world in yhe past hoping the plane would finish them off for him.  However, it is all conjecture.  I just found this as an interesting possibility.  Would love to work on the storyline or designing cards, but I have no inside information personally.  As a writer and storyteller, I was stating the direction I would have likely taken it.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 05:49:39 am »
ok so now i have another question (strap in your seat belts, I tend to ask a lot of questions): The eldrazi eat worlds by devouring the mana. Nicol Bolas wants to reach supreme God like power and surprisingly wanted them released. Ugin did not want the eldrazi titans destroyed and were mad at the gatewatch because their significance was unknown towards the multiverse. Personally I feel like the eldrazi are like the multiverse's garbage disposal. The big thing is that Emrakul WANTED to be locked away, as if she's waiting on something to transpire. The question is this.....what if Emrakul WANTS Nicol Bolas or someone to achieve god like power so that they can serve as HER new scion? With the deaths of ulamog and kozilek some body needs to take the new mantle of world devastator. Think the silver surfer to Galactus, it would be far easier for a single being to rip a planet apart and give that mana as one nice big package than to have mini eldrazi try to take over. What do you guys think, all in favor of Silver Surfer Planeswalkers?

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 06:00:16 am »
Interesting possibility.  So why would she be in Nissa's head, not Nicol Bolas'?

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 06:13:27 am »
  Bolas used to be God status before the mending, he controls BLACK, BLUE, and RED mana. He has power and will and might and he cares not for the well-being of any world. He seeks conquest and dominion over all and aims to reign supreme. You cannot make a being that seeks to rule bow down willingly to someone who even he believes that he can reign over. That's like a Tree telling Water that he is superior even though the tree needs water to live. The elf can speak to worlds while Bolas simply wants to conquer them. Her feelings make her subject to bending to the will and feelings of others. That's the difference between the Elf and the Dragon.