deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Abzan Aggro.... Anti Mardu Vehicles.... Opinions?  (Read 346 times)

tyler9219

• Decks
Abzan Aggro.... Anti Mardu Vehicles.... Opinions?
« on: April 27, 2017, 05:07:39 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/85373/718293-abzan-aggro

Been testing these two and can say this deck beats Mardu almost 80% of the time.... Opinions from anybody on how to make the deck better? Not just against Mardu, against all. Thank you

jonnie

• EDH Degenerate | Washed-up Modern Player
  • Decks
Re: Abzan Aggro.... Anti Mardu Vehicles.... Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 06:57:48 pm »
With Felidar Guardian's banning just yesterday, Standard is currently in a state of disarray. Mardu vehicles was expected to fall out of favor since all the hate the new set introduced. However, the recent banning of Felidar Guardian, Saheeli Cat decks have been gutted. This also directly influences Mardu since it's fast clock isn't the necessary thing to outrace Saheeli Cat anymore.
Right now things are very experimental in Standard and people aren't sure what to expect. Planeswalkers are still going to be huge. Midrange decks are expect to rise.
Keep an eye on things and adjust accordingly.

tyler9219

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 12:03:51 am »
Thanks for the advice! I did not know that standard had any bans? I thought that they said that they were not Banning anything at the moment

Philippe Saner

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 04:02:03 am »
Special emergency announcement after they realized that they were making a terrible mistake.

tyler9219

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 04:06:49 am »
Well than..... Thanks for the heads up!

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 05:02:30 am »
Amonkhet has been playable on MTGO since Monday and they quickly realized that they made Felidar Guardian better, so away he went.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 09:17:07 am »
Abzan is about the defense and Mardu is about the offense. If you take away the mardu vehicle's ability to be aggressive (in a way keep the breaks on), then they cannot run over you. Artifact destruction is always a good way to destroy a vehicle. Either that or make your defenses so strong that the enemy cannot climb over it.

tyler9219

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 01:39:21 pm »
Once again thanks for the heads-up about the guardian. To the other reply, do you think that this deck will work against others?

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 01:39:35 am »
  The idea of an Aggressive Abzan deck is possible, and with careful construction it can work. My main suggestion is don't make the deck so anti-artifact that it doesn't have proper protection from other decks. For example; Manglehorn is a great card because it's a creature that can destroy artifacts just by entering the field. Honestly this can be a good deck. I just don't want it to be so anti one thing that it lacks the core it needs to stand up to everything else.

tyler9219

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 02:11:58 am »
I can replace the dissenters deliverance with Grasp of darkness. And just sideboard dissenters?

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 02:49:14 am »
 That would be a good idea. Here's my suggestion to you: Creatures, Spells, Artifacts, Lands in this order. When you build your deck keep thee things in mind and go in order. I'll give you my reasoning on this:

Your deck is like your army and the creatures you use are your warriors. You can't roll into battle with big guns and not have any able bodied soldiers to wield those weapons. Sure you can make the deck auto pilot itself with burn spells but no weapon can out way the value of a good soldier. Besides no troops on the ground means that you'll be leaving yourself vulnerable to frontal attacks from the enemy. You want as mush defense as you can get, especially in an Abzan deck.

Your spells can either be the body of your deck or the support of your deck, it all depends on the build. I would Highly recommend having your spells be the support for this deck, that way your creatures will out last your opponent's army and you'll be able to keep them at a distance while eliminating possible threats as you need to.

Artifacts are not mandatory for every deck but depending on what you're playing it sure can come in handy. For example; Bontu's monument will make your Black creature spells cost less AND you get the life gain/ Drain off of your opponent just by playing creatures. If you focus on adding more black creatures you can play more in a single turn and it'll help tip the tide of battle in your favor long term.

Lands will come as you need them to and can be easily adjusted. Just make sure you don't have TOO many non-basic lands in your deck. Having all your lands come into play tapped will definitely slow down your deck too much so have a good mix of basic lands as well.

I'm going to create an Abzan deck and I would like for you to comment on it and give me your opinion on it as well. I'll make it public in a post so that every one can see it, this way you get various opinions on the same build that you can learn from.

tyler9219

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 02:54:02 am »
Thank you so much for the advice! I will definitely be on the lookout for your post. I'm going to give it more thought and come back with a different Abzan deck. I'll send you a pm! Thanks again.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 03:07:03 am »
IT's no problem, if you need anything else let us all know. We'd be glad to help you.