deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Competitive simic?  (Read 601 times)

8karma

• Decks
[Modern] Competitive simic?
« on: May 09, 2017, 01:34:20 am »
Competitive simic?

Is this even possible?
TBH I havnt played this deck because I don't have the money to buy any new cards, just throwing it together to get some feed back. Simic is intriguing for how much hate it gets.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: [Modern] Competitive simic?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 03:01:17 am »
Any deck can be competitive, but if you want an actual playable deck that you can afford then why not drop the high dollar stuff in favor of cards that have similar effects or that work just as good? Also even though you have a lot of high dollar cards in this deck there isn't much synergy in this deck.

For example: Tarmogoyf is a creature that you'd have in a deck that utilizes semi-mill tactics and possibly even delirium tactics if you wanted to make it as large as possible in a quick fashion. Now if you focus on the Kalonian Hydra + Master Biomancer then you'd have a good engine going where all of your creatures would enter larger than life.

Now if you delved deeper into the older sets you'd find some diamonds in the rough that would make this a competitive deck. Alpha authority, burst of strength, crowned ceratok, death's presence, druid's deliverance, and even forced adaptation + fathom mage are all from the same block and can be used effectively in this deck (Ravnica).

Archetype of imagination would be a great late game surprise that your opponent will not expect after you've spent the entire game beefing up your army. Fleetfeather Cockatrice is a dangerous creature where G/U comes together to make a GROWING DEATHTOUCH FLYER. All of these are from (Theros). 

Artful dodge will make your biggest threats hit home with more accuracy, Ghostform is similar but it effects TWO creatures instead of just one, Ghostly flicker is a great combat trick for creatures that have enter the battlefield effects or if you want to save someone in combat, and my personal favorite is howlgeist whom if you keep making stronger will become nearly unblockable (Innistrad).

These are all recommendations for your deck that would not only drop the price but also make it more feasible to put the deck together. Your deck idea is not bad, but if you want an actual deck to play then why not try these ideas?

8karma

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 08:36:39 am »
Very good points, thank you for spending the time to make a cohesive response :) very much appreciated. So I made a budget list and got it to around 150 which is still out of my range but makes it a lot more feasible for the future. My main motive for tarmogoyf was that it's a 2 drop with some weight to it. My debate was to add cytoplast root-kin and chasm skulker in varrying amounts, but in the "starting hand" it usually took until turn 3-4 to get a decent presence on the board. Without a decent two drop the tempo goes to poop :( . I'll try to tinker with the nitty gritty a bit and see what works :) I'll post again when I think I've got something and maybe get some more feedback ? Thank you again for the recommendations.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 09:54:56 am »
  It would be my pleasure to aid you in your deck building. Just let me know and Ill do whatever
I can to help you.

8karma

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 09:18:20 pm »
Alrighty, I've made a few changes, switched around alchemist refuge, added a sideboard, and changed the 3 vacancies created by moving tarmogoyf. :)